New (to me) ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) ride

Found this on line tonight and owned it 2 hours later. Supposed to be a 79 but I've not confirmed. Runs good, has a pretty clean Kerker and short drag bars. Seems to run lean on the low end but gets pretty aggressive around 3000 rpm, quicker than my XJ. The luggage rack will be for sale and it has a removable sissy bar. Also came with another Kerker head pipe as the muffler was rotted out. Also has a Corbin touring seat which will be for sale shortly. Needs a few repairs, tach bounces, Speedo doesn't work owner thinks its the drive piece as a replacement speedo doesn't work either. Sounds like front brakes have been known to drag so no big deal, pull the calipers and clean em out. Learned a lot on the XJ over the last 2 months but then I'm not new to bikes.

1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

if the first 3 digits in the vin are 3h3 it is a 79 SF... looks to be in good shape. Good find
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Appears to be a nice 79 SF as the engine has the kick start shaft on the engine. Matching numbers? How much did you have to sacrifice for it? Got pictures of the seat? I might be interested in it...
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
        Appears to be a nice 79 SF as the engine has the kick start shaft on the engine. Matching numbers? How much did you have to sacrifice for it? Got pictures of the seat? I might be interested in it...
        didn't even look that close... that IS a pretty easy way to ID it
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Great looking find!
          Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
          Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
            if the first 3 digits in the vin are 3h3 it is a 79 SF... looks to be in good shape. Good find
            Yes the frame and motor match and begin with 3h3
            1970? Honda Z50... gone
            1974 Honda CB200... gone
            2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

I should have photos of the xtra parts tonight.
              1970? Honda Z50... gone
              1974 Honda CB200... gone
              2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Very nice! Does the paint have little gold flecks in it?...good factory paint and no dents are getting hard to find.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

I paid less under 1400 for it. The owner was pretty knowledgeable about what he had and the value of the xtra parts. He had several other bikes and you could tell he knew his bikes. The regular seat he just bought off ebay and is flawless. He was really good about telling me everything about the bike both good and bad and the maintenance history. The carbs were cleaned and boots replaced not long ago and it runs like it although I'm guess they were not re-jetted for the header. The bike shop is an old non-franchise shop that works on old bikes. It has a new sealed battery. The removable kick starter is on the bike.

I don't try to beat everyone down to nothing on price, I try to be reasonable but shave a few bucks off. I did that also on the XJ which turned out to be a good thing because when I went to transfer the title there was a problem and the PO was more than helpful in getting in straitened out even though he lived 300 miles away, could have easily ignored me. I'm somewhat of a believer in Karma and I've sold my share of used vehicles and tractors. I hate people that want your stuff for nothing.

I should have photos of the xtra parts tonight.
                  1970? Honda Z50... gone
                  1974 Honda CB200... gone
                  2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                    Very nice! Does the paint have little gold flecks in it?...good factory paint and no dents are getting hard to find.
                    Yes it does has a little metal flake, I didn't realize they had metal flake and was wondering but it didn't look like a re-paint
                    1970? Honda Z50... gone
                    1974 Honda CB200... gone
                    2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Definitely 79 based upon side cover emblem, seat, brake light placement, footpegs, solid rotors. Nice looking SF for sure! Good deal at that price!

I had a guy have me ride 10 miles to meet up to buy a speedo from me, we had agreed on $20, when I get there he complains about the tripometer reset being tricky, which I had told him about previously. Offers me $5 for it. Obviously I left without saying a word or delivering the goods.

Not sure about the Standards, but the Special models all had metal flake in the black paint. Gold for 79, Red for 80, and Blue for 81.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Very nice SF

I've got a speedo bottom end for you. Are you still going to Pecatonica on the 28th? Maybe I'll see you then.

The metalflake paint suggests original paint & the seat is for sure 79 vintage. Be careful, it's an obsession
                        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                          I've got a speedo bottom end for you. Are you still going to Pecatonica on the 28th? Maybe I'll see you then.

The metalflake paint suggests original paint & the seat is for sure 79 vintage. Be careful, it's an obsession
                          Still going to Pecatonica as I already paid for the WJ. Kind of stepping back a moment and re-evaluating bike strategy due to latest acquisition, it was a quick 2 hours from discovery to ownership, didn't figure it would last long. Probably still looking to do a handlebar conversion on the XJ but now I have an XS to look at. The XJ will retain the fairing for sure now that I have the XS for a non-fairing version so no longer hunting for XJ headlight and ears. I'm sure I'll get a chance to look a little closer this weekend.
                          Thanks
                          John
                          1970? Honda Z50... gone
                          1974 Honda CB200... gone
                          2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

I've named the '79 "Chewy" in honor of it's apparent previous caretaker Chewbacca. Everything that I've fixed looks like it was last worked on by Chewbacca or a Gorilla.

I pulled the drag bars 'cause I didn't like leaning forward. Have some standard bars on it now but in order for them not to kill my wrists I have to lower them quite a bit. I have a set of new shiny strait CB750 bars coming from Parts and more.

The tach was loose in the bucket due to a damaged gasket. I added some shims to the studs and was able to get it to stop rattling for now. The tach was bouncing bad but I cleaned all the connections in the headlight bucket today which resolved 95% of the tach bounce. Found some clear grease stuff in the tach connectors.

Throttle wouldn't return on its own. Found it interfering with the Vista Cruise which I pulled. Also lubed the snot out of the throttle cable and adjusted it proper.

Installed a 160 Speedo. I'll have to get used to seeing the needle over on the far left.

Front brakes were dragging/not working due to gunk behind the piston seals. Cleaned and working good now. The only way I could get the pistons out was to connect each caliper to the MC and them pump them out. They were really stuck tight. The replacement MC that Chewbacca installed has no brake light switch........

Took the longest test ride yet on the bike today, Actually went out of town with it and well it runs like a 1100 with stock jets and a Kerker......... I have a complete stock XJ Exhaust on hand that I'm going to hang on it next weekend and see how it responds and I didn't rob it from my XJ its an extra set.

Last edited by WSL91; 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM.
                            1970? Honda Z50... gone
                            1974 Honda CB200... gone
                            2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Working...
                            X