Wheelie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelie

What do you do when the front wheel points at the stars ?

Here is what happened to me,,,,

Finished my ride 40 mi. out to try the good gas again same thing 29 out with the gas from 20 mi. out and 39 on the way back with gas from 40 mi. out.

Then I thought I'll just go down behind the industrial park for a little 1/3 mile easy run up.

There is some guy with his lites on in my lane ?
    I Slow and go to the far right, he has a girl at his rt. side door ( she looked pretty good ). Looks like he is getting ready to run his 80 something Mustang, huge tires and spun aluminum rims, sure nough. She steps out with a red scarf and I pull up even with his front end.

She drops the scarf and I hit it, early lead my rear tire spinning just as I'm going for second the tire hooks up and the front end points at the stars, I've shifted into second just from the motion I think. I hit the foot brake without releasing the throttle the front end came down smooth as can be. I kept it up to 4th. then let off in 5th. there is a sharp right at the end and then stop sign. Cars are passing I can't pull out, 5 sec. later the Mustang shows up behind me. Cars go by and I leave he follows then turns off the next block. I go home. What a thrill !!!!!
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Wheelie

Well done.
    Touch the back break and keep the gas on and it worked.
    Lean a bunch forward, forget the brake and keep the gas on.
    Not so easy to do with the high bars.
    My Yami has not lifted the front wheel yet, maybe I am being to kind to it.
    I am usually a bit gentle in first and second, and put more power on in the higher gears.
    I will save my best wheelie story because it is your moment.
    Unkle Crusty

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty Snippets View Post
      Well done.
      Touch the back break and keep the gas on and it worked.
      Lean a bunch forward, forget the brake and keep the gas on.
      Not so easy to do with the high bars.
      My Yami has not lifted the front wheel yet, maybe I am being to kind to it.
      I am usually a bit gentle in first and second, and put more power on in the higher gears.
      I will save my best wheelie story because it is your moment.

Unkle Crusty
      OH come on let's hear it !!!!

Changed the bars to LTDs but still pulled them down so my mirrors were looking at the ground. Tightened the bars as much as I could, after.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
        What do you do when the front wheel points at the stars ?

Here is what happened to me,,,,

Finished my ride 40 mi. out to try the good gas again same thing 29 out with the gas from 20 mi. out and 39 on the way back with gas from 40 mi. out.

Then I thought I'll just go down behind the industrial park for a little 1/3 mile easy run up.

There is some guy with his lites on in my lane ?
        I Slow and go to the far right, he has a girl at his rt. side door ( she looked pretty good ). Looks like he is getting ready to run his 80 something Mustang, huge tires and spun aluminum rims, sure nough. She steps out with a red scarf and I pull up even with his front end.

She drops the scarf and I hit it, early lead my rear tire spinning just as I'm going for second the tire hooks up and the front end points at the stars, I've shifted into second just from the motion I think. I hit the foot brake without releasing the throttle the front end came down smooth as can be. I kept it up to 4th. then let off in 5th. there is a sharp right at the end and then stop sign. Cars are passing I can't pull out, 5 sec. later the Mustang shows up behind me. Cars go by and I leave he follows then turns off the next block. I go home. What a thrill !!!!!
        That's Sweet. Bet he was suprised.

Comment

I have one for ya... I was working the evening shift and got out at midnight, the night was warm and figured I'd zip through town and see how many college partiers were out on the streets bar hoppin. Happened to turn my head and see a group of ladies who are laughing hysterically and appear to be watching me pass by. I wasnt quite sure if I was the but of their joke or not...could have been the little red cooler on my back seat interrupting the sexy lines of the bike, idk... in an attempt to regain some dignity I down shifted from second into first and immediately proceeded to clutchup a healthy wheelie and ride through the upcoming intersection, shifted to second and set it down at the following intersection. At that point I took my next right to get off the main street, joged a few back streets to the gas station and parked for a few minutes to let the adrenaline wear off and to listen for sirens. Likely not the best time or place for that but I couldnt help it, man what a rush!
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Let's hear more

I want to hear more, I want to take on my buds V-rod. I've ridden the V-rod before the mods he did and I know he will walk me in the industrial park dragstrip just want to know by how much ? ? ? Or should I just forget it ?

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
            I have one for ya... I was working the evening shift and got out at midnight, the night was warm and figured I'd zip through town and see how many college partiers were out on the streets bar hoppin. Happened to turn my head and see a group of ladies who are laughing hysterically and appear to be watching me pass by. I wasnt quite sure if I was the but of their joke or not...could have been the little red cooler on my back seat interrupting the sexy lines of the bike, idk... in an attempt to regain some dignity I down shifted from second into first and immediately proceeded to clutchup a healthy wheelie and ride through the upcoming intersection, shifted to second and set it down at the following intersection. At that point I took my next right to get off the main street, joged a few back streets to the gas station and parked for a few minutes to let the adrenaline wear off and to listen for sirens. Likely not the best time or place for that but I couldnt help it, man what a rush!
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
              I want to hear more, I want to take on my buds V-rod. I've ridden the V-rod before the mods he did and I know he will walk me in the industrial park dragstrip just want to know by how much ? ? ? Or should I just forget it ?
              Forget it..........they are sub- twelve sec. out of the box.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Sub 12 second..??

http://www.ehow.com/list_7452165_spe...ha-xs1100.html

I guess these are sub 12 second too.

