super vs regular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
    My cobalt ss and my z28 dont run nearly as good on regular. I always use 93 in them. Nothing can tell you better than how your car runs.
    Both of those engines are designed to run high octane fuel.

The only reason you should use high octane fuel is if the engine needs it, otherwise your paying more for fuel that has less energy per gallon. Doesn't make much sense to run the high octane fuel unless the engine your running it in is able to make some type of use of it. Most engines that are turbocharged, supercharged, or are high compression will specify high octane fuel. The reason is the same for all, high octane fuel is able to be compressed further before predetonation or pinging. There are lots of thermodynamics that goes into it all, but that's the easy answer.
    1979 XS1100

Comment

The way a very good scoot mechanic explained the regular/super differences to me ,was,use regular in air cooled scoots,because high test burns very hot and could do some major damage to your valves(burnt valves). He said using regular gas acually helps keep your air cooled engine cooler.He also explained that today's gasoline sucks. So take it for what it's worth.
      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
      1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Nope. More likely to burn an engine down on regular, since regular has a lower burn point. Octane is entirely related to burnability as was previously stated. Higher compression needs more burn resistan fuel to prevent pre-ignition. Period. The idea is to run the lowest octane you can and still prevent pre ignition, and thereby get the most power. For instance, I will sometimes run premium in my bikes (not 11's) during the best of summer, and use lower octane as it cools off, since the combustion chamber is running cooler. I can get away with low octane for a long time before ping is a problem. Likewise, I've run 85.5 octane pump gas in nitrous fueled snowmobiles, provided it was really cold and I was running over 8000 feet above sea level (less air at altitude = lower compressed gas in chamber and cooler compressed gas temp.

It's not really all that complex of a system, just knowing what you are actually doing.
        Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

so what your saying is: lower octane in cold weather,higher octane in summer? I got some bad advice from someone I know,thanks.
          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Octane makes a big difference in useable horsepower. But it also serves a valuable purpose for engine longevity. Run the lowest you can without preignition, and you'll be maximizing your fuel. To be honest, I don't think it makes a lot of difference on the 11 since compression is not crazy, especially on original 30 year old engines. But it may be a player. As a rule I'd avoid premium in it until the very hottest parts of the summer, especially if you are riding hard, or sitting in traffic a lot where cylinder temps will rise.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I often buy premium fuel because often that is the only grade available without ethanol. Ethanol is bad news and 93 Octane won't hurt a thing.

Mike, that 91 octane sticker refers to research oc.tane. Today we use R+M/2. 87 octane is fine
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

+1 on premium to avoid ethanol...the octane is minor compared to that!

Comment

I bought a '98 Cougar in May of '97. It was one of the first 2 that hit the lot across from my office. I bought the one with all the options and left them the crappy stripped down one to show.
                  Anyway, I remember there being a sticker inside the gas door or maybe it was right on the cap, that said to use 87 octane only. A few months later it is broken in properly and I decide to fill up on 93 premium.
                  The car ran like crap. One of the guys at the dealer said those cars keep a running memory on how they run most efficient. Changing up the gas threw everything off since the program assumes you are always running 87. He reset something and it ran fine the rest of the tank, he told me to stop back in when I ran that tank out and he reset it again. Never ran anything other than 87 in that car again.
                  Current Stable:
                  1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                  1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                  WTB:
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                  1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Working...
                  X