No announcement yet.

New rider falls, i worry im gonna see her in the news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way he described it was a group of squids out riding with shorts, tennis shoes, T-shirts and one of them lost control, I hadn't heard about a death wish on the part of that particular person, but it's absolutely true he didn't have a prayer
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      There was a multi-page article published by Motorcyclist a number of years ago (sadly, no longer available online) that tested then-current models, ranging from discount-house brands up to big $$ models with all the latest Snell ratings. The very interesting results were that the cheaper DOT-rated helmets (without the 'better' Snell rating) were judged to be a lot safer than the more-expensive Snell models.
      Here's a copy of the original article: Blowing the Lid Off

Yes, you can spend $500+ on a fancy "name-brand" helmet, but personally, I don't see the need. The same specs are found in the $100-range helmets, and will then allow me to afford a nice jacket, boots and gloves at the same time. ATGATT
      Last edited by CatatonicBug; 06-01-2012, 04:38 PM.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Avoided?

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        I would never rag on someone for their choice. My choice is personal and based on having had accidents both where the helmet was not needed and where it saved me from injury (and one where having a full face instead of a 3/4 would have saved me from injury), but that is a personal choice. I believe in helmet use but don't believe in helmet laws. I rode in Az with no helmet laws and wore a helmet 100% of the time, both on and off road.

While I believe that each rider has the right to choose to wear or not wear protection of whatever type, but I disagree on there being a way to "ride to impact" as there are impacts that are not able to be avoided.
        I didn't say impact was avoided. Drove right into the back seat of a '62 pontiac once, no helmet. There was surely an impact, but when it happened I wasn't there. No helmet, no injuries. That's what I'm talking about. There are others very similar too. You guys with such minimal experience trying to tell others what to do is funny at best.

That should put your "rag in a knot".
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
          i didn't say impact was avoided. Drove right into the back seat of a '62 pontiac once, no helmet. There was surely an impact, but when it happened i wasn't there. No helmet, no injuries. That's what i'm talking about. There are others very similar too. You guys with such minimal experience trying to tell others what to do is funny at best.

That should put your "rag in a knot".
          +1.........
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
            Oooh - BTW I think I saw her a few minutes ago ride by out the window and it LOOKED like she was on a different RED Harley instead of a BLACK one - maybe she went and traded it in for a smaller one - couldn't get a good look - maybe I need to ride around and look for her
            Or maybe she dropped the black one too many times and had to go get a new one.

You should introduce her to the old man down the street with the little 3 wheeler. Maybe he could give her some pointers.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

With all respect, don't generalize with me in it (probably the same sentiments from others as well...) when it comes to guys on this thread as having minimal experience in whatever you are saying. I don't wear going over the bars or into another vehicle without a helmet as a badge of experience.

It was clear that Cy wasn't talking about avoiding an impact, but that despite a person's best efforts they won't be able to "ride to impact" with out injury (when not wearing helmet/other gear) with in the scope of some collisions.

How the hell do you "drive into the back seat of a '62 Pontiac", experience an impact, but say there was no injury because "when it happened you weren't there?" So did you end up in the back seat or in a bed of flowers to cushion your impact at the side of the road?

This is going nowhere fast...
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
                With all respect, don't generalize with me in it (probably the same sentiments from others as well...) when it comes to guys on this thread as having minimal experience in whatever you are saying. I don't wear going over the bars or into another vehicle without a helmet as a badge of experience.

It was clear that Cy wasn't talking about avoiding an impact, but that despite a person's best efforts they won't be able to "ride to impact" with out injury (when not wearing helmet/other gear) with in the scope of some collisions.

How the hell do you "drive into the back seat of a '62 Pontiac", experience an impact, but say there was no injury because "when it happened you weren't there?" So did you end up in the back seat or in a bed of flowers to cushion your impact at the side of the road?

