No announcement yet.

New Project: Exhaust Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the specials sit just a little lower than the standards.
    TC has graciously allowed me to be the test bike for his project.
    Once he's figured out the design that works great for the standards then I'll gladly offer up my special for him to see if the same layout will work for them too.

I guess I've really got to get my SG up and running so I can leave the G over at his house for the test fittings.
    Time to get the parts wish list together.... (carb needles & seats, tires, battery, fluids, ...etc.) Hopefully the Mrs. will let me spend some money.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Exhaust options...

Topcat,

Food for thought: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=188398

And: http://www.stainlessheaders.com/index.aspx
      LuckyEddie
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
      1982 XV750J Virago
      1976 GL1000
      1978 GL1000 Supercharged
      1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the links. I had done some research regarding BENDING, but I don't have a fancy wood stove, or even a decent torch, and it just seemed like a lot of work! If this was just a 1 time thing, then I would probably take the time to learn to try to bend them. But this project is a test run to see how hard it can be done with off the shelf parts, some welding, and see what we can end up with being both functional and not to damn ugly! And this is also going to possibly be a cottage business for my unemployed B-I-L.

I did enjoy viewing the welding videos. I don't know if I need a different welding helmet but I'm not seeing my tig behave like they showed. I've got an autodarkening unit, but I also haven't practiced with it much, so I'm sure I'll get some with this project!

Question for Welder Don/dragon if he's reading this, or anyone that would know the following. My 3-1 Stick/Tig/Plasma machine has a warning about not using it in 90 % + humidity, and was wondering why. Is it because of possible internal damage to the unit due to extraneous arcing in the machine with the humidity so high, or more for a safety warning to protect me from extraneous arcing again due to the high humidity??

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OK TC I have read thru it all... without a torch making your own merge collector may be difficult. the pre-fabbed collectors would be the way to go. In order to get the merge collector right you will need to enter both head pipes into the merge on the same parallel... otherwise the exhaust pulses will counteract each other. when you look @ a good header you will see all the pipes enter the same and a larger piece of pipe has been stretched over the 2 or more head pipes and then welded internal and externally. if your pipe bender has a diameter stretcher you can take a piece of pipe and stretch an end of it to act as a collector. Then heat with a torch and form it around the head pipes. cut the collector off close to the head pipes and weld inside and out, the add pipe onto it as needed. by the time you invest the time into doing this you could probably just buy a pre-formed merge collector that will be the same every time. the only other way i could see to do it is to burn a hole in 1 pipe and merge the second pipe into it @ a very very VERY shallow angle. your lil Plazma cutter could burn the opening in 1 pipe and your just gonna have to cut the second pipe with a cut-off wheel or chop saw. the opening might end up 4 inches long... or put 2 together @ like a 30 deg angle the cut it flush. but like I said your pulses will fight each other this way.

Personally I hate exhaust work.... its tedious to say the least! my theory is someone already makes what I'm gonna need and I don't have to rack my brain for hours trying to make it myself. I use to make headers for my turbo "Rice Grinder" buddies... what a PITA! the problem was they always wanted big company quality looking stuff... I would end up making $5 an hour by the time I was done with it. I finally gave up and told them to go somewhere else.

If you have any questions my brain is free to pick at

but I would invest in a torch set up if you really plan on doing exhaust... it is a must for heating, bending, and stretching. If you didn't live so damn far away from me I'd make you a killer deal on a whole set up
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I would love to get a oxy/acetalyne torch but the cost of leasing/renting a Oct tank in outrageous! Stupid federal government rules....
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              I would love to get a oxy/acetalyne torch but the cost of leasing/renting a Oct tank in outrageous! Stupid federal government rules....
              ?????? you pay your lease/rent to the company you got it from... or you just buy your bottles outright. not sure what Fed regulation your talking about. The Fed has ABSOLUTELY NO control on how we conduct our business or who we sell to.
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Yeah, I didn't get that either. I bought my bottles years ago, I'm sure prices have gone up some but they still shouldn't be that bad. You don't need the large bottles either unless you use the torch all the time. I got the 'small' bottles (there was one size smaller than mine for hand-carried portable setups, two 'standard' sizes larger) and they were under $150 for both. For the occasional use I do, these will last me at least a year if not more.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

