No announcement yet.

Almost there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinders 1/4 are off one coil, 2/3 the other. You may have fuel supply issues to the carbs on 3/4.

You can check the coils; unscrew the plug ends and check for 5K ohms resistance through the end caps. If over 6K ohms, replace the ends. You should have about 15K ohms through the secondary side of the coils with the ends removed, about 25K when installed.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

For fuel supply pull the petcock and check it?
      79 XS 1100 F I call her trouble but she's almost tamed

Comment

I would first check you do not have a kinked fuel line. That can cause some very eratic lean mixtures.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I didn't remove the caps but did read 33k through 1&4 and and 53k through 2&3. I didn't disconnect the primary side.

Comment

Originally posted by CoastRider View Post
            I didn't remove the caps but did read 33k through 1&4 and and 53k through 2&3. I didn't disconnect the primary side.
            Something is for sure wrong there! Should be 25k.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ok riddle me this batman. I replaced coils and caps. One coil has 24.7kohm the other 25.2. The orange/red white and grey/red white both read 2.1 ohms. Sometimes 2 and 3 fire other times 3 and 4 fire and sometimes 1 and 4 fire. Maybe ignition box? Kinda lost atm. Not frustrated yet but maybe in the near future :-). Running outa sunshine to ride.
              Thanks
              Jason

Comment

Ok riddle me this batman. I replaced coils and caps. Resistance looks good on primary and secondary for both. Now 2 and 3 fire, other times 3 and 4 fired and once 1 and 4 fired when I didn't have 2 & 3 connected. I pulled the coil for 1 and 4, double checked ohms and still no ignition from 1 & 4. Could I have fouled out the new plugs I put in? TCI ? Any great ideas?
                Thanks
                Jason

Comment

Originally posted by CoastRider View Post
                  Ok riddle me this batman. I replaced coils and caps. Resistance looks good on primary and secondary for both. Now 2 and 3 fire, other times 3 and 4 fired and once 1 and 4 fired when I didn't have 2 & 3 connected. I pulled the coil for 1 and 4, double checked ohms and still no ignition from 1 & 4. Could I have fouled out the new plugs I put in? TCI ? Any great ideas?
                  Thanks
                  Jason
                  Do you have a multi meter, and do you know how to use it? CZ

Comment

Yep, 2.1 ohms on primary and 25 Kohm on secondary on both coils. Where else should I check?

Comment

Disconnect the org and grey wires on both ends, coils and TCI.
                      Measure the resistence of each.
                      Measure the resistence of one end of each to a GOOD (bare metal) ground. Tell me what you find.

Comment

Coastrider,
                        CaptonZap is leading to pickup coil wires being bad. Do a search, and you will find all the info you need to find and repair the bad wire/s. The other thing is you may need a new set of plugs, as you may have fouled one or two of the plugs in the bike.
                        You are almost there, and if Special Ed and I can put it together, you can ride up for a rally mid September.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If those two wire show little or no resistance, (depending on the accuracy of your meter), and there is no short to ground, plug the TCI connecter back in, and measure the voltage at the red/wht wire at the terminal of both coils. You will have to hook the meter up with alligator clips, or a helping hand to hold them on the terminals, and then turn on the ignition switch.
                          You should have a voltage reading no less than half a volt under what the volt reading is at your battery terminals. And nothing less than 11 volts
                          Now, if you have an analog meter, you can really get down to brass tacks. Or, conversely, if you have one of those pointed probes with an incandescent bulb in the handle, and a wire with an alligator clip on it, you can check the TCI for operation.
                          Hook all the connecters back up, put the probe on the org or gray coil terminal, the alligator clip to a GOOD ground, turn on the ignition and push the starter button. You should see the pulsing of the light, or the needle, depending on what you are using.
                          Go to the other wire, gray or org, and do the same thing, you should get the same results. That would indicate that your TCI is probably working right. (It is just a rough test)
                          Try those things and we'll go from there. CZ

Comment

Sounds good on the rally in September DR. I did the tests you recommended CZ, and they looked good except that I had a .6V drop in voltage to the R/W. I can't find my good Fluke so I'm using a cheesy cheepo meter I picked up at Harbor Freight so the .6V might not be accurate. I used my old analog to check the TCI and I did get pulsing on the needle on both orange and gray, DR indicated that you are eluding to issues with the pickup coil wire so I'll check the boards out and see what I can come up with. Any little tricks would be greatly appreciated
                            Thanks
                            Jason

Comment

Not sure of what I did but now it's firing hot on 1 &2 and warm on 3 & 4. Pipes hot to the touch on 1 & 2 and warm on 3 & 4. I checked to see if wiggling the pickup coil wires did anything but no change. It appeared to be hitting correctly on all four for a few then went back to missing.

Comment

Went back and reread the carb sync post. I misread it and will resync them now. The right way

Comment

Working...
                                X