Vetter or Pacifico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter or Pacifico?

This is a fairing I got last summer off of a 81 Venture that has the Yamaha badge on it. I thought because of the windshield style it was a Vetter but someone said it's a Pacifico.

Which is it?

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

If it is a Pacifico, it is different then mine...

Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

That's a Vetter....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks for the backup. Thought I was going crazy there for a minute......just a minute.

No offense Steve
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That is an 81 Venturer fairing. Supplied by YAMAHA though I believe designed by Vetter and maybe even made by him.
          IMHO the best looking of all the XS fairings but then I have one so i would think that
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Definitely vetter
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Vetter design, built by Pacifico. Uses the vetter windshield, but Yamaha hardware and electrical.
              Joab has THE fairing, IMHO. The Pacifico from the '78 had a different mount system, and was MUCH better for top speed AND gas mileage. The shield for it is hard to find, but available as of two years ago.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                Vetter design, built by Pacifico. Uses the vetter windshield, but Yamaha hardware and electrical.
                Joab has THE fairing, IMHO. The Pacifico from the '78 had a different mount system, and was MUCH better for top speed AND gas mileage. The shield for it is hard to find, but available as of two years ago.
                I love this fairing, and it handles well up to 95 mph at least. It is starting to sahow its age however, I need to get some cracks repaired, and the lowers are chipped, and missing edges.

Do you mean the shield was available up until two years ago, or as of two years ago, it is now available. Sorry, it is getting late, and I am sleep deprived
                Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Ok Ray. Vetter design but built by Pacifico?

Will Vetter lowers fit or Pacifico?
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

It isn't built by Pacifico. Pacifico factory burnt down in later '78 or early '79 and that is why all the faring started coming from vetter and that fairing is a vetter fairing and uses vetter lowers.

Although vetter was sold somewhere around '80 so it was made by vetter but nor necessarily Craig vetter, ask Cy he knows all there is to know about vetter. But it is a vetter fairing.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

after doing some research,the vetter lowers for a vetter fairing will fit any one of the fairings,except the vetter 5,correct? They said the vetter 5 is curved differently on the lowers.
                      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                      1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Windshields

I can make windshields for any of the fairings if you can provide me with an old one. Cracked or broken is OK if it's complete. I make them out of polycarbinate so they are bullet proof and don't break. Less than $100.
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen
                          It isn't built by Pacifico. Pacifico factory burnt down in later '78 or early '79 and that is why all the faring started coming from vetter and that fairing is a vetter fairing and uses vetter lowers.
                          I don't think this is quite true. The Vetter site may have more information. However, after I bought my XJ in '99 I was looking for Vetter parts, and have a catalog from Pacifico from that time or 2000. They had bought the Vetter name and were producing parts for both brands, including an adapter kit that would allow one to put a Pacifico on a Vetter mount.

Pacifico did burn down shortly after that and decided not to rebuild and go back into production. I was on their e-mail list and seem to recall they sent out a message to that effect. This would have been in 2001 or 2002 I think.

In any event, Pacifico did own the Vetter Windjammer trademark and made replacment shelds, portholes, mounting kits, and continued to sell their own line of fairings at the same time up until 2001 or 2002.

I have to find that catalog and checks the dates again, but am sure it was 2000 as that is when I put the Windjammer IV and bags on the XJ, in time for the Eureka Springs rally in Missouri.

My impression is that Craig Vetter bought the name back after the fire in 2000 or 2001 and shortly after began selling parts / pieces back on his own web site:

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/onl...s/Details.html

While I don't think these events hadppened earlier than 2001, they could have happened a couple of years later, maybe as late as 2002 or 2003.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

It is a Vetter Windjammer IV redesigned for Yamaha to use the rectangular headlight instead of round.
                            Uses type 2 Vetter lowers.
                            Current Stable:
                            1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                            1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                            1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                            1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                            WTB:
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                            1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance but .......type II ? How can I tell if they are typeII?
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X