This is going nowhere fast...
                ......and bought as clear as mud. To re-respond to original question: buy the helmet that is comfortable and fits YOUR needs.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

HJC Helmets are the best bang for your buck. Heres what I do. Go to a bike shop that sells them and fit one to your melon. As different brand sizing can differ... then go to Motorcycle-Superstore.com and start shopping. You can get a SNELL rated HJC for $150 or less. Sometimes they have big sales. I got my last 2 HJC's from superstores. MY CS-15 cost me $65 and my FS-15 cost me $154 both snell rated just closeout last year models. JAT

as for lil girl on a big bike... theres the polar opposite too... I seen a 300+lb man on a 250 ninja on the freeway the other day. I was waiting for a love handle to get caught in the chain... I think the seat and cowling was in there somewhere, but wasn't visible

I don't understand the whole deal with a MAN's bike. I had some dude on a GSXR1000 give me crap one day up @ my favorite stop up in the hills when I owned my 748 superbike. He said "I'd buy some 916 badges for it so I wouldn't look like a sissy!" So then I offered to ride with him back towards town. Not sure what happened to him... I lost him somewhere in the twistys in my mirrors.
                  Don
                  1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hard

Gassin' it hard to get through the intersection before the light changes. Yeah I know, stupid, but the guy turned left in front of me and I hit him at about 75 mph. I jumped up just before impact and went over the car, tuck and roll as I was spinning anyway from hitting my feet on the roof of the car. Minor bruises only. Totalled the bike and car.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

That's what I've always done when a crash is inevitable................JUMP and take my chances with the ground.

Parked my 500 under a van on 183 in Ft Worth one afternoon when it stopped right in front of me at about 50. I dove for the grass on the median. Missed the grass but I missed the van too.

Road rash heals faster than crushed bones.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        That's what I've always done when a crash is inevitable................JUMP and take my chances with the ground.

Parked my 500 under a van on 183 in Ft Worth one afternoon when it stopped right in front of me at about 50. I dove for the grass on the median. Missed the grass but I missed the van too.

I put my 99 R-1 into a flat bed car trailer up the Gorge. I was up in the apex of this big sweeping corner and dude's trailer came across my line. before the bike could high side me me I dove for the ditch. Bike ended up in a Douglas Fir tree 40 feet off the Ravine. Thank God for full sport bike leathers. I end up with minimal road rash and a separated shoulder. guy never stopped.. lucky I was riding with others. My medical insurance was not pleased with me

My 96 R6 died a horrible death thanks to a drunk chick running a red light. I smashed her windshield with my helmet. She was nice enough to let me slide off her hood before she tried to make a break for it. When the cops caught up to her she said "I don't know what your talking about, I think a kid threw a rock and it smashed my windshield!" the Cops were overly impressed as you could imagine. No license, no insurance.... Guess who gotta pay for that hospital trip too.... ME! It was a Hot summer night. I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Spent the next 3 days in the hospital as they picked rocks out of my back... I must have skidded across the ground after leaving her car. I had road rash all the way up the left side of my back. Most uncomfortable 3 weeks of my life as that scabbed and healed. but it was better than having them sew my shoulder back together again.

I quit riding for a few years after that... it felt like the was a higher power that didn't like seeing me on 2 wheels

I quit riding for a while after that....
                        Don
                        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

In many if not most cases you have an out for you at least if not you and the bike, but sometimes situations come up where there is no time to react and you don't have the speed OR room to get away. Everybody has to make their choice. I'll wear the gear, cause when I have to make that escape, the gear will make thing more survivable and make for less damage to my aging body.

As for the SNELL helmets, given that they allow more force through to the brain, and our brain can take less force without damage as we age, I'll stick with the softer DOT helmets. At the speeds that the helmet is actually going to save your life, I can't see the SNELL helmet really performing any better, and besides, I like my modular so much that I can't see giving it up and I've not seen any SNELL modular helmets as yet, and I REFUSE to spend $300-400 or more on a helmet which would make me unable to afford the rest of the gear.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                          X