• tool?

What is this?

'80 XS1100 SG
    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
    What is this?

About 10" long and looks painful.

Judging by it's apparrent age and the fact that it appears to be designed to pull someting up where it can be attached, I would guess some kind of harness tool.
    Last edited by BA80; 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I feel like I'm watching This Old House. I have never seen a contraption like that. Where did you find it?
      1979 XS1100 SF
      1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
      1981 KZ650CSR
      2006 VTX 1300C
      1986 Radian 600

Comment

To me it looks like it has spring tension. Chisel or punch holder??

Comment

A panhandle or stove tool?
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I have no heck of an idea what it is,it is on another motorcycle site and they are stumped also.I did forget that the guy had another picture..
            '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Good thinking DAV...I could see it would for a pot handle..grab the loop handle and pull the pot off the fire
              '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

You know now that you mention it I'm pretty sure I know what it is.

It's for handling some part of an old wood burning stove. The lids or opening the door to add wood.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

When we lived in Newburgh, NY in 1969 the kitchen stove was ANCIENT, it had been converted from woodburning to natural gas. It had the round plates covering the burners, which you had to remove so you could light the stove. Man, it was like time travel. Anyway we had something like that thing to remove the plates and open the oven door and flue.
                  Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I think it is a tool. I am researching this thing. It has me puzzled as well. It would not fit in the old stove rounds, or a pan.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                    A quick death and an easy one.
                    A pretty girl and an honest one.
                    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

With the better picture, BA80 first guess seems more plausible.

Comment

1 more guess for me, as you say your dad did his own engine work.

valve compresser? Spring part fits on cam (some sort of way) and notch contacts the valve stem. Pull up and you can remove the keepers.

Comment

old coal stove shaker handle to shake ash from stove?
                          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

I'm still asking around, but how about a brake spring compression tool?
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Here's my final answer:

It’s an old pin spanner wrench that was custom made for a specific purpose. The clip would allow it to be held in place while making fine adjustments to something while a jam nut would be used to lock the assembly in place when everything is just right and then the spanner would be removed and put away until the next time it is needed.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X