Scotch whiskey Experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotch whiskey Experts?

ok,so have a 21 year old bottle of Whyte &Mackay blended scotch whiskey that I got probably 10 years ago.It has a metal emblem on the front with a metal chain going around the neck of the bottle,I saw itonline being sold from an English site (I think) for 199.99 L. I have no idea how much this is.Can I get any help.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Lesson 1: If it's spelled whiskey, it isn't scotch. For scotch, it's whisky.

Their 22 year old is listed at about $80 US. I don't know what currency you're viewing. You might find someone who will pay you $50 for what you have, but first we need a little more info to figure out what it is. We need more info from the label.

Personally, I would not be willing to pay that much for a blended whisky. Keep in mind that the longer the whisky stays in the barrel, the more it will taste like a stick! Longer is not necessarily better.

You should try to find out if that bottle is rare and has collector value. If not, pour some in a glass with a splash of distilled water and tell us how it is.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

This review of their Special blend is a good read.
      http://jason-scotchreviews.blogspot....ed-scotch.html

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...ar-old-whisky/

At 46 Pounds a bottle hardly a collector item.

Ginger wine and Diet Coke seem to be the favourite mixers........which leads to the conclusion this is not from a family of great whisky.

Phil
      Last edited by MaximPhil; 12-23-2012, 04:18 PM.
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

if i may be so bold with apologies to the jet man ,,,BUT i much prefer a nicely decanted and chilled bottle of Night Train or Thunderbird and in a pinch Old Sailor will do ,,,ride safe slow mo!!
        The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
        moemcnally@hotmail.com
        i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

It's an older bottle,probably from the 80's.They don't make this bottle anymore.Gonna try and get a pic.Can't remember how to get it on to photobucket frommy phone anymore.How much is 199.00 Leer(L)?
          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Well then, according to Jason, there is nothing good about it. That being the case, drink it or give it away.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I don't drink scotch,rather have Cognac or I really like Grand Marnier on a cold winters nite. After long thought,I've had this bottle at least 20 years and I got it off a gentleman who received it as a retirement present,and he was in his 80's.Makes me wonder.
              FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
              1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

They must be doing something right Phil,been in buisness since the 1800's and said they were making record profit's.lol. I'll just stick it back in the closet.
                FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                  It's an older bottle,probably from the 80's.They don't make this bottle anymore.Gonna try and get a pic.Can't remember how to get it on to photobucket frommy phone anymore.How much is 199.00 Leer(L)?
                  199 L today is Turkish lira or about $110. In Italian lira it would have been about 20 cents.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

ok,thanks Marty,I saw this bottle for sale used on a site,said 199.99 with a L that looked like writing,I thought it was french,who knew? not me.
                    FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                    1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

£199 is GB pounds. That's about $322.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

And anybody can start the auction at the price they want, and if a fool and his money show up, all the better.
                        For the seller. CZ

Comment

there 30 yr old scotch sells for about $2500 a bottle.
                          .They have a 67 yr old bottle that sold for over $100,000.00 but they said there were only 3 bottle's in exsistence.Wonder if I could pull that one off? That bottle I saw was for sale,not an auction.
                          FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                          1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Whyte & MacKay -30 Year Old

PRICE:
                            $ 272.63 -This one is Canadian dollars

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...ar-old-whisky/

$220.92 USD
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Hi 'Cuda,
                              the L is most likely the £ sign for Pound sterling, like Marty posts, £199 is about US$320.
                              But the thing about whisky is that it only ages in the cask. That sealed bottle of 5-year scotch your grandpa left you is no better now than it was then he bought it.
                              A scotch that's been in the cask for (say) 21 years before it's been bottled commands a premium price and it's value may increase with age-in-bottle but it won't improve in taste.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X