No announcement yet.

Making yourself understood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I went to Windows 7, I lost my spell check feature. Or, maybe it's because I switched from Firefox to Explorer. Either way, I'm on my own.

You have to love a motorcycle forum where SPELLING is a Hot Button Topic!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

[QUOTE=jetmechmarty;

You have to love a motorcycle forum where SPELLING is a Hot Button Topic![/QUOTE]

could not agree with you more !!you have to love it! ride safe ,,slow mo!
      The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
      moemcnally@hotmail.com
      i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
        Hmmm... I undersatnd what i write perfectly good My wife doesn't understand me but, hey, what else is new!?

My pet peeve is the way you Yanks have bsatardised the Queens English by lazily removing letters here and there 'cause you're too damn lazy to spell them properly

Case in point, words like colour, labour, and harbour, and others I can't think of right now
        'ats 'cause We'all gots ta' RIDE 'stead o' shoot da breeze, WORD!
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
          - - - My pet peeve is the way you Yanks have bsatardised the Queens English - - -
          Hi Brian,
          I realise that you deliberately misspelled "bastardised" because you mistakenly thought the list's obscenity censor would blank it but that's Queen's English, eh?
          GOTCHA!
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

French is like - - -

- - - a fine hardwood, suitable for making musical instruments.
            English is like plywood and holds the world together.
            English is a laminate. Mostly of Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Norman-French, with thinner layers from every country where the Union Jack once flew.
            Thing is, it's not just the words, each language group brought in it's own spelling rules with it.
            That's why English words are spelled all funny and spelling bees are so popular.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Alrighty, there, Doris...if you really can't stand the grammar here, go find yourself a poets' forum.

We be Bikers here. ARRRGH! BTW, that's Pirate Talk.
              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Brian,
                I realise that you deliberately misspelled "bastardised" because you mistakenly thought the list's obscenity censor would blank it but that's Queen's English, eh?
                GOTCHA!
                So, you're telling me that bastardised would have made it through censorship..?
                ** The auto word censor, but it can still be editted by a mod/admin when deemed inappropriate...remember, lots of kids read these with their parents/xsives! ** T.C.
                Well f*** me, it did too... learn sumptin new every day..
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Lonerider, youre braking hour chops!!

Hey Don,

CHILL dude, we don't like to call each other names.

My wife is one of those folks that are TYPING challenged...single finger technique and such!
                  I learned to touch type in HS on actual Typewriters, I did not learn "Keyboarding"! I'm also a nuts and bolts kind of guy, and so I actually got into learning the nuts and bolts of English....but I hate Literature!
                  I'm also a lazy S.O.B., I will use abbrev.'s and write run-on sentences with literally no regard for proper grammer 'cause I'm just trying to get my feeble thoughts down on paper/screen, but I do use punctuation to put the pauses in..so I can take a breath inbetween my lip proofreading!

Lonerider, to paraphrase a recent 4g advert, this post is/was so 4 months ago, see this thread for some word fun!
                  http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=break+brake

So...yes, it can help folks to use proper spelling/grammar and terminology when they are describing their problems, but many are both new to these bikes as well as the technospeak involved, as well as possibly fairly new to even just mechanics and electronics/electrical stuff as well, so they can have difficulty in getting their problem across. Also, because they are newbies, they can also be a bit timid or gunshy about posting "in public" in general, perhaps they got their heads chewed off on other forums where the gurus and such were not so polite as we try to be!?!?

Regrettably, aside from possibly giving us a little headache when trying to figure out what they said, there can also be a delay in getting them the help they needed because we had to ask them to clarify what they said, request more specific descriptions and such. So...yes, the typos and gramatical errors can be annoying, but I think most of us can look past that and realize that there is a new Xsive behind the post that is in need of our assistance, and that we will still endeavor to assist them to the best of our abilities, grammatical errors not withstanding!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I was in a speed reading accident..... I hit a bookmark. (Steven Wright)

That's all it amounts to. Grammatical errors slow the reader down. We'll get over it....maybe.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

The fourum is shure in a term oil over bad speling.

Comment

Huh?

I can't believe I just read all that c**p about spelling. What's happening to me?
                        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                          I can't believe I just read all that c**p about spelling. What's happening to me?
                          If it's dark outside, you really shouldn't be riding anyway. My excuse is that I'm sitting in a hotel room far from home. What's your's?
                          Last edited by jetmechmarty; 03-23-2012, 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

If bad spelling was a problem to me, I would have quit this forum a long time ago. Many members do not know or care what the proper spelling is. It does drive me crazy when someone posts the words "My breaks have failed" but I know what they mean.
                            Seems like such a little deal to some but damn it can be very frustrating when a subject is so misspelled that no one can read it.
                            The one thing that comes to mind is that as on ebay...the spelling could make or break a deal. If a seller spells it wrong it could be a bonus day for you or a very bad day . (eg is a used sx11 carb boot)
                            I wish this site had a spell check available for us miscreants but it does not.
                            Long story short is that while I may not understand your spelling I can figure out what you are saying so go for it.
                            After visiting Arkansas and seeing "CONGRADULATIONS" posted on a minivan window (during grad ceremonies) I understand the differences.
                            I try best as I can as I am sure others do, to spell or say whatever I am trying to say to the best of my abilities.
                            So have fun with your spelling and if I do not repl,y then it is a possibility that I have no clue as to what you are talking about.
                            Last edited by Rasputin; 03-23-2012, 08:15 PM.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
                              I've been on numerous motorcycle forums since about 2005 or so and one of the things that seems to get worse and worse, since then, is the spelling and punctuation used on these forums while trying to define or explain a situation. I'm not trying to suggest that everyone has to be perfect or an English scholar but it is helpful to those who try to help if they can understand what is being asked. For instance, everyone should know the difference between to, too, and two but I can see some don't. Also, the words there, their, and they're and so misused it's not even funny any more. These are two of my pet peeves but they make it very hard sometimes to understand what is being asked. A little punctuation is also helpful, especially when trying to figure out if a person is making a statemet or asking a question. If the author uses the "preview" function and then does his/her best to corect errors, the answers will come quicker.
                              You misspelled "correct" and "statement"
                              1980 xs1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by ecoviper9 View Post
                                You misspelled "correct" and "statement"
                                I don't care WHO you are. That, there is funny!
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X