Decided to Junk my XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided to Junk my XJ1100

As the title states I have giving up on my 82 XJ1100J. I have owned it since August of Last year and successfully rode it for about 200 miles. Have never been able to get the rear brakes working properly so it has been a scary 200 miles of no brakes except one caliper in the front.
    I have ordered enough parts to build 3 sets of rear brakes with no luck. New brake yesterday that were not correct. Tried bleeding them yesterday with the old pads to find out I can't get any pressure what so ever. Everything has been cleaned and new rebuild kits in everything, just to find out the last diaphragm I got and put on the master cylinder is leaking and tearing at the edge.
    Thanks for letting me vent on here and now I guess another old Yamaha is going to be stripped as a parts bike, which is a shame since it has all new connectors and the engine is strong as hell.

Thanks for all the help, Mitch
    82 XJ1100
    Very Little that is factory left.
    Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Seems a shame to completely junk a bike simply because you can't figure a brake out. Cap off the front left caliper and throw an XS M/C on there.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I agree with Tod. It is a waste to junk a bike for parts just because you can't figure out why the brakes won't work. Sell the thing as a whole to someone who want to figure it out.

Did you ever look at the lines to see if they are clogged/rusted shut. My rear line was rusted shut.

Proportioning valve?

Split the brake system so that the front and rear are separate, at least then the front will work till you figure out the back.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        Seems a shame to completely junk a bike simply because you can't figure a brake out. Cap off the front left caliper and throw an XS M/C on there.
        I have 2 xs masters now, one that came on it and another that I ordered for it because the diaphragm on the first was busted. Now the one on the second is cracking so unless there's a home solution for it I'm going to have to track another one down. I'm just tired of throwing money out in the dark experimenting on what the solution could be..

I've owned other Late 70's Yamaha triples and have never had this knid of trouble getting to ride them.
        82 XJ1100
        Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          I agree with Tod. It is a waste to junk a bike for parts just because you can't figure out why the brakes won't work. Sell the thing as a whole to someone who want to figure it out.

Did you ever look at the lines to see if they are clogged/rusted shut. My rear line was rusted shut.

Proportioning valve?

Split the brake system so that the front and rear are separate, at least then the front will work till you figure out the back.
          I've been riding with only one front brake since I bought it in August. Yesterday I had to slow suddenly and figured out that it is a death trap like that.

I would to find a picture of the plunger assembly to make sure I have it rebuilt correctly because the picture in the manual sucks for detail.
          82 XJ1100
          Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

I couldnt get no pressure on mine in the back so i put brake fluid up through backwards with a syringe and pumped it out and then did it again and finally got pressure.
            Jeff
            77 XS750 2D completely stock
            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
              I couldnt get no pressure on mine in the back so i put brake fluid up through backwards with a syringe and pumped it out and then did it again and finally got pressure.
              A regular medical syringe and a hose hooked to the bleeder screw while it's open, correct?
              82 XJ1100
              Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

I found that I have a problem in the plunger setup itself. I tried pumping fluid backward through the system and it goes good till it gets to the plunger and it refuses to let fluid back into the m/c. I can remove it and cover the bottom hole for the plunger with my finger and it squirts fluid back through the relief hole.
                82 XJ1100
                Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Originally posted by va_blue_stang View Post
                  As the title states I have giving up on my 82 XJ1100J. I have owned it since August of Last year and successfully rode it for about 200 miles. Have never been able to get the rear brakes working properly so it has been a scary 200 miles of no brakes except one caliper in the front.
                  Hi Mitch,
                  runs good, got papers, all it needs is the brakes fixed? There's members here who'd kill to be that far ahead and you want to break it?
                  For shame.
                  Get in touch with Andreas.
                  Buy the master cylinders off an XS11 Standard to transition your bike to separate brake operation.
                  Back on the road in half a day after the package arrives.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Mitch,
                    runs good, got papers, all it needs is the brakes fixed? There's members here who'd kill to be that far ahead and you want to break it?
                    For shame.
                    Get in touch with Andreas.
                    Buy the master cylinders off an XS11 Standard to transition your bike to separate brake operation.
                    Back on the road in half a day after the package arrives.
                    I have 2 xs m/c now that I'm working with. The bike didn't come with the xj m/c. I have 3 plungers I've rebuilt with no luck and just don't have the resources to keep buying parts to experiment with. As a whole bike I can't get back half of what I've sunk into it that's why I want to part it out.
                    82 XJ1100
                    Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Can you build pressure in the MC with it off the bike, by just pumping it by hand?

The rear us a pain to bleed because it has to pump up before it goes down. It very often holds a bubble there and then you can't get the pressure to build in the lines.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Can you build pressure in the MC with it off the bike, by just pumping it by hand?

The rear us a pain to bleed because it has to pump up before it goes down. It very often holds a bubble there and then you can't get the pressure to build in the lines.
                        Builds some pressure but the plunger will not move freely to push itself back out I have to pull it back down. I've cleaned and cleaned on this thing. I've tried 3 plungers in 2 different m/c with no luck what so ever.
                        82 XJ1100
                        Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

If it won't come back out on its own then something isn't right inside.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If it won't come back out on its own then something isn't right inside.
                            I can leave the top gasket off of the plunger and it still will not push it out. It acts like it's binding but I can't find a reason why.
                            82 XJ1100
                            Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Originally posted by va_blue_stang View Post
                              I can leave the top gasket off of the plunger and it still will not push it out. It acts like it's binding but I can't find a reason why.
                              You need to lightly hone the bore. I always check for free movement before doing final reassembly on any master cylinder because I've ran into this more times than not. Honing isn't a big deal; pick up some fine sandpaper (600-800 grit), roll it tightly to form it, then tape it to a wood pencil at one end so it can 'flap'. Chuck the pencil in a drill, and with a bit of brake fluid for 'cutting oil', spin this in the bore. Take the seals off the plunger, and when that will go in and out with no issues, clean it up and reassemble.

The slightest bit of corrosion in the bore is all it takes; many times you can't see it.
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X