Nt 700?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nt 700?

Seriously debateing on getting a Honda NT 700,nice little touring bike,very good reviews. Although they don't have the power of the XS,everywhere I've looked says they have plenty of torque,even two up.Only complaint i've seen is a slight buzzing at over 65,but I can't see it being any worse than my special.Only other thing that bothers me is the height of the bike.Think I'll take a test drive in the spring.Anybody ever rode one,or had any experience with one?
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Also considering a V Strom,I wish Yamaha had a mid weight tourer.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

ST/Wing/Tenere rider comments

NC700X Test Ride
      I went into the test ride thinking 'this will be my next bike'... I put the Super Tenere up for sale and it's VERY apparent the popularity of the bike as after about 2 days, the PMs, emails, calls started coming in and
      it sold 4 days later.

Honda did an incredible job with the styling of this bike. When I saw it I said to myself 'this will be my next bike'. The digital display is such that it should be easy to read in all light conditions and everything seems
      obvious and easy to get to. Nothing on the bike seemed 'cheap' at all and given it's price point that's surprising.

The fit and finish were quite nice and I didn't see anything on the bike that I thought was an immediate 'wrong'.. it all looked great and seemed to work well together.

I read a lot about this bike before going into the test ride. Many of the comments focused around the lower rpm range and that you'd hit the rev limiter at 6,500. Yup, 1st thing I did was that so you have to
      shift quickly. But, once in 2nd or 3rd gear it has good torque and you can keep it there for a while.

It's really not easy to do a test ride in this area. You don't have any twisties to give it any type of 'real' evaluation. So please take my comments with a grain of salt.

The more I bounced the Gas-Tank/Trunk in my mind the more it made good sense to me to have flat repair stuff/tools/heated gear/rain gear in that area and not need luggage for most shorter rides. If you wanted to tour/camp you would probably add luggage which may be enough to not need a bag on the seat so that was starting to make sense too...

Then came the ride...

Well, I'm sorry to say I wasn't crazy about the bike once I got it on the road. I was okay with the short-shifting you had to do but it just said to me 'scooter'. I know the frame and engine are from the Honda
      Integra Scooter but I didn't really have that on my mind until I got on it and started riding... it just didn't speak to me. This is coming from a short maybe 8 mile ride.

There is no real mass in front of the handlebars or any real dash to speak of so you get the feeling you're on a naked bike and that's a bit strange coming from the larger bikes w/bigger dash areas - not a deal
      killer but just something that jumps out at you quickly. If you're used to riding bikes with not much of a dash then it probably won't matter.

I don't know why but Honda switched the horn and turn signal switches on the left control.. .I must have hit the horn 10+ times as both the ST1300 and Super Tenere have them in the same spot. Makes no sense
      to me and I just don't get it. I suppose the commuter purpose of the bike warranted it to be closer for traffic conditions but I didn't care much for that.

There is no real wind protection at all but that's obvious looking at the bike. I didn't get any kind of buffeting at all but that's primarily because the shield doesn't do much.

FOR ME, this bike just wasn't going to work. I think if you are a student or someone that does a lot of city driving or touring isn't part of your used for this bike it would be fine.

This isn't a very fair review of the bike, I looked at it briefly and took it for a short ride so I would say take these comments and consider them but give the bike a try if you are interested and form your own
      opinion based on what YOU want out of this type of bike.

Some out of state quotes I got on this bike for the DCT version were already 1k off the MSRP so I'm sure the bike has been as popular as it appears.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks for your honest opinion,I'm just thinking it over right now,couldn't test drive now,even if I wanted,to much snow. Like you said,good looking bike,but looks are decieving.I'm also going to look into the V-Strom.time will tell.Important things to me are,1)reliability,2)light weight,3)price,4)MPG'S,5)avalibility of after market parts(Bags,trunk,etc.....) It's tough,every forum thinks there bike is the best,but we all know the XS is.. I'm just looking for another bike that has parts readily available,with reliability,with some weather protection,only need enough power for 2 up,with good mpg. I'm told the NT700 is nothing like the NX 700 as far as riding,I just don't know. NT 700 already has the full fairing and the hardbags.
        Last edited by Cuda 69; 02-09-2013, 10:01 PM.
        FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
        1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
          Thanks for your honest opinion,I'm just thinking it over right now,couldn't test drive now,even if I wanted,to much snow. Like you said,good looking bike,but looks are decieving.I'm also going to look into the V-Strom.time will tell.Important things to me are,1)reliability,2)light weight,3)price,4)MPG'S,5)avalibility of after market parts(Bags,trunk,etc.....) It's tough,every forum thinks there bike is the best,but we all know the XS is.. I'm just looking for another bike that has parts readily available,with reliability,with some weather protection,only need enough power for 2 up,with good mpg. I'm told the NT700 is nothing like the NX 700 as far as riding,I just don't know. NT 700 already has the full fairing and the hardbags.
          Welcome, but that actually came from the adminiSTator on the ST site. Others there also have owned or still own both the V-Stom and the 'Wee' Strom. The majority seem to like the 'Wee' better. I would imagine some of that could be attributed to its easier handleing off-road, since all of these folks do majority of LD rides on their ST, Wing or Beemer. Lots of options out there, but I can say from personnel experience that if your lookin at givin' up a few hundred pounds in bike weight, your givin' up the option of 'roominess'/comfort and ride for any distance ridin' two-up. Might even give the ST11's or 13's a 'look-see'. The older ST11's have a bit more room for any two-up LD riding, and the 96 or later have the 40amp. brush alt. so adding 'farkles' or amount not an issue. The ST's are an easy 300K bike if taken care of and serviced correctly, and my ST11 gives me 48-52mpg consistantly on the 'slab' with an easy 300 mile range with the 7.4gal. tank which is under seat. Anymore, I don't even bother to look at oil site window, as it never uses any, stays clear in the glass with 6,000mi. change intervals.
          Last edited by motoman; 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

