Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another tire choice? Not what you think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Mr Madmax-im, I know a bunch of people that have gone to car tires. Some skeptically, some not. And these people are experienced, aggressive, high mile riders. I don't recall hearing anything but good.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Steve, that last one looks a lot taller than a 130/90-16 style tire, and I don't like that it requires a TUBE, but it is a radial design.
      It's actually almost the same size as the 4.50H-17 as installed on the standards; same width, just a touch smaller in diameter. I suspect the picture is a 'generic' one of that tire model. I'll bet the reason for the 'tube type' is the old wheels this would be fitted on probably won't work tubeless.

If it were a $100 less I'd be sorely tempted....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

road fix inconvienience

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
        Like Mr Madmax-im, I know a bunch of people that have gone to car tires. Some skeptically, some not. And these people are experienced, aggressive, high mile riders. I don't recall hearing anything but good.
        If you should need to replace car tire on bike, plan on removing wheel yourself and taking it to the car tire dealer. Could be extra trouble, especially while traveling.
        It is a great big beautiful world out there
        Brent in GA
        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
          If you should need to replace car tire on bike, plan on removing wheel yourself and taking it to the car tire dealer. Could be extra trouble, especially while traveling.
          Definitely true Brent. Likely be mounting it yourself as I doubt any commercial tire shop whether bike or car will touch it. Besides, this would NOT be a good option with the XS wheel as it is NOT quite wide enough to give propper sidewall support. In fact, it apparently is not a good choice on our early ST's as the wheel doesn't have the width that the 96 and later ST's do. Something to consider for safety reasons.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Quick Change Rear Tire Change GL18

Here's how some guys change out the rear tire
            without having to remove the center rear fender section
            Only 5 lug nuts and off it comes to swap the new one on.
            I still do it the ole fashion way on the main stand...

Current Rides:
            02 GL1800 Wing
            79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
            81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Seems like there would be gas and oil leaking out everywhere.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Seems like there would be gas and oil leaking out everywhere.
                Gas tank is closed loop f.i. system. As long as you only lay it over to get the wheel off and on, not enough time to get oil coming out of it...Now if you lay it over and then scratch your head a while, have a couple of cold ones, go take a nap, eat lunch, and take alot longer than necessary, it might become a problem. But, if you have your break-over bar and torque wrench all ready to go, it doesn't take long to remove the 5 lug nuts, swap the wheels & tires and button it up and re-torque the lugs and set the bike back upright. As I mentioned, I still do it the ole fashion way as I have to take my time doing anything I do and I can't get in a rush. There's a large following of these guys who swear by this method and no one has ever mentioned leaking fluids involved in the process.
                Current Rides:
                02 GL1800 Wing
                79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
                81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Any bike without a centerstand would get laid over for a road flat. I have done it and seen others do it on KLR's and hardtail harleys.
                  Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

No vents in any of the drives or engine?
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Six bikes ago I bought a brand new 2007 Suzuki M109R. I thought it looked "cool" and it was a very large cruiser, weighing over 700 lbs. It was one of the first bikes I ever saw that rolled off the assembly line with a 240 rear tire. It was wide, and flat as a pancake. It wasn't a car tire but it sure looked like it was one. From the first ride to the last (when it was on it's way to be traded after only about 6 months) it handled like it was a tank. It rurned very slowly and when you got to the edge, it dropped like a rock and wanted to "fall" into turns. I decided it was just plain dangerous and sold it at a huge loss but I just couldn't ride it because it made me lose confidence in the performance of the bike. I've had every style of bike from Harley touring rigs like the Electraglide to outright sport bikes like my FZ1 and every damned one, except the 109R has had rounded tires and was pretty easy to lean and point and shoot except the 109R which was like a dog that had it's own intensons. I can appreciate every rider wanting to try, and use, whatever he/she wants, but my life depends on my ability to maneuver quickly and accurately and I just don't believe a flat car tire on my bikes will do it as well as a rounded tire.
                      Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

It sounds like the problem with that Suzuki was a bike problem, not the tire...

The one constant that is reported by the riders making the switch to car tires is the bike won't 'fall' into a corner; the effect is just the opposite. When turning, the rider has to 'make' the 'set' into the corner and maintain it as the bikes tendancy will be to want to pop back up straight. From everything I've seen/read, this isn't a big deal, just something the rider has to get used to.

I'd like to try this, but unfortunately for all XS owners (and my Sportsters too) the only equivilent size car tire (5.50 x 16) is one that was last commonly used in the 1940s, so the only choices out there any more are from 'vintage' tire suppliers at inflated prices and most with same-vintage technology...
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Better mileage

I used to run those Dunlops, but only got about 2500 miles on them. I tried the Michelin and get better than 5000 miles on those. You should try 'em TC.
                          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                          Drilled airbox
                          Tkat fork brace
                          Hardly mufflers
                          late model carbs
                          Newer style fuses
                          Oil pressure guage
                          Custom security system
                          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...