No announcement yet.

So, What has fallen off your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost a side cover someplace in Texas. Was doing about 85, and didn't even look back! It was almost 10 miles to the next exit, and I was NOT going to go look for it! That was about six years ago on my ride to Ohio via the Southern route.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My left side panel is missing the dicky-do to hold it into place. I fixed it by drilling a hole and inserting a long wood screw. It's kinda tricky and you have to really pay attention when you put it back on.

A while back I was working on it and had the panel off. Went to take a test ride and kinda just slapped it on there. I'm doing 60 down the back road an hit a bump, heard a low rattling noise, looked down to my left just in time to watch it come off. Watched it in the mirror tumble on its long end down the road...

Now, those of you that have seen pic's of my bike an know it history could only imagine what was traveling thru my mind @ this point. it came to rest on the yellow line in the middle of the road....

A car was passing in the opposite direction... I anchored the brakes and made the sharpest u-turn I've ever made on a bike. The car missed it by inches. I stopped in the middle of the road, picked it up, put it in the trunk, and rode home to asses the damage. As it rolled on the long end there was no damage to the mural on the face of it. just a couple light scratches..... I have a feeling someone from the other side decided to teach me a lesson about making sure things are 100% ready before you roll out!
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Yep,
        I lost a left side cover too. Of course the latching thingy was broken and I thought what was left would hold it in..... NOT !!!
        This happened just a couple of weeks after I bought a matching set. So I put the replacement on, again, with the bronken locking tab, but this time I secured it with bungee accross the bottom. That was 3 years ago.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
          Yep,
          I lost a left side cover too. Of course the latching thingy was broken and I thought what was left would hold it in..... NOT !!!
          This happened just a couple of weeks after I bought a matching set. So I put the replacement on, again, with the bronken locking tab, but this time I secured it with bungee accross the bottom. That was 3 years ago.
          The spur on my left cover latch is gone also but I just layed a piece of duct tape over the latch tower and stuck it in the lock and I haven't had an issue in several thousand miles.

Gotta replace that little piece of duct tape evey once in a while though.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I believe you need to start doing a proper preflight inspection!
            HaHa Marty, spoken light a true jet mechanic.
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Like Tod......Me. Oh and a cell phone. Hint, never leave your cell phone in one of those belt hook pockets while riding your motorcycle at highway speeds. Wind will lift it off your belt. Then it is a long slow ride looking in ditches and the side of the road for all the parts to put it back together. I think they had an easier time finding all the parts of me. Only lost my glasses and one small piece of my tibia.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Like Tod......Me. Oh and a cell phone. Hint, never leave your cell phone in one of those belt hook pockets while riding your motorcycle at highway speeds. Wind will lift it off your belt. Then it is a long slow ride looking in ditches and the side of the road for all the parts to put it back together. I think they had an easier time finding all the parts of me. Only lost my glasses and one small piece of my tibia.
                Or just have a good case so all the parts stay contained within
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Twice the contents of my saddlebags when I forgot to close on clasp.... Also lost the start button off of the handle bar.
                  1981 XS 11 special
                  red
                  40,000 miles

Comment

Glasses

On my way to a rally on Fri the 13th. I stopped to look at a map and had to take off my sun glasses and put on my reading glasses. I have a glasses case mounted on the dash of the fairing and as I was riding down the road after the map stop I noticed the case was open and there were no glasses there. I was wearing my sun glasses so the reading glasses were missing. I turned around and went back to the map stop about 5 miles back looking at the other side of the road and then turned around and slowly rode the 5 miles again looking, nothing. I stopped and thought what to do now and just for fun I decided to look around on the bike. I found 'em hanging on the fairing mount just forward of the engine on the right side. I couldn't believe it was Fri the 13th.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Lost the left Side cover once, before I learned about the superglue and baking soda trick. Got a new side cover (with a broken latch) and re-built it with the glue, and now it latches perfectly.

I've knocked the door off my saddlebags a couple of times by clipping a car too closely - once in my driveway, and once in a parking lot. Other than that, keeping the bolts tight seems to have kept everything in place.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Lost the rain cover for my seat when a saddle bag lid didn't latch. Had a few nice pocket knives disappear on a ride as well. Lost a speedo cable one time when the bottom end came loose. Then there was the time I left the oil cap on the footpeg...(but those two were on a XJ650).
                        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Speedo cable

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
                          Lost the rain cover for my seat when a saddle bag lid didn't latch. Had a few nice pocket knives disappear on a ride as well. Lost a speedo cable one time when the bottom end came loose. Then there was the time I left the oil cap on the footpeg...(but those two were on a XJ650).
                          If you notice the speedo cable has a collar on one end to keep it from going through the outer housing and that end should be just under the speedo to prevent it from falling out should the housing come loose from the wheel end.
                          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                          Drilled airbox
                          Tkat fork brace
                          Hardly mufflers
                          late model carbs
                          Newer style fuses
                          Oil pressure guage
                          Custom security system
                          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Yabut..this bike had been seriously PO'd. It was also my first motorcycle and I didn't have a clue about what was or wasn't where it was supposed to be. After about a year of ownership it was a decent bike when I sold it.
                            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Lost stuff...

Had a '62 Harley Sprint when I was in High School. It was like riding a little jack hammer. It left a trail of passenger foot-rest, license plates, and miscellaneous nuts and bolts everywhere I went: but man, could it HANDLE.
                              But my Skoot? The worst thing was my tank bag. I moved it to my passenger seat to get gas. I got done, got on my bike, road off, and when a dude in a pick-up passed me (@ 80mph!) and pointed behind him, I immediately got the message, and turned around to look for it, but alas, it was gone! Unfortunately it contained some very important paperwork. I also, another time, lost a nice summer, mesh, riding jacket! One can never over fasten something!
                              Special Ed
                              Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                              I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Wife, when I dropped the bike in a rain storm. Were still married and she still comes along when we've got a clear SUNNY afternoon. That's her on the back of the bike in my puny hard to see photo in the corner.
                                Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana.

1979 XS 1100 special (been down the PO trail and it was messy)

Comment

Working...
                                X