Decided to Junk my XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by va_blue_stang View Post
    No everybody told me I would have to get a different m/c for the front, that the XJ m/c isn't big enough to operate both calipers.
    I'm not sure that makes any sense...The XJ came from the factory with linked brakes operated from the rear brake pedal. left front brake caliper was linked to the rear
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I might have the same trouble. I have all the parts to separate the front from rear like I think it should be, only trouble is I installed an XS650 front M/C and haven't tried it yet. If I ever get brake parts I'll let you know if it works. I doubt it will be a huge problem if they are bled right, shouldn't need too much fluid to operate.
      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
        - - - only trouble is I installed an XS650 front M/C and haven't tried it yet. - - -
        Hi Dogg,
        A post '76 XS650 front m/c has a 16mm piston which is too big for the XS650's stock single caliper; feels like wood.
        Doubling up the calipers with a dual disk conversion gives that same m/c a real nice feel.
        The stock XS11 Special front m/c has an 11/16" piston.
        What I reckon is that a 16mm (~5/8") front m/c on an XS11 would feel nice too.
        Especially with s/st braided lines.
        Most likely the XS650 m/c would work on an XJ11 brake rationalization too.
        WTF, you got all the parts, try it out.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Exactly right! I'll give it a shot. The XS650 was early 70's but the levers including M/C were after market and in brand new shape. I have no idea what size the piston is in it.

I haven't even tried the current system on the XJ and honestly don't want to. If I come up to fast on a patch of gravel my instinct will be to hit the rear brake like a real biker should I don't want any surprises locking up my front wheel instead
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
            Exactly right! I'll give it a shot. The XS650 was early 70's but the levers including M/C were after market and in brand new shape. I have no idea what size the piston is in it. - - -
            >
            Hi Dogg,
            all the Yamaha m/cs have the bore size cast in raised letters underneath the barrel.
            As all m/cs from one mfr tend to look the same, try to see if your aftermarket m/cs have been marked for size so the bike shop counter-monkey could tell them apart.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              >
              Hi Dogg,
              all the Yamaha m/cs have the bore size cast in raised letters underneath the barrel.
              As all m/cs from one mfr tend to look the same, try to see if your aftermarket m/cs have been marked for size so the bike shop counter-monkey could tell them apart.
              It says MAELRA in the center of a crown. Made in Germany. There is no size anywhere.

Comment

Working...
              X