Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes it's true I bought a Harley-Davison....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley Davidson...? Oh yeah, that clothing and accessory company, I heard they make motorcycles too.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

They just assemble the bikes with Japanese parts. Showa suspension, Keihin carbs, Nippondenso electrics. Years ago I had had a roommate who had an 84 Roadster model. I don't remember what the alpabet soup was for that model, FLDHSITYBVFGHIOK or something like that. Anyway he asked me to stop by the local harley Boutique and get some rear foot pegs for him. I did and right there on the package it said Original HD parts. Had the harley shield and everything. On the bottom of the package in small letters it said made in Korea.
      American made my ass! I can't see spending $18-22k for something just to impress some other idiot who's trying to impress somebody else. H-D...Doesn't that mean "horse droppings"? What can a harley do for me that my XS can't? Get me laid? I'm married and get all I want. Hell some times I get so much I feel like I should give some back. Get me splattered? Any bike will do that. Give me a big payment, so my kids go hungry? I have about $3k total in my bike over the 13 years I've owned it. I can park my XS outside a bar, and not have to check on it every 15 minutes. It will start in cold weather, so I can ride all year. I don't need to carry a fishing net with me to scoop up the parts that vibrate off while I'm driving. If it should ever break down on the road, it won't get stolen, they just don't steal 24 year old jap bikes. And ya know, I see harley's all the time...mostly in my FREAKIN' MIRRORS!!!
      If you get the impession that I'm not impressed by harley's...you're right! If I ever buy a cruiser, it will be used, and it will probably be a Kawasaki Vulcan. maybe the Mean Streak. I really like the looks of them, and the price is more down to earth.
      I feel much better after that rant.
      Have a nice day

Comment

HD,s

Jhonny You are a wild man LOL, I agree with most of what you say but i sure do love the sound of them slow moving bohemoths, also like the style or look but not enough get up and go for me . One thing harley has done right is marketing look at the frigging resale unreal! I guess they are not for you or me but some people will settle for less than a Yamaha go figger! Have a great day .....MITCH
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I will say this...

...I have friends who ride Harleys, and they always talk about how metric riders bash them and their bikes, while friends who ride metrics seem to think that Harley riders are always bashing metrics. Hmmm... seems to me they are all crybabies (im NOT talking about anyone on this forum so no flamethrowers please!) . It is just funny, I myself have been the victim of metric bashing on my Valk.

"Why don't you get a real motorcycle?" As the man points to his Ford F150 Harley Edition.

I say, "Ahh, this is a REAL motorcycle, and last I checked that thing is called a pickup truck!"

Whatever.

It seems many ppl are holding onto ideas about a paticular brand of bike, when nothing is as it was. Harley's are made mostly in Japan and assembled here. My Valk's made mostly in Japan and was assembled HERE!

How bout this, ride what you want... if it has two wheels and an engine, then hey, Ill ride with ya!
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

The reason I'm so anti harley is because when I first bought my 80SG it was a piece of crap looking rat. I worked second shift at the time, and got home about 11:00 at night. I would start working on it then and go until 4-5 am, get some sleep, get up at noon, and go to work again. Well, I worked witha a few harley riders, and my roomie was a harley rider, and some of his friends, or at least the people he was trying to impress, were harley riders. Arrogent, loud, noisy, pretentious *******s I call them. Any way, they would give me a ration of $#it for 'wasting' all my time and money on a piece of 'Jap Crap', and I should spend my money on a harley. Ya know, for what I have invested in my bike, I couldn't buy a box of BROKEN harley parts! Well, after 150 or so hours of work, I rolled out my pristine 'Jap Crap'. It looked great. Ran great. Even some of the harley riders told me"Nice Rice". We went for a few rides, and none of the shakers could keep up with me when we would grab a handful of throttle. Sure they were loud and manacing sounding, but when it came down to it, they were just big noise makers. Got the attention of the local constabulary too.
            That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I have some frends who ride HDs and a lot of them ask me why{since I ride so much}I don`t own or buy a Harley.I just tell them I have to get my rich uncle out of the poor house first and leave it at that.I owned a 250 ninja and someone I know was afraid that I would run off and leave them on a ride and he rides a 1200 sportster needless to say we never rode togather.Now I have the xs and it suites me.It is really not what you ride,just that you ride.I really like their rideing gloves,got a pair w/the little squeege on the left glove,good if you get caught out in the rain.Personally I think bikes should be easy to work on,light,handle good,be reliable and smooth.That is why I like to look at all makes,might see something I like.The KTM Duke fits alot of that except the price{to me}and other makes to.For now I will stick with what I have it covers the bases fairly well except it most certainly is not light My 3 and a half cents worth PS: Does the HD knife hold a good edge?
              Bill Harvell

Comment

Hey, I started on on Harley '45'. Back in the '60s in central Wisconsin those big old tires worked really well on gravel roads! A good friend had a '74' and we would ride together. Sold the '45 in college, went it came time to get back on a bike a friend's husband was selling Hondas, so ended up with a CB450. Heck, it vibrated almost as much as the '45', but I could ride it from Wisconsin to Colorado and back without worrying if anything would fall off. Have stayed with Hondas and Yamahas ever since.

