No announcement yet.

For All That Don't Have A Torque Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some time ago, I tested a couple of these cheap tq wrenches. (They calibrated tools were I worked) What I discovered with the tools I tested was that they were very precise exactly in the middle of their scale. They fell off at both ends. They under torqued at the high end and over torqued at the low end. The accuracy was exactly the advertised +/- 4%. The 4% was realized at the extreme ends of the scale and accuracy improved as I moved toward mid scale. I spent no more than $20 on the wrenches tested and they were probably closer to $10. Neither was purchased at Harbor Freight.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Some time ago, I tested a couple of these cheap tq wrenches. (They calibrated tools were I worked) What I discovered with the tools I tested was that they were very precise exactly in the middle of their scale. They fell off at both ends. They under torqued at the high end and over torqued at the low end. The accuracy was exactly the advertised +/- 4%. The 4% was realized at the extreme ends of the scale and accuracy improved as I moved toward mid scale. I spent no more than $20 on the wrenches tested and they were probably closer to $10. Neither was purchased at Harbor Freight.
      I would say that sounds adequate.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I use a beam style for my 3/8" drive, and a clicker for 1/2". 1/2" is for over 30 ft-lbs, beam for under.

As to accuracy, I would agree for auto or bike use +/-4% is fine. As for not using one. For your own bike, do whatever lets you sleep at night. IMO if your going to work on someone elses scoot, you should use the proper tools, especially if your charging for your services.

I doubt there is a single person out there who can use sense of feel and be within +/- 4%. Not that I would lose sleep over a little more slop than that. but its the 7.2 and 14 ft-lb ones that can easily turn into a stripped bolt in these aluminum parts. And I doubt anyone has a sense of feel that will get them within 15% on the high torques like clutch or axle nuts.

So I would agree to buy the best quality you can afford, and if that is the HF unit, then buy it, still much better than your arm.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Its all about how you care for them. Treat them like a pressure regulator. Take the tension off the springs when you store them. Keep them clean. Apply steady pressure when torquing. There are lots of things which can be done to prolong the life of your wrench.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Thanks, I got the 3/8" drive one while it was on sale. Now I have a 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2".
            '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
            '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Just so no one asks, the coupon was only good till September 30, 2012 so I deleted the pic so it is no longer available.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So... what happened to the pic?
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  So... what happened to the pic?
                  October oneth. CZ

Comment

Just Like Everything Else

I agree. Tools are in fact just like everything else - You get what you pay for.

MP
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                      I agree. Tools are in fact just like everything else - You get what you pay for.

MP
                      Disagree. Most of the time, people just get suckered into paying more for better advertising. Seems to me like many people try to convince themselves of this to feel better about paying more. In most cases, it's absolute fallacy. They do say a sucker is born every minute though...
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I make a living with my tools. I do not have a box full of Snap-on stuff. Over the years I have collected what suits be best. Yes, most of them are 1st quality tools.

At home I mostly tinker. I bought a good air compressor to last a lifetime. I bought a lot of cheap air tools. I have a lot of other inexpensive tools at home. If they break in short order, I replace them with something better. Most of these things are seldom used, and seem to last forever. As I stated, I tested some cheap torque wrenches and they are OK for my purpose. I take care of them. I think my calibrated elbow can tell if the tool is so out of whack the bolt is going to snap. (A cheap air ratchet will do that too)

I can't afford to have tools break on the job, and I need to get done quickly. Out there, my philosophy is 180 degrees from the previous paragraph.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          Disagree. Most of the time, people just get suckered into paying more for better advertising. Seems to me like many people try to convince themselves of this to feel better about paying more. In most cases, it's absolute fallacy. They do say a sucker is born every minute though...
                          I agree, just look at most Harley owners for an example.
                          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                          '82 XJ1100
                          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I usually buy qualty tools used - pawn shops are fun to pick through.

I have a fair amount of Harbor Freight tools for seldom used items since they do fine for occasional use.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Why Do You Need Good $ Tools?

Here is my 2 cents.

I have been using tools of every imaginable type and size for 40 years. The majority of the work that I do is on large off-road equipment. All of the work is on-site.

I have used the best wrenches, the best pneumatic tools, and the opposite of both. The cheap tools are not accurate, esp. the air tools and they do not last. They are a waste of money. You will buy 2 or 3 to one really good one.

Cheap tools will NOT get the job done in this venue. My work also includes engine rebuild - gasoline and diesel. No cheap tools here either.

Around the house and yard work - cheap tools maybe.

So, the need for tools is pretty much determined by what you are doing with them. To say that cheap tools are all you need is not really a true statement. And visa versa.

MP
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

This past summer I sold one of my gold teeth and bought a good CDI (Snap-on) dial torque wrench. Inch pound by the way.
                                Never having one before, I actually read the instructions.
                                The first thing in the instructions said:

Before using all models of dial torque wrenches, it is strongly suggested to cycle/operate them 3 times at full scale in the torque direction in which they will be used.

So now, never having owned a "new" torque wrench before, I have to ask if anyone has seen similar instructions for any other "dial" torque or "click" type wrench?
                                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                                X