No announcement yet.

Nt 700?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the Honda 700 for a test ride, last fall when it first showed up at a local dealer.

My impression was a great "2nd" bike, for local running around, lots of easy storage space, plenty of power for the interstate if needed.

I felt fine with the bike's low rpm character and liked burping along through the gears. I'm a torque guy, and despite being a small 700 (670cc I believe) it has the low end and pull that I like.

What I really like is the gas mileage this thing has proven to get. 60+ mpg is nothing to sneeze at, my Honda Express Moped would get 100 mpg on 50cc, and that was something to brag about back in the day.

My current bikes are a Kawasaki ZRX 1200 that puts the T in TORQUE with a sweet top end as well, and two XS 1100's (80G and 80SG). I get 46 mpg in commuting on the ZRX and 37 mpg with the 80SG.

I have also owned an ST 1300 and a V Strom 1000, and ridden an SV650 (same basic engine as the Wee Strom). V Strom 1000 is a stomper down low that averaged 44 mpg, the ST 1300 has the sweetest V-configured engine around and averaged 45 mpg. Considering my 1993 Mazda Protege with 246,000 miles can pull 37 mpg, I ain't impressed, per se, with the economy motorcycles deliver. I know, "I don't ride for the economy" is what someone will say, so good on you for it.

I could easily live with the 700 as it sits well with my liking of lower rpm, ride the torque, AND it turns some incredible gas numbers which cannot be emphasized enough as a legitimate consideration in this day and age. With all respect to our "forefathers" and all bikes that have gone before, Motorcycles are no where near where they could be in terms of fuel economy. I think we will see a shift in the future, and Honda is leading the way with the 700, and the new CB1100 that is reported to turn 60+ mpg as well.

There will always be the sport bikes, however bikes used as daily riders are going to be changing and evolving. Honda is doing that, and proving it will work. These bikes will still leave any 4 wheeled vehicle far behind, but do it much more economically, kind of like a "thinking man's" bike.
    Last edited by Bonz; 02-13-2013, 06:41 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Thanks for the input Wayne,not the kind of bike i'm looking for,looking for an all purpose bike,sit upright,good mpg's,lightweight.BMW-GS650,Kawi,V Strom 650..etc....I had a 1500 Vulcan,which I loved,but very heavy,the Yammie you showed me weighs 200 lbs. more than the Wee.
      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
      1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Thanks
        mad Max-IM,Hey hbonser,what model of the 700 did you test? Was it the Adventure? The reviews aren't very good on that one,compared to the Kawi and Suzuki.But to be fair,they tested the automatic.only 47 hp,and manual is 51 hp I believe. I gotta wait till the roads clear up to get some test rides in. I may just keep riding my SG for this year,nothing written in stone about getting a new ride.
        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
        X