Sure Harley riders have an attitude, and if you spent that much money on a bike ridden so little, you would have to try and justify it too. (I will say, though, I have ridden with Harley owners who put a lot of miles on their bikes.) However, I find it easier to talk to Harley guys than BMW owners. Harley owners are convinced they can build the best bike, BMW owners know they have the best bike.......

Seriously, out on the road the brand differences get less important. I've spoken (easily) to Harley, BMW, Triumph, Honda, Yamaha, and other brand owners in national parks, rest areas, restaraunts, and gas stations with no disparaging remarks by any parties. A shared interest in things mechanical and the open road brings bikers together. At some 'show-off' venues I expect to hear the put-downs, but on the road it isn't a big issue.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey, Jerry, Where in central WI are you from? I now live 5 miles north of Pittsville. I bought my grandfather's retirement house and a bit of land 16 years ago. In 2000, I built a new house, but I kept some of the old. I now live about 75 yards from where I was born, after living in seven different states. I have nothing against ANY bikes, people ride what they like best. I am only against those that think the whole world should only like what they like.
                  And that includes a lot of Harley riders, and some rice riders too. My philosophy is, if you like it, ride it. Oh, another coincidence, my first name is Jerry
                  put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                  79 F (Blueballs)
                  79 SF (Redbutt)
                  81 LH (organ donor)
                  79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                  76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                  rover has spoken

Comment

[QUOTE]Hey, Jerry, Where in central WI are you from? [?QUOTE]
                    Grew up in central Wisconsin, little town called Greenwood. Wife is from the LaCrosse area. We lived several years in southern Wisconsin, most recently in Whitewater, SE of Madison. I used to hunt in the Pittsville area.

There is some good riding in Wisconsin, like up in the 'thumb' area (Door County) and along the Mississippi River. Best other areas are just to get on rural back roads, many of which drop down from ridge tops into river valleys, and meander around the state.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by wildbill
                      PS: Does the HD knife hold a good edge?
                      Came out of the box very sharp....haven't had time to dull it up yet.
                      Gary Granger
                      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Right, I have been all over WI, and the UP, as well as most of our national parks, the most of my travels on my 79 XS 11 SF. Wonderful bike. You did mention in the other post something about central WI, I am at the so-called exact center of the state, half way between Marshfield and Wisconsin Rapids. I did not do any touring the last 3 years, busy building my house and garage, but this summer I want to go to Key West, then back to Smoky Mt Natl Park, and the whole Blue Ridge Parkway. That should be one really spectacular ride. I will take my new wife along, she can ride on the trailer. I told her this, and she said just as long as she goes. She is just wonderful, I looked for almost 30 years for a for a second wife after getting divorced, and she is well worth the wait.
                        Yes, back in the 60's, most of these roads were gravel, crushed red granite. I rode harleys and indians over most of them. Well, hope we can share some memories of central WI. BTW, Colorado is my second favorite state. I have been there many times. Love the mountains. CUL8ER, Rover
                        79 F (Blueballs)
                        79 SF (Redbutt)
                        81 LH (organ donor)
                        rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by rover
                          Right, I have been all over WI, and the UP, as well as most of our national parks, the most of my travels on my 79 XS 11 SF. Wonderful bike. You did mention in the other post something about central WI, I am at the so-called exact center of the state, half way between Marshfield and Wisconsin Rapids. I did not do any touring the last 3 years, busy building my house and garage, but this summer I want to go to Key West, then back to Smoky Mt Natl Park, and the whole Blue Ridge Parkway. That should be one really spectacular ride. I will take my new wife along, she can ride on the trailer. I told her this, and she said just as long as she goes. She is just wonderful, I looked for almost 30 years for a for a second wife after getting divorced, and she is well worth the wait.
                          Yes, back in the 60's, most of these roads were gravel, crushed red granite. I rode harleys and indians over most of them. Well, hope we can share some memories of central WI. BTW, Colorado is my second favorite state. I have been there many times. Love the mountains. CUL8ER, Rover
                          Oh, I didn't notice the first half of your answer. Greenwood is about 40 miles from here. I just love the LaCrosse area. I also know where Whitewater is, college town. In the summer, I spend most of my weekends traveling around the state. I never carry a road map. Now that my house is finished, I will be back on the road again, on one of my 79's. Keep riding, Rover
                          79 F (Blueballs)
                          79 SF (Redbutt)
                          81 LH (organ donor)
                          rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                          X