I did something really stupid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did something really stupid.

I'm having a charging issue with my xj. I ordered some new brushes for the alternator and I was trying to clean the copper plate they ride on. With the cover off I started the engine and was cleaning the grime off by lightly touching it with 1500 grit sand paper. Well apparently there is a plug in the bottom of the case that is held in by the cover. The bike ran for about 30 seconeds before the plug flew out at mach 9 and was followed by a blast of motor oil.luckily I was sitting in a folding chair and not on the floor.i quickly shut her off the began to hunt the plug that came out like a missle. I found it about 12 feet away and out it back in. lesson learned.
    1982 xj 1100
    "The Ape"
    http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

mate, dont feel to bad
    ur not the 1st person to do that.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yep, BTDT, got the stain on the garage floor to prove it.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I have a saying "I like to learn from other peoples mistakes, keeps me from making them myself". This is one of those, if I had not read about it a few time sover the years on this forum I would never had thought that could happen.

Glad it was just an inconvenience more than a "What happens when you let your bike run for ten minutes with no oil cause its all over the garage floor?" threads.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Haven't gone after the alternator yet, but when I saw your title I wondered "when did I post that?")
          1981 XS 11 special
          red
          40,000 miles

Comment

I made a similar mistake with a dishwasher once. Those door safeties are there for a reason, evidently.
            XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Originally posted by XJfan1 View Post
              I'm having a charging issue with my xj. I ordered some new brushes for the alternator and I was trying to clean the copper plate they ride on. With the cover off I started the engine and was cleaning the grime off by lightly touching it with 1500 grit sand paper. .
              Howdy,

Here is another lesson that you may or may not have learned.
              Soft materials can get sharp, abrasive particles imbedded in them.
              Copper slip rings are soft.
              Abrasive paper particles are hard and, well, abrasive.
              When you use sand paper in copper, the particles can get imbedded in the copper.
              Now you have what is called a lap.
              Laps are used to grind things.
              Carbon brushes don't last long when run against a lap.
              Depending on the type of "sandpaper" you are using, the particles may or may not be electrically conductive. Garnet paper, true "sand" paper, is not conductive. Wet or dry usually has aluminum oxide grit, which is. This leads to arcing at the interface.
              Does the fact that you are looking for a stator have anything to do with your method of cleaning the slip rings?
              A rubber eraser is the preferred method for cleaning the slip rings.
              That's the lesson for today. CZ

Comment

Thanks Cap

Once again your years of "experience" will save me from making a mistake down the road.

Glad you are here.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

How long did it take you to find the plug??? Mine took at least 2 days
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                    How long did it take you to find the plug??? Mine took at least 2 days
                    i found after about ten minutes. nothing to bad i guess
                    1982 xj 1100
                    "The Ape"

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                      Howdy,

Here is another lesson that you may or may not have learned.
                      Soft materials can get sharp, abrasive particles imbedded in them.
                      Copper slip rings are soft.
                      Abrasive paper particles are hard and, well, abrasive.
                      When you use sand paper in copper, the particles can get imbedded in the copper.
                      Now you have what is called a lap.
                      Laps are used to grind things.
                      Carbon brushes don't last long when run against a lap.
                      Depending on the type of "sandpaper" you are using, the particles may or may not be electrically conductive. Garnet paper, true "sand" paper, is not conductive. Wet or dry usually has aluminum oxide grit, which is. This leads to arcing at the interface.
                      Does the fact that you are looking for a stator have anything to do with your method of cleaning the slip rings?
                      A rubber eraser is the preferred method for cleaning the slip rings.
                      That's the lesson for today. CZ
                      ok well... no thats not the reason im looking for a stator. sanding a slip ring does not ruin the stator. im looking for a stator because four or five of the loops of wire are loose and rubbing aginst eachother. all the insulating materials that seperate the wire and the steel stator frame are brittle and falling apart. i used sand 1500 grit sand paper very lightly for just a moment till the oil flew out then i stopped. im not going to hand sand the slip ring copper is soft and would be easily ruined spinning it and lightly touching it i dont see a problem with. should i have continuity between the inner and outer slip ring? if i put a leed on each ring i get nothing.
                      1982 xj 1100
                      "The Ape"

Comment

should i have continuity between the inner and outer slip ring? if i put a leed on each ring i get nothing.
                        What do you mean by nothing? If you read zero ohms, the rotor is shorted. If you read infinity, the rotor is open, also no good. I'm not familiar with the XJ, but I think you should be looking for something like 5 ohms.

These folks can help: www.customrewind.com

Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Working...
                        X