Pleated Paper Pod Filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleated Paper Pod Filters?

Hey, I know this is a little crazy, but I was wondering if there is any such thing as a paper pod filter. I know you're asking "why would you want that?" Well these are a few things that I can think of...

o Ease of removing carbs with Pod Filters (vs. airbox)
    o Filtration qualities of pleated paper (possibly better filtration, depending on many variables)
    o Different maintenance (just replace, vs. clean, dry, lube)
    o Yes, possibly lower flow/performance depending on selection

If there's nothing off-the-shelf, it seems like there are a few "Lawn and Garden" products that might be adaptable. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just throwing a few ideas out there........Thoughts???

---------------------------------------------------------
    Use 4x small oval filters positioned like pod filters, and the long dimension of the oval oriented vertically. A bracket/flange would need to be fabricated to connect the filter to the carb with a boot, possibly made of gasoline-rated hose.

This one had me intrigued...two holes. Possibly oriented horizontally to service two carbs (depending on spacing).

And of course, a single oval filter oriented horizontally to service all 4 carbs.
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Its official.

He's certifiable!

Nurse!

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

LOL, thanks!

Comment

Might want to think of incorperating velocity stacks in whatever setup you choose, will help your performance. That is the reason the factory air box performs so well, velocity stacks.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

The problem with paper pods is water. Once the paper gets wet it swellls and wind pass air well, if at all. You get caught in a surprise rain show and all of a sudden your bike can't breath, you collaps a pod and the paper gets sucked into the engine.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            The problem with paper pods is water.
            Good point. Add a shield/enclosure, and it's starting to look an awful lot like an air-box again........

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Might want to think of incorperating velocity stacks in whatever setup you choose, will help your performance. That is the reason the factory air box performs so well, velocity stacks.
              +1..........and an airbox SPECIFICLY designed for air flow that compliments the CORRECT operation of the carb vacuum diaphrams thru ALL rpm ranges........yeppers, stock is best. Ain't gonna argue with the Jap engineers design. Pods are for convenience(your gonna give up performance SOMEWHERE in the rpm range, that's a given) and they work for WOT down the quarter mile, which they were originally designed for in the performance world, period.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by CRXSi90 View Post
                Good point. Add a shield/enclosure, and it's starting to look an awful lot like an air-box again........
                Exactly! The airbox is actually pretty good and easy to work with once you figure it out.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  Exactly! The airbox is actually pretty good and easy to work with once you figure it out.
                  ........and bet you could almost remove it with your eyes closed now..
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well, I'll give the tried and true airbox another shot. I removed it (and the carbs) once so far, and it wasn't a pleasurable experience. I'm appreciating the engineering behind factory components more and more, and generally they do a pretty good job (across cars, motorcycles, etc...).

I have a UNI foam filter for it now, but I was wondering if there even is a pleated paper filter for the airbox available. The remnants of what I pulled out of the airbox looked like a foam filter - was that factory?

Comment

Well, I'll give the tried and true airbox another shot. I removed it (and the carbs) once so far, and it wasn't a pleasurable experience. I'm appreciating the engineering behind factory components more and more, and generally they do a pretty good job (across cars, motorcycles, etc...).
                      You have only done it ONCE!!!!??!!??!?! Good Lord! Complaining after only the first time!!! Watch one of the videos of how to do it. There are some videos somewhere of the method of how to do it.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have a UNI foam filter for it now, but I was wondering if there even is a pleated paper filter for the airbox available. The remnants of what I pulled out of the airbox looked like a foam filter - was that factory?
                        You can buy a Uni replacement at your local scoot shop that carries UniFilter(that's whats in mine). Originally they used a foam filter of sorts on some. My Venturer came new with a pretty, bright red pleated paper filter, and I think back then I replaced it once with the same from Yammy. The Uni foam which comes with ajoining metal mesh for fitment works fine. Some use the K&N, but there have been fitment issues with them, and there not all what there cracke dup to be anyways. By the Uni and a can of PJ1 spray filter oil using a lite spray coat to catch the dust.

Comment

The XS is bout the easiest airbox to remove on a multicarb bike. Think thats hard, try an XJ(have never done one), a bit more involved. Thinks those are a bit time consuming, ougtha try servicing an filter on a Honda ST(top-side with four downdraft Kiehns), start with the suitcases. Those here that own one can verify that. Wanna have some real fun......access a filter box on a V65 Sabre or Magna....start with removing the seat and tank as it is located up under tank near front by the fork tree.. Makes you appreciate the XS11 airbox. Most here experienced enough that we can pull the airbox off AND carb bank in 12min. or less. Never have seen the video......just lots of experience. No worries......you'll be doin it several times. Also, guess you know ALL scoots have to be synced and tuned with airbox/cleaner in place. So yup, your gonna get lots of practice.

Comment

I too was wanting pods in the beginning but now after several times on and off (cause you have to clean these at least 3 times to get clean.lol) I have learned its not that bad. Youll get used to it. I definitely need a new filter though. Anyone have a part number for the "best" filter for the stock box?
                            Jeff
                            77 XS750 2D completely stock
                            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Some use the K&N, but there have been fitment issues with them
                              Only fitment issues that I have ever heard of is old used filters that have been out of the airbox for a extended period of time and the rubber starts to shrink some. K&N very quickly replaces then under their million mile warranty though. I would absolutely endorse K&N!!!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X