dead battery? nope im a dipstick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead battery? nope im a dipstick.

After almost being late for work because the bike won't start I spent about two hours the next day looking for a problem and checking connections. The damn run switch was off. I sure know how to make myself feel stupid. Anybody ever do anything like this?
    1982 xj 1100
    "The Ape"
    http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

something like that...

Don't feel bad. Its just like looking for your reading glasses that are perched on your head.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Few weeks ago I was going to ride to work. Started her up, got ready, got on, tried to go and she dies. Wouldn't restart. Gave up and drove my pickup. About half way to work I remembered....forgot to turn the petcocks on.....
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by XJfan1 View Post
        After almost being late for work because the bike won't start I spent about two hours the next day looking for a problem and checking connections. The damn run switch was off. I sure know how to make myself feel stupid. Anybody ever do anything like this?
        I did that with a 77 sporty one time. ONE TIME. Walked all the way home and came back with a buddy to get it. He walked over to it flipped the kill switch and it started on the first kick.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

When I was 19 I bought a project camaro. I spent a few weeks getting her running. I drive her around some while I was building a new motor. A couple of months after I got the new motor built I was looking for some time to put it in. I was out driving it around and it died and would not start. So I changed the motor and it still would not run. That when I realized the gas guage was wrong.it was out of gas. Long story short ran the car out of gas and changed the motor. I have my moments.
          1982 xj 1100
          "The Ape"
          http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

Comment

I never use the kill switch on any bike for that reason,......unless its laying on the ground.
            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I use the kill switch every single time I turn off the bike. The key is an afterthought. That's the way MSF teaches it.

I have gotten down to the end of my street, only to have the bike die. Took me several minutes to realize I had left the petcocks turned off.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                I use the kill switch every single time I turn off the bike. The key is an afterthought. That's the way MSF teaches it.
                What exactly is the reasoning behind that?
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  It keeps your hands on the bars until the engine is dead. Doing it every time trains your mind to go there first in the event of an emergency. Page 23 of the MSF manual outlines this concept.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Hi Greg,
                    it's to remind you that the useless waste-of-space thing is there so that when the bike is parked and some interfering do-gooder wanders by and flips it you check it's position first when you turn on the gas, insert the key, push the button, see the dash light up but the bike don't crank rather than have one of those now WTF's wrong with it? moments.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

They teach the FINE-C starting procedure also. Fuel, Ignition (Key Switch), Neutral, Emergency stop (right handlebar switch) - Choke. Procedure to go through before you start the bike. Eliminates the petcocks not turned on, or e-stop switch not on, no choke for a morning start, issues.

No I am not telling anyone how many times I have forgotten tot turn on my petcocks, but I have the procedure to turn them on while riding down pretty well. And yes, this is a fat heavy friggin pig of a bike to push a mile or so while your brain recalls to check them.

I almost never use the E-stop switch to stop the bike. While I get the MSF reasoning, I can tell you form experience that when the guano really hits the rotary device, that button ain't on the checklist. Figuring out where you are, and what time of day, of what day it is, that is first. Really, you will most likely not be with the bike anymore. With the age of these bikes and those switches, I prefer not to break the stupid thing by overuse. JMO
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post

I almost never use the E-stop switch to stop the bike. While I get the MSF reasoning, I can tell you form experience that when the guano really hits the rotary device, that button ain't on the checklist. Figuring out where you are, and what time of day, of what day it is, that is first. Really, you will most likely not be with the bike anymore. With the age of these bikes and those switches, I prefer not to break the stupid thing by overuse. JMO
                        +1...........from first-hand experience also.........that kill switch was the fartherest thing on my mind.......as should be. Also understand the MSF reasoning, but 'real-world' is totally different......just sayin....
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

My hands are on the bars until the bike stops anyway. I pull in, put in neutral, turn petcocks off and run a few seconds to get some of the fuel out of the bowls before i turn it off. At lest that way, it runs the fuel out of the lines and dont have a full bowl in case my float valves are sticking i wont get gas in the oil. I need to replace my float valves someday.
                          Jeff
                          77 XS750 2D completely stock
                          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Brain dead?

If you can't figure out what happened before you push it a long ways, maybe you shoudn't be astride something that's gonna bring things to you quite so fast. I've tried to start many times after leaving it in the off position. Takes me less than 5 seconds to figure what's wrong. If you were an AMA member, they would come rescue you for free.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

did the kill switch thing once,now I don't use it.
                              FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                              1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
                              X