Marriage and Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage and Tires?

I may need a little help with this one. I bought the Falcon last year so I could ride along with my girlfriend (now my wife), who rides a Honda. Great so far. The tires are 8 year old Cheng Shins, with quite obvious sidewall cracking, but I rode it anyway, having made peace with my maker some time ago. However, being married and quite happy now, I'd rather not buy the farm on the XS. So I ordered new tires. Dunlop GT 501's. The only problem is the timing. We're buying a new house and, well, we could use the $200 for little things like food and electricity and stuff while coming up with cash for the closing. So I had a blowout, all right. Not with the Cheng Shins, but with my wife. I may have been better off losing the front tire on the Falcon. Anyway, if there are any XSers out there who might have a few minutes, please reply with your opinions of just how dangerous old tires can be. It's not really the tires, just my poor timing at fault. Or maybe it was the Morgan Carbtune II in the nice ballistic nylon case...
    Beg for forgiveness.
    14.29%
    Grovel.
    9.52%
    Plead for mercy.
    38.10%
    Hide.
    38.10%
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Re: Marriage and Tires?

Originally posted by tommystinson
    I may need a little help with this one. I bought the Falcon last year so I could ride along with my girlfriend (now my wife), who rides a Honda. Great so far. The tires are 8 year old Cheng Shins, with quite obvious sidewall cracking, but I rode it anyway, having made peace with my maker some time ago. However, being married and quite happy now, I'd rather not buy the farm on the XS. So I ordered new tires. Dunlop GT 501's. The only problem is the timing. We're buying a new house and, well, we could use the $200 for little things like food and electricity and stuff while coming up with cash for the closing. So I had a blowout, all right. Not with the Cheng Shins, but with my wife. I may have been better off losing the front tire on the Falcon. Anyway, if there are any XSers out there who might have a few minutes, please reply with your opinions of just how dangerous old tires can be. It's not really the tires, just my poor timing at fault. Or maybe it was the Morgan Carbtune II in the nice ballistic nylon case...
    Life is too short to ride on cheap tires and it'll be a lot shorter if you keep riding a big bike on Cheng sh*t tires.

From the price, 2 C notes for a pair of Dunlops is a pretty good deal. Be sure and tell her how hard you searched to get such a good deal. Chicks understand a bargin. ;o)

Geezer
    (Single again for the past 20 years)
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

She rides a honda.... hmm... she should understand... Just tell her you can't pay for the house if you're dead.
      On the other hand... got a life insurance policy?

Just don't worry about it.... make-up sex roxx...

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

With what these bikes are capable of, you do not want to ride on unsafe tires. And 8 year old Cheng Shin tires should qualify as unsafe (I wasn't that impressed with new Cheng Shins). Few, if any, components on a bike are as critical to safety as the tires. If she wants you around to even be mad at, good tires are a necessity!
        Robert
        79 SF

Comment

Being married and broke seems to be a way of life. FWIW, I found a New Dunlop K491 front 90/90-19 (HD size, stock XS is 100/90-19) on ebay for $20.00. Shipping was $15.00, mount and balance another $20.00. Total = $55.00. Tire is 3 years old, though. Back tire Dunlop K491 is on sale at http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/det...uct_id=4103-91
          for $87.00 plus $7.00 shipping. Another $20.00 for mount and balance = $114.00. Total for 2 new tires ready to roll = $169.00. (Have to put up with a front tire that says - in black, hardly noticeable - "Harley-Davidson".)

We all face it some time or another. I gave up riding for several years when the kids were young at my wife's request. She was the one to suggest I get back into it, though, which surprised me.

Advice? Listen to the wife, set priorities, and never go to bed angry.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Marriage

Marrage is like a booox of choclalates...lol.My wife really enjoys our quiet time(ride my scooter). Tires are never an issue.Anything else about saftey while riding is either.In the emortal words of Bill Cosby tell her to have a coke and a smile and shut the f-up.(no not really just playing around) You'll get it worked out we're sure.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Maybe New Tires are cheaper than mortgage life insurance? She rides too so tell her you only bought them so you can spend quality time together. and your going to do a moving sale to make up the money. When all thats fails tell her she's right your sorry and promise never ever to do it again. Usually when you tellem their right they get a lot quieter. And then agree that neither one of you will spend more than say a hundred bucks without talking to the other.
              Russ Neal
              Milton, NH
              04 GL1800 ABS
              04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
              99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
              80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
              83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
              80 XS1100G(Sold)
              81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Like Bob Haller says, it would be better to be alive and beg forgiveness later than, well...
                Marty in NW PA
                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

And in the poll you need an all of the above
                  Russ Neal
                  Milton, NH
                  04 GL1800 ABS
                  04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                  99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                  80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                  83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                  80 XS1100G(Sold)
                  81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

In my experience, marriage is a lot more dangerous than cracked tires.

Best of luck making up, and don't ride until you change the tire.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                      In my experience, marriage is a lot more dangerous than cracked tires.

Best of luck making up, and don't ride until you change the tire.

Randy
                      A bad marriage can make you miserable for a lifetime but bad tires can kill you. I think it's a toss up. ;o)

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Told Kim about the thread-she got on and read all the responses. She really wasn't mad about the tires, it's just not a great time to buy stuff when we're signing a purchase offer on the house tonight. Most of the replies are pretty funny. The tires showed up today. They look good. I'll give everyone a report when I've got some miles on them. Question: Are the valve stems on motorcycles the same as automotive stems?
                        2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                        1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

NO!

The stems are not the same!

Autos are fitted with stems that have an integral grommet. Motorcycle stems are threaded and are sealed to the rim with rubber sealing rings and locknuts.

Looks like you're going to have to go for another 10 Bucks.

Don't hit him too hard, Kim, he's already hurting.

Randy

Comment

Better keep those tire irons tucked away out of sight too, or were you al$o planning on $pending a few more buck$ to have the $hop mount and balance the new tire$?
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

Glad to hear things worked out regarding the tires. Now if you have to get rid of the Morgan Carbtune....let me know!
                              Robert
                              79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X