IMHO the Wee Strom has more power and a better ride...it can do off roads but not real dirt bike enduro riding...The aftermarket for the Suzuki is very strong and plentiful...unlike the Hondas which have not been around nearly as long. The saving grace of the honda is its fuel mileage...but its limited ergos make it an excellent commuter but not so good as a tourer...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I went to the WEE/GLEE forum and was pretty impressed by what I read.There following was as large as our's if not larger.Heard nothing negitive,and some have done cross country tours on them. I also went to a Wee-Versus comparison site (I think it was cycle world),they said the two were very compareable,not much difference,but they liked the Wee alittle bit better,more room,and handled just a bit better. The wee forum says they handle very well on Jeep roads(fire roads) and mud,not very well in pee stone and gravel,which really doesn't bother me.would be mainly a commuter bike,with some long rides and some qiuck off the beaten trail rides. I know one thing is for sure,it would have to be lowered,which a few on Wee forum have done,they say it is fairly easy,with standard parts available from Suzuki. I'm told base price is about $8400. Maybe I should look at a used one,just in case it isn't for me. On the review of the NT 700,It was said if your looking for a cross country bike,look at the ST instead. I am not looking to go cross country,and I am looking to keep the weight down to a minimum.
              FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
              1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

I went to the WEE/GLEE forum and was pretty impressed by what I read.There following was as large as our's if not larger.Heard nothing negitive,and some have done cross country tours on them. I also went to a Wee-Versus comparison site (I think it was cycle world),they said the two were very compareable,not much difference,but they liked the Wee alittle bit better,more room,and handled just a bit better. The wee forum says they handle very well on Jeep roads(fire roads) and mud,not very well in pee stone and gravel,which really doesn't bother me.would be mainly a commuter bike,with some long rides and some qiuck off the beaten trail rides. I know one thing is for sure,it would have to be lowered,which a few on Wee forum have done,they say it is fairly easy,with standard parts available from Suzuki. I'm told base price is about $8400. Maybe I should look at a used one,just in case it isn't for me. On the review of the NT 700,It was said if your looking for a cross country bike,look at the ST instead. I am not looking to go cross country,and I am looking to keep the weight down to a minimum.
                I've not owned a wee strom but I was able to demo ride one for about an hour...it was a 2005 model...it was alot of fun coming from my ST1100...for a 650 cc bike it had mmore than enough power to get out of its own way...and then some...I found its light weight(compared to my 700 lb ST) flickable and quite nice to handle 2 lane backroads. I was also able to ride some dirt roads and the wee never missed a beat in transitioning from asphalt to graded dirt...even did some dirt burnouts...fuel injection is smooth and the throttle inputs take very little to adjusting to it...bike was just as capable in city traffic as it was out on the open road...only thing abt touring with it is that the suspension needs to be stiffer up front for a hwy ride but as it sits it is an excellent commuter as well. Also...no reason to buy new as there are plenty of fine used bikes out there..will save you a some coin no doubt...there is a large contingent of Strom-ers on ADVrider.com forum...there are a few forsale in the flea market as we speak...
                Last edited by madmax-im; 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Thanks for the update on your ride. Not looking for a dirtbike,just a great all around bike,and by everything I've read,the Wee fills that void. I would have to have it lowered for my 30" inseam,but from what i'm told,it's very easy,due to linked suspension.
                  FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                  1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                  1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Thanks for the update on your ride. Not looking for a dirtbike,just a great all around bike,and by everything I've read,the Wee fills that void. I would have to have it lowered for my 30" inseam,but from what i'm told,it's very easy,due to linked suspension.
                    I have the same inseam and I dont recall any issues with reaching the ground on my demo ride...never mind waht you've been told go test ride one then you will have a better idea what the Wee might need changed if anything...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Went and sat on it today,could touch with both feet,but barely.Sales guy said could lower it one inch and would be perfect.(I hate salesmen),I tend to screw with them. Waiting on a couple quotes on 2011 leftovers. They told me no test rides until March.I'm not buying anything till I test ride. 0% interest,that's a plus. 2011's list for 8,099. we'll see what they come back with.
                      FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                      1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Went and sat on it today,could touch with both feet,but barely.Sales guy said could lower it one inch and would be perfect.(I hate salesmen),I tend to screw with them. Waiting on a couple quotes on 2011 leftovers. They told me no test rides until March.I'm not buying anything till I test ride. 0% interest,that's a plus. 2011's list for 8,099. we'll see what they come back with.
                        my... thats alot of $$$
                        heres a fine example already farkled...
                        http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862646
                        Last edited by madmax-im; 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

that's what I thought . I may just wait and see about buying an older one. Although they said the 2012 had some upgrades. Thinking I could spend the $ on upgrades myself.
                          FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                          1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Also considering a V Strom,I wish Yamaha had a mid weight tourer.
                            You know what is a nice bike that Yamaha makes is the 950 V-star. I know a couple people who have one and they really like it. You can buy it with a touring package that comes with bags and a windshield. It's a twin but has plenty of torque and a nice riding position and lower seat height. Might want to consider taking a look if that's what you want.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...17/0/home.aspx

Wayne
                            80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                            Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

the upgrades to the 2012 Wee Strom were mostly cosmetic...an update on styling...they made the engine a bit more fuel efficient and lowered the fuel tank capacity by 1 gallon....thus pretty much the same range per tank...to me it isnt enough to want the difference especially when you consider a late model with farkles...whatever you do goos luck and have some fun along the way...
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X