Only say it if you mean it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only say it if you mean it

I have replied to several posts from new list members who have said they just got an XS/XJ1100 as their first bike.
    After telling them "take a riders course before you fall off and die" most reply saying they have been riding for years but this is the first bike they've actually owned.
    Which is not what they said.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

I dunno.. Semantically speaking, that IS what they said. If they have ridden before, but never owned a bike, then they never had a bike they could call "theirs". If the XS is the first bike they actually owned, then it would technically be their "first bike".
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Correct

Semantically you are correct, however, I would argue how much riding experience do you actually have if all your riding time has been on somebody elses bike? Still might not be a bad idea to take a safety course. I have been riding for about 25 of the last 35 years and sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a course just to make sure I haven't developed any bad habits!
      1979 F
      Mac 4-2 Exhaust
      T-Kat Fork Brace
      Spade Fuse Box Mod
      Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      140.0 Main Jets
      45.0 Pilot Jets
      266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Not sure how it works in other areas, but here in Cincinnati, we have a career college that offers the MSF basic rider course for $25. You use their motorcycles, and by passing the course you do not have to take the riding portion of the endorsement test. At that rate, how could you NOT take the course? So I would recommend it to any one.

I also agree that if you have only ridden some one elses bike, you have not had years of experience. If you rode some one elses bike enough to count as your years of experience, you owe some one some payments.

As to Fred's point, I agree with Fred, not that I feel it necessary to chastize anyone over it. Now if the original writer became upset that it was suggested they should take such a course, well, that to would seem undeserved. But still, say what you mean and mean what you say. Disecting statements into the semantics at that level should never be needed outside a courtroom or my living room with my 15 yo son.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

If it was $25 I would take it every spring! Here the riding course is about $250 more than I can afford on a yearly basis but still recommended for beginner riders or someone who has not ridden in several years.
          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Dang! $25 bucks! Here in Milwaukee they are somewhere around $300. I payed $130 for it when I took it in MN a few years back.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

$25 Really!

Guess we are very lucky. Of course, they register online for the spring and early summer course in March I think, and they fill up in about 15 minutes. Same thing for the later sessions in July. Only way I got in for mine was to show up and they had three openings where people were no shows. They gave the twenty people who walked in raffle tickets, luckily they pulled my number.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

MSF will save your life, especially if you have limited experience. If you've learned on your own or from a friend, you have a bad habit somewhere. That said, it's time for me to save up for Team Oregon's Advanced Rider course. I'd like to be one when I grow up.
                1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Well to each their own, we are adults. I wouldnt mind taking an advanced rider course if it didnt cost so much. Hell I was a certified motorcycle mechanic at 17, but never used it, wouldnt call myself one now for sure.

Just out of curiosity fred, have you taken a refresher course? Do they even have one for sidecars?
                  Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
                    - - - Just out of curiosity fred, have you taken a refresher course? Do they even have one for sidecars?
                    Hi Elevener,
                    no, I never have. After 55 years riding experience my bad habits are so ingrained I doubt a course could fix them. The closest sidecar course is somewhere in the western USA, more than 1,000 miles from here and although it's well worth the money it's appallingly expensive.
                    BTW, I bought both my sons the Saskatchewan Rider's course for their 16th birthdays. Their riding skills are far better than mine ever were.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

i just bought my first bike and havent been riding for years and taking a riders course is on the top of my list after i get her running and gone thru.. im glad that you guys look out for us noobies..
                      1980 xs1100 Standard

Comment

Nah, just do what most people do. Jump on, fire it up, crank the throttle wide open and HANG ON. If your not dead in the first 15 minutes you'll be fine.....

Hmmmmm.. I think we need a "tounge in cheek" smiley.

Disclaimer. Take no notice of the old Kiwi in the corner. He's not suffering from insanity, He's thoroughly enjoying every minute of his teenager induced madness and should NOT be taken seriously on anything other than Electrical matters.
                        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                          should NOT be taken seriously on anything other than Electrical matters.
                          Come on Brian...even that could be debatable....

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

+1 for the riders course. I smashed up my first bike twice before I took the course. I had no excuse not to take it, it is free to Military. Then I learned just what the hell counter steering is, and have been enjoying riding ever since! Sadly the Slider nickname never went away...
                            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Ya know Fred, ya can't fix stupid

I meet guys like that often, they go around proving Darwin's theories. Eventually they'll all go the way of the Dodo bird while the rest of us watch and wonder.
                              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
                              X