Helmet Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trbig View Post
    Like I said, the modular won't be as tough as the solid helmet like the HJC CL-16, but it's a HECK of a lot more functional realistically, and a much better option than any 3/4 or half helmet. Also, I suggest finding some place that has the type of helmet you're looking at and go try one on. I've had some really uncomfortable helmets over the years by buying blind. I mean.. every 2X helmet (Insert your size here..) fits every head, right? Everyones head is the same shape.. right? Hello? lol.
    I still trust the Snell standard. If you look at some of the junk that gets DOT certification......

I do believe that a modular can provide great protection, and are far better than a 1/2 or 3/4. I just don't have any issues with a full face.
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
    Airbox w/K&N element
    Jardine 4 into 1
    145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
    1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
    1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

I have just retired after 5 yrs my Shoei TZ-R FF helmet...very good quality moderately priced...but not bargain basement ...you do get what you pay for up to a point...as for style of helmet...I have a new FF Shoei Qwest which is very nice...vents ok not as well as the TZ-R though. I also have a 3 year old HJC Symax2 modular. I like it very much for warmer weather riding...its a nice pearl white as well. about the only complaint i have with it that I like to ride with the face shield part open and at hwy speeds headwind buffeting always shuts the shield...constant battle if i keep my head in the wind wher I want the air...but the fit is perfect and it also has a built in sun visor that can pop down or retract by a spring action button. Overall your head is worth alot so one should not compromise on quality or style of helmet...which in my case is a reccomendation you go with a FF design.
      I do haave some safety concerns when we compare a FF design to a Modular...over on another board I heard a story about a guy wearing aa Nolan N102/3 not sure which...but had a side impact right where the modular hinges are and because there is less space there between you and the helmet makes you more prone to a head injury along the temples of your head...Whereas compared to a normal FF design you dont have this space limitation so you have a more of a buffer in the same situation.
      back 5 yrs ago I had a Nolan N102 but it was too heavy and it the hinge mechanism failed after about 3.5 yrs meaning it would no longer line up when you tried to close it...
      Last edited by madmax-im; 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by sparks View Post
        I'm just concerned with riding this summer when the temps are over a hundred.. There just isnt enough beer to compensate for that..

Lee
        (Sparks)
        I'll have to disagree with that. Not the beer part, but the riding in higher temps. If you wear the right gear, the temps never get too high to ride comfortably. Yes, it can get a bit warm if you are stuck at a light, but as long as you keep moving, you'll be fine in a full-face helmet, a mesh jacket, vented gloves and jeans. The mesh jacket makes all the difference in the heat. It controls evaporation, so all your sweat doesn't just instantly dry up, and you can benefit from your body's natural cooling mechanism.

Oh, and NEVER ride with a modular helmet with the face shield flipped up! They are not designed to work that way. It's like wearing a jacket without zipping it up.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Hey, I am willing to part with the modular I had on when the car pulled out and totaled my bike, and would have totaled me if I'd had less than a full face on. It is in pretty good shape except for the marks on the right temple where it hit the car's bumper, and the chin and face shield where it skidded along the pavement.

I have a selection of cool helmets, including a Harleyesque donor's cap, which I love to wear unless there's a chance I could be in a wreck. So if you know the ride will be incident free, wear what you want...of course, I was commuting to work when I had my close encounter of the last kind.
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

test ride your helmet, not all sizes are the same for each brands.
            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

So I'll give my warning first... I would recommend to make sure you have, at a minimum, a face shield on a 3/4 if you value the skin on your face. In our last MSF BRC, we had a student go down and that shield was the only thing that kept her chin from hitting the pavement and sliding. But it saved her a LOT of pain and grief.

To give you a visual, imagine you're standing on the side of a road, and a car is driving toward you at, say, even just 25mph. Someone in the car is holding a brick out the window & it's lined up with your face. You can guess where I'm going with this scenario... but that's what it'd feel like if you fell off your bike with no face protection at 25 mph. And you can extrapolate out to other speeds and decide for yourself if that's a risk you're willing to take.

That being said, I got a good deal on a Shoei full face and I love it. Super comfortable (fits my head shape), good ventilation, great peripheral view.

Even though it's a great helmet, a modular will probably be my next purchase just to have the convenience of a flip up.

If you go and try on some helmets, and a pricey one is the one that is the most comfortable for you, get a cheaper one now, but try putting $20 out of each paycheck into an envelope labeled 'Helmet' and by next year, you'll be able to afford that new one -unless you like the really pricey ones.
              Last edited by Erik the Red; 06-29-2012, 06:28 AM.
              -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
              '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
              ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

I personally use a full face and if you have the money suggest one of the better quality helments. I have taken a few bad blows and the full face has saved me where I am sure I would have had face damage with a 3/4.

One thing to test is the vents for airflow it makes a big difference in keeping cool. Most have vents but many do not work well. Another thought is the color. Some colors will be much hotter in the sun if sitting still.

The other thing to look for is interior construction and foam. If it looks cheap it probably is and the thing that kills life of a helment is when the foam comes appart. I am also not sure that all foam coatings protect equally. True there are other parts of the build of the helment but check the interior for comfort and fit.

Remember also with full face it will fit your head a little tighter if you size it right. After wearing a little while it will form fit to your head a little better so if it is not a little uncomfortable in the begining it might be a little loose. If you are unsure get someone who really knows to help you. Its a shame when someone buys a high quality helment for protection and poor fit puts them at risk.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends