Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes it's true I bought a Harley-Davison....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes it's true I bought a Harley-Davison....

OK it's a Harley Davidson knife.....but I really like it. I lost my most favorite knife in Maine (a Spyderco Delica Lightweight) and have not found a suitable replacement til now. Pictures do not do it justice, there are different textures in the handle, and the CRYO-edge, Titanium coated blade is pretty cool looking.

Here's the specs:

For over 25 years, Fred Carter® has forged his reputation as one of the industry's most renowned custom knifemakers. He has logged over 100,000 miles on his own Harley®.

·440 stainless steel blade with prismatic titanium coating
    ·Thumb stud
    ·6061-T6 aircraft aluminum handle
    ·Pocket clip
    ·4-7/8" closed
    ·Pivot screw wrench for blade tension adjustment.

Anybody else like pocket knives? I usually only like Spyderco and Puma, but this knife is really nice.

I usually shop at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks
    (OK only once every couple of years) My brother got me into knives at an early age buy buying me some high quality Puma and others when I was a kid.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

I want a switchblade. Need to get them re-legalised.
    Why are they illegal anyway? they're better than guns
    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
    07 V-star 1100
    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

WOW, you had me going there. At first I thought you bought a Milwaukee vibrator. Glad to see you are still with us. XS FOREVER
      put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
      79 F (Blueballs)
      79 SF (Redbutt)
      81 LH (organ donor)
      79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
      76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
      rover has spoken

Comment

Best hunting knife I had was a Cold Steel. Held an edge like no other knife I'd used. When I shot deer for a living it'd gut and trim 3 deer without needing a swipe on a steel. When it did get blunt - hell of a job to get sharp again. Once sharp it stayed sharp.

Venison prices dropped - not worth doing now. In the 80's you'd net 1dollar a lb. Average red deer 110 lbs gutted. Some big stags over 300lbs. Back-breaking work in the mountains - but good money back then. Real wilderness. Had to be fit. Sometimes shot 10 deer a week. Often took a whole day to carry one out. The game buyers wanted the whole animal. Best friend was your rifle second best friend your knife. Worst enemy bad weather. (and steep hills)

7 species of deer in NZ. Wapiti (elk) donated by Teddy Roosevelt in 1905. A good herd of whitetail down Stewart Island too. Thick forests. Haven't had a go at the cunning buggers yet. My favourites are sika - extremely elusive and smart. Hunters will know what I mean.

Comment

Heck, I bought a Harley-Davidson product a few days ago. Course, it was a Dunlop K401 front tire new on ebay for $20.00. (90/90-19) and I didn't realize the words "Harley Davidson" were cast into the sidewall until I looked it up on the Dunlop site. Good thing it is a blackwall.....

Shipping was $15.00, making the total $35.00 plus local mount and balance.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

That's a hell of a deal! I hope it doesn't make your bike start shaking as soon as you start it up

Comment

I rode harleys back in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's, that was when you could buy a used one for a week's pay. Those and Indians were about all that were available back then. There were a few brits around, but quite expensive. Then I started buying jap bikes, quicker with far better handling. I rode a kaw H-2 for 8 years, then got a bargain on my 79 11 special back in 82, and have had it ever since. Two years ago, I bought a lot of four bikes, one being an 81 Mid Special, all were in very rough condition, but two ran. Then a couple months ago, bought a 79 Standard, in pretty good shape off E Bay for $515.00. Windjammer w/lowers, and Sampsonite removeable luggage. My special has a windjammer, hard bags, and a large trunk. It has 97,000 miles, and has never been apart. It has carried me all over the U S over the years, now I need to do the transmission gears, I read the thread on it, and I am going to try to make new diaphragms for the carbs. I figured out that mine were bad, cause when I would get on it and get it into the higer revs, it would sound like there was another gear it went into. After playing with the clutch and finding that it was not slipping, I figured out that at the high revs, the diaphragms finally lifted the slides all the way up, and gave the old girl an additional kick. Pulled one off, and found a lot of holes. So, I guess my reckoning was right on. I pulled the carbs off the 81, and those diaphragms were not quite so bad. Hope the ones on the standard are O K, the things cost as much as the whole standard bike cost me. I read a thread on them, and I am going to try to make four of them. I sure hope this works, will save a lot of $$$. Keep riding, Rover
              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
              79 F (Blueballs)
              79 SF (Redbutt)
              81 LH (organ donor)
              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
              rover has spoken

Comment

Liquid Rubber

Some of the guys on this site repaired theirs with a liquid rubber the dipped them in or brushed on not sure which! I think they got the productat an automotive supply shop. ....MITCH
                Doug Mitchell
                82 XJ1100 sold
                2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

On the $20.00 Harley tire....

Be aware that the load rating and the diameter of the K401 90/90-19 is lower than the MM90-19 K491 Elite II.

K401: 441 max load 25.85 overall diameter
                  K491: 570 max load 26.41 overall diameter
                  Both tires have the same recommended rim size. Factory OEM is the K491 MM90-19 so the K401 is one size smaller than stock.

I'm trying the 90/90 due to a very tight budget. The dealer who had them on ebay had them listed under item #2458281206. He listed 10, sold 6, so may have a couple left.

Dunlop motorcycle tire page can be found at:
                  http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Bowie knife

They had this Bowie Knife on Antiques Roadshow a few days ago that turns out was an original........its worth was estimated at $50,000 US ......you got a heck of a deal Gary by these standards.
                    Bruce
                    Bruce Doucette
                    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

a few knives

Yeah I got 7 or 8 pocket knives. A couple are swiis army, one is merchant marine knife made in England during the war (wooden handles) a Sears knife with silver and I think ivory handle and a few more odd ones...
                      Bruce
                      Bruce Doucette
                      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

how can you cut a straight line with a harley knife, it must shake like hell,you must use two hands to hold it steady.

Comment

Double bladed

I bought this double bladed belt knife years ago from an add in Penthouse magasine, trouble is the belt shrunk 3 or more ins and I need to have the belt stretched so as I can wear it again......funny thing how materials shrink as they get older....
                          Bruce
                          Bruce Doucette
                          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Smokey Mt Knife Works

That is one place that is very hard to leave from.They always have something that is interesting or unusual.The knifes I have,been collecting them for a long time are,the ones I carry a good swiss,a greber lightweight w/clip{for pants and shirt pockets}and a little leatherman w/scrossers that is on a keychain.Got a greber pocket tool also a kershaw pocket tool this one has locking needlenose visegripes.I have others but I keep them putup.This my 2 cents worth PS is that knife rubber mounted?
                            Bill Harvell

Comment

Originally posted by scoobes
                              how can you cut a straight line with a harley knife, it must shake like hell,you must use two hands to hold it steady.
                              Yes and the oilstains in my pocket are hard to clean!

Well the nice thing is the knife is not made by Harley D, just using the badges. They were discounted because they were a 100th anniversary thing.
                              Gary Granger
                              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                              X