Vetter or Pacifico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but .......type II ? How can I tell if they are typeII?
    they should have labels
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

I mean by looking at them DuWayne. I almost got a set off ebay last night but I was just going by what they looked like.........kinda.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
        That is an 81 Venturer fairing. Supplied by YAMAHA though I believe designed by Vetter and maybe even made by him.
        IMHO the best looking of all the XS fairings but then I have one so i would think that
        Phil
        Not made by Craig Vetter, but made by Vetter corp under contract for Yamaha. I have verified this with Craig Vetter, but this was made after he sold the company, but I've had an email from the guy at Vetter Corp who did the engineering for the square headlight and turn signals. He doesn't include that fairing in the list on his website because it was done after he sold the company and he didn't have anything to do with it (some others are listed because he did the design work).
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          Vetter design, built by Pacifico. Uses the vetter windshield, but Yamaha hardware and electrical.
          Joab has THE fairing, IMHO. The Pacifico from the '78 had a different mount system, and was MUCH better for top speed AND gas mileage. The shield for it is hard to find, but available as of two years ago.
          I had thought that too, until I talked to both Craig Vetter AND the guy at Vetter corp who did the engineering. It was both designed and built by Vetter corp before it was bought by bell, during the period it was owned by Vetters lawyer who kinda ran it into the ground. That's why it uses the Vetter connector rather than the Pacifico one to connect to the bikes harness. It uses the same pockets and pocket covers as well.
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
            I don't think this is quite true. The Vetter site may have more information. However, after I bought my XJ in '99 I was looking for Vetter parts, and have a catalog from Pacifico from that time or 2000. They had bought the Vetter name and were producing parts for both brands, including an adapter kit that would allow one to put a Pacifico on a Vetter mount.

Pacifico did burn down shortly after that and decided not to rebuild and go back into production. I was on their e-mail list and seem to recall they sent out a message to that effect. This would have been in 2001 or 2002 I think.

In any event, Pacifico did own the Vetter Windjammer trademark and made replacment shelds, portholes, mounting kits, and continued to sell their own line of fairings at the same time up until 2001 or 2002.

I have to find that catalog and checks the dates again, but am sure it was 2000 as that is when I put the Windjammer IV and bags on the XJ, in time for the Eureka Springs rally in Missouri.

My impression is that Craig Vetter bought the name back after the fire in 2000 or 2001 and shortly after began selling parts / pieces back on his own web site:

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/onl...s/Details.html

While I don't think these events hadppened earlier than 2001, they could have happened a couple of years later, maybe as late as 2002 or 2003.
            While Pacifico may have owned the Vetter trademark at some point after bell sold off the assets after stopping making fairings. During the time in question, the Vetter trademark name (but NOT the symbol) was owned by Vetters lawyer who bought the company from Craig when he sold the company around 78. After that point somewhere it was sold to bell (of bell helmets) who made fairings for a while before getting out of the business. They may have sold the name to Pacifico after that point, or Pacifico may have just decided to use it without permission. I do know there is SOME sort of issue with Craig Vetter being able to sell windshields in the U.S. for Vetter fairings, something about a contractual issue, he can sell them outside the U.S. though. Some of the history of the Vetter stuff gets a little murky because so many companies copied them without permission, so sometimes it gets assumed that ones that are legitimate company products like the ones made for Yamaha are assumed to be knockoffs rather than contract products. If needed I can probably dig the emails from Craig Vetter and the guy that worked at Vetter Corp who made the changes for Yamaha off my old work computer, as I got to keep it when my employer folded and I still have all my old work emails which is where they emailed me. I'm one who's always been willing to go direct to the source, and the first time I heard the controversy I went direct to Craig Vetter and asked him about it. He wrote back and cc'd the guy who made the changes who also wrote me back as well.
            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Spade Fuse Box
            750 FD Mod
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Where have you been lately Cy? How you doing?
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Too bad they are not Pacifico lowers that would fit as I have two sets laying around here. Do not know what one set fits as there seems to be no markings, but the other set fits a Pacifico fairing I have here. Not sure it it still has stickers to identify it or not. I am dealing on a bike that has that very fairing and lowers on it but the owner and myself are a ways apart on value still so that may not happen or may just take a while.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  Where have you been lately Cy? How you doing?
                  Been dealing with brain issues from my accident and getting on the computer has/is really uncomfortable at times, even to the point that I can't work on the computer for more than a few minutes without feeling real discomfort. Haven't been getting much riding in between rain and other things either, and then Sunday night I went out to check the bike out as I have some Church stuff that I do early weekday mornings (just got off spring break) and was looking forward to riding the bike cause the weather just turned good after almost two months of off and on raining (not constant or anything but early morning stuff was too unpredictable) and found a big nail in the rear tire. I was going to deal with it today, but got busy with other things and didn't get to it so I'm hoping tomorrow does it (temp plug, tires only got about 1500 miles left in it, so I'll be ordering a new one anyways, the plug should last until I need to change it out), but I noticed the rear tire looked slightly low when I looked at it so I checked of course which is how I found the problem.

Feeling pretty good today so I got online, so that's why I'm on today.
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Hope things get better for you Cy!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

+1

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      That's a Vetter....
                      Definitely a vetter
                      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        Hope things get better for you Cy!
                        Me too. BTW, I finally got to that oil cooler I promised you a long time ago! Just gotta find a box to fit it in and then take it down and get it shipped off to you. I think everything is there except one piece of one of the AN fittings and the O-ring all of which are easily obtained still. I'll double check, I don't recall if I saw the center bolt when I pulled it out of the box, but I know I have it. If needed I'll dig some more for the center bolt if it's not there.
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                          after doing some research,the vetter lowers for a vetter fairing will fit any one of the fairings,except the vetter 5,correct? They said the vetter 5 is curved differently on the lowers.

When I took my Vetter IV off and installed a Vetter V I moved the lowers from the IV right to the V with no problem. Had to drill two small holes and install two of the rubber expanders.

Greg, you have seen the bike with both fairings and you know I cannot duplicate those lowers.
                          The Old Tamer
                          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Truth is

I believe lowers from any windjammer will fit any other windjammer. Now that i've said that, I'm sure there are a few exceptions, so, don't beat me up. A good eyeball will generally find any difference. I don't think it matters what make of bike they come from . I once had a WJ on an XS11 from a Honda GW1100. With the correct mount, of course.
                            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                              I believe lowers from any windjammer will fit any other windjammer. Now that i've said that, I'm sure there are a few exceptions, so, don't beat me up. A good eyeball will generally find any difference. I don't think it matters what make of bike they come from . I once had a WJ on an XS11 from a Honda GW1100. With the correct mount, of course.
                              My understanding on the lowers is that they come in lettered versions and those versions fit groups of bikes. So a given lower will likely fit several bikes, but won't move to just any bike without modification in all cases (but IIRC in most cases they can be modified to fit with a few exceptions). I believe there are something like 15 or so different lowers (might be a few less) out there, with the differences for the most part being how the main portion and the extension portion of the lower are adjusted in relation to each other, but IIRC those are glued together so modification isn't easy and BMW versions and I believe Moto Guzzi ones actually have cuts in them.
                              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              750 FD Mod
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                              X