Anybody know what the RWHP and Torq would be on a 81 Venturer?
                81 H Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzaboy View Post

The fall of 77' with PeeWee Gleason(rode all manufacturers bikes for braggin' rights..110lbs. soakin' wet and was a professional quarter miler on bikes) did the 11.79sec. on the then new XS11 prior to production release. With a bunch of little Jap engineers all around dialing that bike in its every move, tire pressures, suspension settings, carb dial-ins, etc. With that said, 'joe' public, no matter how experienced from a launch to that 60ft. mark(which makes or breaks a good quarter mile run) can not make that happen. Have heard a couple folks here claim super low 12's, but I and several other old and treacherous competative drag racers know better. As far as RWHP and torque of an 81, whether it be a Special or Venturer is gonna be below the 78's power, still quick enough to get a performance award. Years back I run my Venturer fully dressed at the local strip here, which is at 5,000ft. elevation. Didn't 'cowboy' it hard off the line, and the clutch would 'turn loose' a bit in third. but still respectable high 13's and low 14's. That was with .435 reaction times, and ALOT of cage experience off the lights, and LOTS of gate drop experience on moto-x bikes. That was a first for me at the strip on a street bike. That 'barn door' on the front sure came into effect part way into third gear.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

There have been other posts on here regarding wheelies, and I think I agreed with someone when they said it was a 30+ year old bike, that is also heavy. I'd hate to see that think come down with all it's weight and do any damage to the frame or anything else.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzaboy View Post

BTW, the Venturer weighs in a 680lbs. with half a tank of fuel.....yes, I've weighed it. Heavy scoot to overcome inertia. Another thing......any mid 13's is still some 15-18 lengths from any high 11sec. run that was originally done. My times only produced 97-102mph speeds and fourth gear last 300 or less feet from finish, which doesn't give time enough for R's to come back strong with the 'whole barn' on the front and tallest shield available(25").

Comment

Probably still faster than alot of "rubs" out there. I'm not a Harley Hater, Hell, I love my 00 883 hugger....with 83 Rwhp But I cant see spending 20,000 on a bike, Well maybe if every other debt I had was paid off, and I could swing Cash for it....Sorry off subject. I agree with you on the testing. Speed is Power to weight. I saw a video on Youtube, some dude had a XS putting out a 107 hp on dyno....might be fun to pick up another engine....do some massage work, and see what could happen?
                        81 H Venturer

Comment

On my trip back east a couple years ago, I was loaded down pretty good including an ice chest on the back. I had assorted stuff in the cooler including a half gallon of milk. We'd ridden all day and the contents in the ice chest were sitting in an ice slosh. The three of us pulled up to a stop light next to a guy riding a 'Busa with a gal on the back. I pulled up next to him, and jokingly revved the motor, laughing, KNOWING there was NO WAY I could even come close to that bike. I just wanted to see him launch the thing. The light turned green.. and then he started easing away from the light. I thought, "I've got one more chance to see him go..." and I dumped the clutch and launched. The front wheel came up high, but not enough to have to let off the throttle. I smacked 2nd and the wheelie came down about halfway through 2nd and I let off the throttle. I was proud of the old girl.. making a showing for me even at it's age. I was thinking how cool it must have looked from behind.. chest puffing with pride.

Ivan told me later, laughing, that when I launched, he saw the girl on the back of the 'Busa dig her fingernails into the guy's ribs as a warning not to race... then told me that apparently the milk had leaked into the cooler, because as I was in a wheelie, a nasty, milky, froth of water was pouring out of it, looking really rediculous.. lol.

Pride cometh before the fall.
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod that is the funniest thing I have heard all day...

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Wheelie

[QUOTE=donebysunday;414417]OH come on let's hear it !!!!

Was at the Isle of Man in 1971. Night time and a cop was directing traffic with a lit torch ( flash light ) A kid popped a wheelie and knocked the torch out of the cops hands with the front wheel.

I did hundreds of endos when riding cross country races thru the mountains of BC.

At the local track ( Westwood near Vancouver BC ) the big race of the year is when the visiting hot shoes including the number one plate show up.
                              After the start everyone waits anxiously to see who will be first around.
                              At the start I ( national number 14 ) lined up with the hot shoes. The bikes are not geared for wheelies, rather top speed down the back straight.
                              But the stars and moon must have been aligned as I got a hole shot with the front wheel off the ground in first to about 50mph, then it barely lowered as I hit second to about 85mph.
                              First around to everyones surprise was number 14, and again for the first several laps.
                              Then the number one plate passed me on the inside of the off camber turn three sweeper. I thought that's impossible, and that must be why he has the number one plate. Think his name was Paul Allen. He later worked for Dunlop Tyres. Not sure if I was running gumballs in those days.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Working...
                              X