E-e-e-haw! Got another XS11!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-e-e-haw! Got another XS11!

I can't believe it: while waiting for SWMBO to get ready for work I went on Craigslist looking for a 650 Maxim, and there was listed: "1980 1100 Yamaha, $650 OBO." Location? Watsonville: only 20 miles away!
    I just happened to have the cash stashed for bills and other expenses so I went down and looked at it. Not surprisingly, it wasn't in as good a shape as it looked in the photo; some rust and aluminum grunge, but still in much better shape than my old Skoot, (heh, heh, heh!) Only 19,000+ original miles, been "non-oped" and under a tarp for 10 years, but he swears that he has been cranking it up at least once a month. It is a black XS11 special, so I can keep my cool biker handle!
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Excellent news Ed! You deserved a break after the burn down. Post some pictures when you can.
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
    2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
    1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Comment

That is awesome, good timing huh. I guess you will have a ton of parts for it, just wipe the soot off them.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Congrats Ed. Hope it turns out to be a good one for you.
        81 H

Comment

XSellent Ed!!! You will have plenty of non-rusted parts to swap over. Heck, even if the engine is crap you can swap your newly rebuilt one in.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Yahhhhoooo for Ed

Sounds great Ed,,,,,,,,hope its as special over the years as your old scoot. So, time to plan a rally up your way,,,hopefully over thanksgiving or xmas break so us Southern boys can make it up.............time to ride,,,,Mike in Sun Diego
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

Luck

Seems like your on a lucky streak try to talk one of your bill collectors into taking the burned down bike for payment. Never know.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

congrats

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
                I can't believe it: while waiting for SWMBO to get ready for work I went on Craigslist looking for a 650 Maxim, and there was listed: "1980 1100 Yamaha, $650 OBO." Location? Watsonville: only 20 miles away!
                I just happened to have the cash stashed for bills and other expenses so I went down and looked at it. Not surprisingly, it wasn't in as good a shape as it looked in the photo; some rust and aluminum grunge, but still in much better shape than my old Skoot, (heh, heh, heh!) Only 19,000+ original miles, been "non-oped" and under a tarp for 10 years, but he swears that he has been cranking it up at least once a month. It is a black XS11 special, so I can keep my cool biker handle!
                Special Ed
                Congrats Ed.
                I am sure you will soon correct any neglected areas on that bike; especially the "low mileage" issue
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Way to go, Ed! And you'd still be Special even on a standard.
                  1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Good for you, Ed. Waiting for pics...

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
                      Good for you, Ed. Waiting for pics...
                      Like he said
                      91 kwaka kz1000p
                      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Hey, thanks for the moral suppport!

Not a lot to show as far as pics, but when I get her home I'll start another "project" thread. I'm tempted to go the deliberate "rat bike" route. Seems that there is a category of cars known as "rat rods" that are pretty cool . Insted of spending mega bucks (which I don't have,) on chrome and powder coat, I'm tempted to strip all the paint off, let her rust, and clear coat over the rust. Roo has a bobber that is a bit of a "rat" that is pretty cool. No offense Roo. SWMBO doesn't like the idea: no sence of humor!
                        Special Ed
                        Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                        I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Bomber paint would be cool . Have gypsy paint a sweet Pinup !
                          91 kwaka kz1000p
                          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I saw that one on CL too and wanted to forward it to you, but am digitally challenged. I figured if you were serious about getting another one, you would find it. I'm always looking for a good deal on the Bay Area CL, got a set of saddlebags for $10.
                            "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Hi Ed,
                              congrats on the find. Tell you about my buddy Doug; the bike he rides to bike rallies is usually a 1940 Norton 16H that's been refinished in it's WW2 army paint complete with the same regimental markings as his Dad's had when he was a dispatch rider.
                              Bike has all the WW2 gear on it from the headlight blackout mask to the trench shovel and a (non-operating) sten gun.
                              But recently I've seen him on a 1946 AJS 500cc single.
                              Didja just get the AJ?
                              No, it was my very first bike, I got it when I was a teenager but shortly afterwards it caught fire.
                              I've finally gotten around to replacing all the melted aluminum parts and made it run again.
                              No WW2 gear on this one though, it's wearing it's stock civilian paint.
                              What it does have clipped to the rear frame is a fully loaded fire extinguisher.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X