No announcement yet.

Crash bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like having crash guards, but I just can't get into that larger style. If you decide the smaller two-point style, then I'm interested. I like the looks of the smaller 3-point style that the 78's came out with, but they do tend to break the engine cases if you lay it down. The two-point guards bend over against them and you grind on them while not breaking the cases.

Seems the smaller style would be a lot cheaper material-wise?
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Two point

The 2 point ones DO break the cases. I have a left side one with a hole in from a two point guard. Living in CA I do a lot of lane splitting and I like having my legs guarded.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

count me in

If they are under $100 - above that I would have to think about it harder before deciding....

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
          I was looking for possible interest before I went out to see different shops for quotes. I didn't want to do all the leg work if there was no interest.
          Well, I'll put it this way: at under $100, I'm interested. Over $100, I'm not. Something like this is going to be very dependent on price.
          XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Guys..... you need to think about possible prices. There's no way these are going to be built for $100 or less.. New ones are selling for $200 and up (mostly up) and that's with economies of scale, if you figure labor and material costs, a $150-250 price tag without plating would be more realistic. If you want chrome, that alone will be more than that. Custom work isn't cheap....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thank you Steve

Preliminary work says material would cost around $100 unless I make 'em outta conduit or pipe. I am interested in strength and functionallity along with looks. The idea is to save ones leg in a crash or tip over which won't happen unless the steel tube is really good stuff, and chrome is another thing. Cheap chrome is around $100 and I would really like to do the polish and nickel plating first so it will last.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Guys..... you need to think about possible prices. There's no way these are going to be built for $100 or less.. New ones are selling for $200 and up (mostly up) and that's with economies of scale, if you figure labor and material costs, a $150-250 price tag without plating would be more realistic. If you want chrome, that alone will be more than that. Custom work isn't cheap....
                He's looking for a gauge of interest, and he got it -- it may not be feasible at that price, but that's the price that I (and at least someone else) would be comfortable paying right now, sight unseen. Show a finished, readily salable product and what people are willing to pay may go up, who knows.
                Last edited by Danny Crawdad; 04-09-2012, 04:44 PM.
                XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Working...
                X