super vs regular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super vs regular

------------------- just watched a documentary on gas and gas company,s !! outcome was super or premium gas is no better than regular pump gas ,, they said all kinds of things to make you buy super but thy were disproved ,,just my 2 cents and as always ,,ride safe ,,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

I had to read this just to be certain you weren't speaking of women's feminine hygene products.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      I had to read this just to be certain you weren't speaking of women's feminine hygene products.
      thanks that was funny ,,,needed a laugh!! ride safe slow mo!
      The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
      moemcnally@hotmail.com
      i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Hey Mo,

Yeah, we've had this discussion before. With modern vehicles with computerized ignitions that can adapt the timing and such they can perform just as good with regular vs. premium.

However, I just had an experience with my CHAIN SAW where even using FRESH regular with the proper 40:1 premix, it would NOT run right even after a carb kit and new plug. Once I put in some fancy 92 octane NO ethanol type premixed fuel, it finally would run and idle and such!!!

So...it looks like folks will need to TEST their machines ie. lawnmowers and other small engines, and IF they don't behave like they used to, then they may want to try the high test stuff? JAT I don't know if my chainsaw being a 2 stroke made it more sensitive to the ethanol and lower octane vs. a 4 stroke engine like what is used in lawnmowers.

Most folks on here use regular in their bikes just fine. I use Premium because I installed a big bore kit which upped my compression a bit. It's not anywhere near a racing bike/car's level, but I didn't want to take a chance burning holes in my new pistons. But as stated most folks here are running fairly stock engines, and regular seems to work well in them.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm with TC on that.
          The test isn't valid unless it is done on all engine types.
          It's like saying all women get the job done just as well. But we all know you get better performance with some.
          Huge difference in the power of the one bike I have with the 1196 kit. It really loves the Turbo Blue but my wallet doesn't. I think it was around $6.50/gallon last time I bought it.
          Current Stable:
          1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
          1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
          1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
          1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
          WTB:
          1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
          1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

opinions vary just like gas

For small engines expecially with oil mix you may want to use a stabilizer because Methanol mixed with oil seems to create problems far worse than what it does just sitting in a tank.

The issue I have is I know that when gas sits the methanol separates so if you have a big tank and the gas sits then the separation ratio would increase. So if a tank at a station has a truck come in and dump fuel it stirs all that crap up. So if a tank is not maintained well (it cost them money to pump them out ) and a lot of separation has occured then you come along and get gas while the tank is getting filled you might get a 50/50 mix instead of your 10%. Its my opinion when and where you get gas is just as important as what you get.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Which Octane?

The emission label inside the left side cover of both of my scooters (SF and H) says to use leaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 91. This indicates to me that regular unleaded with 87 octane would appear inadequate. So I use premium.

I have run both but see no great difference in the "seat of the pants". I do suspect there is a difference, i.e. there may be some preignition going on that cannot be heard when using the 87.

MP
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Knock yourselves out with the over priced premium. My bike with the 79F engine loves regular and HATES premium.

Doing great after @45000 miles in the last 3 years.

Just sayin'
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                  The emission label inside the left side cover of both of my scooters (SF and H) says to use leaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 91. This indicates to me that regular unleaded with 87 octane would appear inadequate. So I use premium.

I have run both but see no great difference in the "seat of the pants". I do suspect there is a difference, i.e. there may be some preignition going on that cannot be heard when using the 87.

MP
                  Octane ratings were measured different back then.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Using higher octane when not needed is a great way to create carbon. Regular ignites easier than premium. And unless you have detonation problems, you are in no way helping your motor on higher octane.
                    80 SG XS1100
                    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                      Using higher octane when not needed is a great way to create carbon. Regular ignites easier than premium. And unless you have detonation problems, you are in no way helping your motor on higher octane.
                      +1........this has been discussed several yrs. ago along with the rating, which Nateoen touched on. Think these scoots would run on kerosene if that's what was available. Bottom line is with the hardened valve seats and cam timing, these motors were designed to run on the unleaded regular that became the norm by then.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If the gas/ethanol separates and the tanks draw from the bottom, wouldn't filling up right after the tanks are filled be the only time to get a true blend?

My dad always avoided gas stations that had just been filled under the theory that crap in the tanks gets stirred up and is more likely to make it into your gas tank. When I mentioned that I thought the tanks pulled from the bottom anyway, he told me stories of troubles he's had after filling up with the newly-inserted gas, and being a good kid, I dropped it. I don't gas up when the tanker is there, still, but who knows if it pulled out three minutes ago?
                        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

If anyone has this available nearby, try one of the leaded versions once.
                          I recommend the Turbo Blue Extreme, 114 true octane rating. Just don't run it all the time.
                          http://www.turboblue.com/typical.asp
                          Current Stable:
                          1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                          1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                          1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                          1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                          WTB:
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                          1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

If the gas pump you're using has only one hose/nozel then the first gallon or so you pump is the grade of gas that the previous customer selected.
                            I'm thinking that at least from the base of the pump, thru-out the length of the hose to the nozel will still contain the previous customer's selection.
                            I only use premium from pumps containing a separate hose for each grade if possible.
                            'Just my two cents worth.
                            Greg C.
                            '93 Kawasaki KLX 650-C
                            '86 Honda GL 1200 Aspencade
                            '79 Honda XL250-S

Comment

My cobalt ss and my z28 dont run nearly as good on regular. I always use 93 in them. Nothing can tell you better than how your car runs.
                              Jeff
                              77 XS750 2D completely stock
                              79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Working...
                              X