No announcement yet.

Ebay Waterproof GPS mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My main purpose for mounting the gps is not for full turn by turn navagaion. It's to find gas stations, stores, and restraunts in unfamiliar territories. Places that aren't on maps, and in these parts I can't always rely on my smart phone to have signal everywhere. So my figuring is if its up and running all the time all I have to do is pull over real quick and type in what im looking for and then have it give me directions. Example... When i go to Sunriver, I know where Sunriver is.... But damn near every rental house looks the same and that place is a maze designed to trap you in. So I can have my garmin map me into our destination.

I navigate by feel most all day @ work. But when going to a new place I pull out the smart phone and type inthe address and try and remember the roads I need to turn down. I leave the map loaded so if I need to pull over and reference it again I can. This is my plan for the gps on the bike.
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Yeah, what's more distracting than having a GPS on your bars is switching your tank to reserve on a deserted rural highway as the sun starts to finally dip below the mountains, out of cell service, and finding out that the gas station that your smartphone led you to in the few moments you had service no longer exists. You have roughly 20 miles to get somewhere else, and 20 minutes before it's pitch black. Which direction do you drive?
      Last edited by Danny Crawdad; 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM.
      XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Crawdad View Post
        Yeah, what's more distracting than having a GPS on your bars is switching your tank to reserve on a deserted rural highway as the sun starts to finally dip below the mountains, out of cell service, and finding out that the gas station that your smartphone led you to in the few moments you had service no longer exists. You have roughly 20 miles to get somewhere else, and 20 minutes before it's pitch black. Which direction do you drive?
        Danny,

Sounds like experience talking there

Yes this is one of many scenarios I'm trying to avoid. Of course I can hear all the old timers now with the "back in my day..." And "don't you know how to use a map and stop and ask for direction?" And my favorite "you kids rely on technology too much!" Yes I can read a map and I'm great @ asking for direction, especially pulling into a Lil town and looking for the best watering hole...
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Old days

I did a cross country run in '74 on a old Honda 450, had a 2 gal tank and I could get almost 100 miles between fillups if I didn't push it hard, but trying to keep up with traffic with that thing I was pushing it. There are lots of places to get stranded so I got gas pretty much anytime I found it.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I know @ 120 miles on Old Man its time to start looking for gas...cuz @ 140 to 150 I'm looking for reserve depending on riding conditions. I average 35 mpg so I round down to 30 for just in case... that puts me @ 120 for 4 gallons. Better safe than sorry. So on my Trip to Central Oregon I plan on find gas every 100 to 120 miles. or before pulling a high pass... even if I've only got 60 on the trip-ometer I know that there are NO gas station @ the top of the passes most places in the Cascades... Sometime it can be 30 miles to a station on the other side of the hill. Last time I drove the cage around the McKenzie Pass I remember Gas in Bend, Gas somewhere half way around... then there is nothing till Black Butte... Going of Mt Hood is going to be interesting... Driving a cage I never notice much, but on the bike I'll probably have to fill up in Government Camp before pulling the other side of the mountain. I don't recall Gas till about Warm Springs, which is about 50 miles from Government Camp.
            Don

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I feel this bike could do with a custom trunk style aux tank. Of course, for yours Don, you could partition half that foot locker hanging off the back of the bike and probably fit an extra five gallon can for long trips
              Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
              Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                I feel this bike could do with a custom trunk style aux tank. Of course, for yours Don, you could partition half that foot locker hanging off the back of the bike and probably fit an extra five gallon can for long trips
                I could... and probably still have room for 2 helmets and road sodas

I think I'll just stop and get gas as needed instead. I'm only good for about 40 to 60 miles @ a time anyways... more than that, my broken back tells my a$$ to send a message to my legs its OK to take a nap as their usage is not needed So every other stop I'll just try and find gas... or a bar... or both!
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Proper trip (and thirst quenching) planning is key brother!
                  Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                  Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                  X