Making yourself understood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making yourself understood

I've been on numerous motorcycle forums since about 2005 or so and one of the things that seems to get worse and worse, since then, is the spelling and punctuation used on these forums while trying to define or explain a situation. I'm not trying to suggest that everyone has to be perfect or an English scholar but it is helpful to those who try to help if they can understand what is being asked. For instance, everyone should know the difference between to, too, and two but I can see some don't. Also, the words there, their, and they're and so misused it's not even funny any more. These are two of my pet peeves but they make it very hard sometimes to understand what is being asked. A little punctuation is also helpful, especially when trying to figure out if a person is making a statemet or asking a question. If the author uses the "preview" function and then does his/her best to corect errors, the answers will come quicker.
    Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

I do agree that many people tend to be very lazy when it comes to digital communications. I have even seen corporate e-mail memos sent out by CEOs that fall into this category. Unfortunately, I think most "mistakes" are actually due to poor language skills. Of course, since this is an international forum, there are those for whom English is not their primary language, and that is perfectly understandable. However, for those of us who were raised speaking and writing English, it seems that typing correctly should be second-nature. Typos are normal (like the one in the OP above), but blatant mis-use of words and a lack of puncuation just doesn't make sense IMO.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Its just a motorcycle forum for gods sake. Unless you're, your, you are anal I dont really see what difference it makes. Except for long paragraphs. They are difficult to read.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Hoo cairs...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yeh, wot lebm sed,
          his scramble-worded sentence demonstrates that although western languages are written in a phonetic alphabet the human mind uses those phonetically assembled words as pictographs instead.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I feel we would all benefit by speaking like Yoda for a day.
            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
              I've been on numerous motorcycle forums since about 2005 or so and one of the things that seems to get worse and worse, since then, is the spelling and punctuation used on these forums while trying to define or explain a situation. I'm not trying to suggest that everyone has to be perfect or an English scholar but it is helpful to those who try to help if they can understand what is being asked. For instance, everyone should know the difference between to, too, and two but I can see some don't. Also, the words there, their, and they're and so misused it's not even funny any more. These are two of my pet peeves but they make it very hard sometimes to understand what is being asked. A little punctuation is also helpful, especially when trying to figure out if a person is making a statemet or asking a question. If the author uses the "preview" function and then does his/her best to corect errors, the answers will come quicker.
              "C o r r e c t" is the correct way to spell correct.
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

hmmmm....

I don't remember seeing in the forum rules when I signed up here that spelling, grammar, and CORRECT use of punctuation was a must. Maybe I'll go back and read them again

I understand what your "trying" to say... But I also feel maybe your looking down your nose @ others who may "actually" have issues with spelling?!

I myself am dyslexic and put letters in wrong order some times, or mix up spelling of words. For the most part I catch them upon proof reading. But sometime I don't full scan my post before hitting the send button.

So what I'm getting @ is sometimes it happens. Sometimes out of lazyness, but also remember there are people who struggle for real. I've got lots of "Pet-peeves" That get triggered by others on the forum. I'm just not a big enough A$$ to point my finger @ others and tell them the suck, like you just did!

Not everyone is perfect like you my friend, have a little understanding
                Last edited by ddragon63; 03-22-2012, 10:16 PM. Reason: see caught one
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I agree with everything that's been said.We're not all perfect and have particular flaws. Spelling and punctuation are a peeve of mine (especially the word "moot"). Some members have such atrocious language skills that I do not read their posts because I cannot figure out what they are saying/asking. I applaud those who work through that to help them with their problem. If people dissed me for my lack of bike knowledge I would not talk to anyone. If it bothers you that much, move on.
                  "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by XJkid View Post
                    I agree with everything that's been said.We're not all perfect and have particular flaws. Spelling and punctuation are a peeve of mine (especially the word "moot"). Some members have such atrocious language skills that I do not read their posts because I cannot figure out what they are saying/asking. I applaud those who work through that to help them with their problem. If people dissed me for my lack of bike knowledge I would not talk to anyone. If it bothers you that much, move on.
                    you point is not MOOT sir
                    Don
                    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hmmm... I undersatnd what i write perfectly good My wife doesn't understand me but, hey, what else is new!?

My pet peeve is the way you Yanks have bsatardised the Queens English by lazily removing letters here and there 'cause you're too damn lazy to spell them properly

Case in point, words like colour, labour, and harbour, and others I can't think of right now
                      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                        ...and others I can't think of right now
                        Tyre, boot, wing, mudguard....
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                          Hmmm... I undersatnd what i write perfectly good My wife doesn't understand me but, hey, what else is new!?

My pet peeve is the way you Yanks have bsatardised the Queens English by lazily removing letters here and there 'cause you're too damn lazy to spell them properly

Case in point, words like colour, labour, and harbour, and others I can't think of right now

We find it our duty to take things that belong to others and making them our own....
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Twas ever thus

200 BC:- writing things down is for public monuments, if you can't remember a simple 56 verse ode your brain will turn to mush.
                            1439 AD:- Dammit Gutenberg, you have just destroyed the art of calligraphy.
                            1492 AD:- if you can't navigate using proper Roman numbers we'll never get to China.
                            These days it's texting:- If you can't say it in 150 caps it's too complicated.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Not only did you misspell "correct" but you also wrote "statemet" instead of "statement".

My daddy fought to free us from the evil Grammar Nazis back in WW2. What has happened to America?

Maybe we should just go ride our motorsickles!

Comment

Working...
                              X