As far as I have ever found O2 tanks cant be owned (anymore) by you and me due to some stupid reg (never really looked into it). I have 2 old C sized O2 tanks and I emptied one out about a year ago at an accident scene and when I went to get it refilled I knew it needed to be hydroed (last one back in the late 70's). They said they couldnt do anything with it because I didnt have papers proving that I owned it and did so before the reg were implemented, and due to the DOT reg on O2 tanks they couldn't do anything with it. Several places have told me basically the same thing.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

As far as I have ever found O2 tanks cant be owned (anymore) by you and me due to some stupid reg (never really looked into it)...
                    That must be a state reg, as that's certainly not true here. In fact, the local welding suppliers won't rent the smaller bottles anymore; you have to buy them. I've never had any question me about ownership when exchanging bottles....
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well it is an issue in all three states I have lived in.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Some Progress

Hey Don,

Appreciate the info....however, you didn't actually answer my question regarding working in 90+ humidity with this Inverter Unit, but we didn't get that high yestarday, and clear today.

Okay, a few more photos for your entertainment.

I measured and found the depth from the bottom of the stud to the inside edge of the exhaust port is ~0.75", so I made a collar from the 1.75" OD pipe, and it was a nice interference fit onto the stretched 1.63" OD end of the 1.50 OD pipe. This is what the FLANGE will pull against. I'll be welding it in place later.

Here's my attempt at plasma cutting the 3/16" thick flange material!

I then got smarter and chucked it into my MILL, and was able to round out the hole, make the bolt holes/slots, and then used the hand grinder to trim up the outside so that it would fit onto the head in the space provided by the fins!

Here is the first elbow and flange mounted for check, looks okay.

I had gotten a couple of the different sized pipe expander tools from HF....broke the little one first by stripping out the NUT, then after replacing the nut, the expander ribs broke! Chinese JUNK! I had planned on stretching the 1.75" pipe out to 2.5" ID to fit the 2 1.5" header pipe sections into!

So...I played with the collector idea....found a 2.5" ID to 1.75" OD adapter piece at the local auto store.

Bent it in my vice, and was able to get the 2 ends of the straight header pipes to fit into it, with just a slight flattening between them!

Just side view, I've already cleaned off the labels and GLUE, and will be welding them together soon. I cut a couple of triangles to fit between the pipe sections, just a bit of welding to do now!

Still lots to do, but just wanted to show that I am working on this! Fun, Fun!

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well it is an issue in all three states I have lived in.
                          I sell and rent bottles every day... all day long. I've never heard of any regulation State or Federal keeping someone from owning and or purchasing any kind of Industrial gas... Hell I sell 180L Refrigerated Liquid Oxygen's to glass blowers and transport them to their houses. there are regulations on transporting high pressure cylinders but that's about it.

Sound like you live in a communist state....
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post

Question for Welder Don/dragon if he's reading this, or anyone that would know the following. My 3-1 Stick/Tig/Plasma machine has a warning about not using it in 90 % + humidity, and was wondering why. Is it because of possible internal damage to the unit due to extraneous arcing in the machine with the humidity so high, or more for a safety warning to protect me from extraneous arcing again due to the high humidity??

T.C.
                            OK TC I found ya

the humidity warning is due to the Plasma side of your do-all machine. Moister in the air is the mortal enemy of your Plas....
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hey TC
                              HI food for though The Black is coming Home Has A mac 4 in to 2 . Really would like A 4 1n 1 .The mac is to restive The Kerker makes Godzila talk it may be more money but worth it.

XSively
                              Bruce
                              Bruce Gerken
                              '79 XS1100SF
                              "The Black"
                              '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                              The Red Sled.
                              St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Hi T.C.

FWIW, the company I work for could laser cut exhaust flanges for you. It sounds like a run of 50 would be around $2.00 each, and 100 would be $1.75 or so each (plus shipping). Just some food for thought.

Eric

EDIT: I was just told that there is a one time $65 programming fee to set up the laser job. Still, if a person wanted a batch of these.........
                                Last edited by EricHa; 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM.
                                1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
                                Airbox w/K&N element
                                Jardine 4 into 1
                                145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                                1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                                1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Working...
                                X