Pleated Paper Pod Filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CRXSi90,

I'd have to see what you dug out of the airbox to even begin to guess the kind of filter that was in there.

To help you put the carbs back on your bike, here's a five minute video that Planedick and I made in his garage the weekend we swapped out the stock '78 carbs from his '78E and put in a set of '80 carbs:-

XS1100 Carburetor Install

jjz28,

The best filter is the OEM filter but they're expensive and should not be cleaned and re-used.

I use the Uni Filter because I think it's easier to clean and oil the UNI's sheet of foam than it is to do the K&N's gauze but air filter discussions can take on almost religious overtones.

XS1100 OEM Filter - 2H7-14451-00-00
    XS1100 Uni Filter - NU-2244
    XS1100 K&N Filter - YA-1400

Buy one of each and try it to see which filter you like. Sell the filters you don't want here on this site or on eBay. Of course you'll have to ride a lot to fully appreciate the subtle differences and nuances of each filter but that's just something you'll have to put up with. You can do it!
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      You have only done it ONCE!!!!??!!??!?!
      Only once.........so far.......

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      ......Buy the Uni and a can of PJ1 spray filter oil using a lite spray coat to catch the dust.
      I got the Uni filter, and a bottle of UNI oil. I can see how the spray would be much less....messy.

The XS is bout the easiest airbox to remove on a multicarb bike. No worries......you'll be doin it several times. Also, guess you know ALL scoots have to be synced and tuned with airbox/cleaner in place.
      Glad to hear....guess I got lucky on having this as my first multi-carb bike! Yes, synching and tuning multiple carbs will be new to me.

So yup, your gonna get lots of practice.
      Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
      ........(cause you have to clean these at least 3 times to get clean.lol).....
      Yes, I have heard. I am trying to preempt it by cleaning them several times before I put them back in. I'm going to remove the idle mixture screws, and then clean them for the third time.

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      To help you put the carbs back on your bike, here's a five minute video that Planedick and I made in his garage the weekend we swapped out the stock '78 carbs from his '78E and put in a set of '80 carbs:-

XS1100 Carburetor Install

jjz28,

The best filter is the OEM filter but they're expensive and should not be cleaned and re-used.

I use the Uni Filter because I think it's easier to clean and oil the UNI's sheet of foam than it is to do the K&N's gauze but air filter discussions can take on almost religious overtones.

XS1100 OEM Filter - 2H7-14451-00-00
      XS1100 Uni Filter - NU-2244
      XS1100 K&N Filter - YA-1400

Buy one of each and try it to see which filter you like. Sell the filters you don't want here on this site or on eBay. Of course you'll have to ride a lot to fully appreciate the subtle differences and nuances of each filter but that's just something you'll have to put up with. You can do it!
      Thanks, I had a K&N in my car, and there were a few things that turned me off to them. I switched back to paper. I'm willing to give the foam UNI a try in the bike. I'll practice up on my carb/airbox installation and removal. I'm sure I'll be back with more issues once I get the carbs reinstalled!
      '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
      '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Working...
      X