Helmet Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Type

Getting ready to buy a helmet. Hard to figure which type to get. Although my bike doesnt have one yet, I plan on having a fairing. Just cant decide on which type. Full face, three quarters, or half.. And now.. somebody mentioned a "modular" which will be the best compromise between comfort and safety?

Lee
    (Sparks)
    79 SF

compromise?

Compromise? There is no compromise when it comes to safety. I ride with the full face helmet even though my state has no helmet requirement.

But that being said.

It is your life...your choice.....choose wisely.....

Ray
    Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    Owner of:
    1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
    140 mains
    45 pilot jets
    Floats at 24mm
    Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

I use a HJC IS-33 3/4 helmet.without the shield(most of the time). I love it,it's comfortable good air circulation,and I have a vetter,that's why I don't use a shield.You'll get a hundred different answers about helmet's.Depend's how you ride,and if your clastraphobic.. I also have a skull cap,which I very seldom use anymore.
      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
      1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

I'm in Florida and it's very hot and humid here, that is a major influence in helmet selection for me. Yet I want maximum protection.
        My first helmet was a full face that was rated to have very good ventilation properties. It did, but still too hot for me. Knowing that it wasn't going to get much better in the ventilation department I then opted for an equally rated "cool" modular helmet. That one, which I still use to this day on longer rides, works very well. But still, for riding around town I found myself going lidless because of the heat and inconvenience.
        So I, considering my parental reponsibilities, I decided to get some type of CRANIAL of protection. At about the same time, I got an email promotion offering a half/beanie lid for a very reasonable price. I bought it and that's what I use around town, when I opt for it.....
        So there.....
        Thanks for hanging with me here.
        It's all a matter of choice and purpose.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by sparks View Post
          Getting ready to buy a helmet. Hard to figure which type to get. Although my bike doesnt have one yet, I plan on having a fairing. Just cant decide on which type. Full face, three quarters, or half.. And now.. somebody mentioned a "modular" which will be the best compromise between comfort and safety?
          Lee
          (Sparks)
          Hi Lee,
          gonna get more opinions than on a tire thread with this one.
          Here's mine:-
          Full or flipface for sure, 1/2 & 3/4 helmets don't protect your face.
          I'd recommend a flipface over a full helmet for anyone who wears glasses, the slightly less protection is a fair trade for not having to juggle glasses with one hand while putting on a full helmet with the other. Or balancing my glasses on the gas tank while using both hands to push the helmet past my ears. Then getting off the bike to pick my glasses up from when they'd fallen on the ground.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

ihave the kind that the whole face flips up or just the face shield can come up too. I love that helmet. I wish it just matched the bike. It looks like a crotch rocket helmet. It is a very comfortable helmet though. Awesome for someone who chews snuff like me, just flip up the front and spit, lol. I dont have a windshield so i would have to have a face shield.
            Jeff
            77 XS750 2D completely stock
            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Full face only for me, nothing else. If I didn't have one then I might be blind in one eye, toothless or possibly worse as I took a large marble size rock right between the eyes on the helmet shield traveling at about ~60mph. The truck it fell off just passed me traveling about the same speed. You don't have to do the math to figure out how badly that would have ended if it would have hit your face/eye.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Lee,
                gonna get more opinions than on a tire thread with this one.
                Ain't that the truth!

Choose whichever lid that fits the look and performance you want for your particular ride style. But alomst as important is the fit. Make sure you fit properly because a helmet that fits incorrectly can become a liability in a crash.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

They say a modular isn't as strong as the regular full helmets in the chin-bar area, but like many others, I use one. It makes donning the helmet WAY easier. As stated, I can leave my sunglasses on when I put it on, I can lift the chin-bar to take a drink, sneeze/cough, get a little more air flow going slower speeds through town, or talk to my riding partner at stoplights. It also helps get rid of the occasional errant bug/bee that inevitably finds it's way into my helmet.

So just in case they are weaker, turn your head to the side just before impact! lol. Still going to give you better protection than the half helmet "Brain bucket".
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have an Arai full helmet, an HJC 3/4 helmet, and a Shamp 1/2 helmet. They all sit on the same shelf and one is as easy to grab as another. I like the 1/2 helmet because I like the wind in my face and when behind a fairing I can hear my surroundings much better, although with no fairing earplugs are a must. I find that more than 75% of the time the Arai full face helmet is on my head. Maybe even 90%. It gives me a better feeling of security. The biggest detractor is that it prevents one from picking their nose. Also, I have to move my head a bit to see my mirrors or clocks. Fortunately, I can not say which is better in an accident. In the times I've been down, I haven't yet scratched a helmet, but that doesn't mean I'll ride without one. I should also add that the 3/4 helmet doesn't see much use as it is quite a compromise of the other two choices. I hope this is helpful.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the input. I found a site that sells "hawk" modular helmets for about 90 bux.. That's the route I think I'll go.. I can run down to Wally World and get a full face for 70 or 80 bux.. I'm just concerned with riding this summer when the temps are over a hundred.. There just isnt enough beer to compensate for that..

Lee
                      (Sparks)
                      79 SF

Comment

Lee,

Before you spring $$, see if your choice has been reviewed by the pros.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

I have filthy habits too but not that one.

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                          - - - It is a very comfortable helmet though. Awesome for someone who chews snuff like me, just flip up the front and spit, - - -
                          Hi Jeff,
                          you are joking, right? If not, the flip front enhances your chances of surviving a bike crash at the same time as it improves your chance of contracting lip and tongue cancer from chewing snuff.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            Lee,

Before you spring $$, see if your choice has been reviewed by the pros.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm
                            Mine has, the HJC CL-16. One of the least expensive helmets with both DOT and Snell 2010 safety certification.....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/hjc/cl-16/
                            1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
                            Airbox w/K&N element
                            Jardine 4 into 1
                            145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                            1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                            1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by EricHa View Post
                              Mine has, the HJC CL-16. One of the least expensive helmets with both DOT and Snell 2010 safety certification.....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/hjc/cl-16/

Well there you have yet another discussion. Last I read, NO modular helmets could attain the Snell rating. That being said, there are reports that the Snell rated helmet is actually worse for a rider's head injuries. Something to do with the fact that they must sustain a much higher blunt force testing without breaking, which transfers more of that energy to the skull.. or something. Do some reading and form your own conclusions.

Like I said, the modular won't be as tough as the solid helmet like the HJC CL-16, but it's a HECK of a lot more functional realistically, and a much better option than any 3/4 or half helmet. Also, I suggest finding some place that has the type of helmet you're looking at and go try one on. I've had some really uncomfortable helmets over the years by buying blind. I mean.. every 2X helmet (Insert your size here..) fits every head, right? Everyones head is the same shape.. right? Hello? lol.
                              Last edited by trbig; 06-28-2012, 09:31 AM.
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own