the dreaded PO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    You do have to admit, taking a wire you knew was hot and tossing it aside without covering the end or something, that was not the fault of the PO
    (jaws theme playing in the background)
    The sharks are circling now. Not only did you fall for what the PO did, but failed to protect yourself from it and then gave everybody here the chance to point and laugh (of course that's only possible because the bike didn't burn up and you didn't get hurt) (although some of these guys might have pointed and laughed anyways)
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
      (jaws theme playing in the background)
      The sharks are circling now. Not only did you fall for what the PO did, but failed to protect yourself from it and then gave everybody here the chance to point and laugh (of course that's only possible because the bike didn't burn up and you didn't get hurt) (although some of these guys might have pointed and laughed anyways)
      Doubtful CY............remember the one that leaked fuel into airbox while parked on the front porch and when started backfired and took the front of house or better in flames?
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Doubtful CY............remember the one that leaked fuel into airbox while parked on the front porch and when started backfired and took the front of house or better in flames?
        Yep, but that wasn't from the person doing something stupid. And notice that I put an eye roll with that last, as in it was a sarcastic remark in jest. Sorry, just looked, I thought I did an eye roll but it was a shocked smilie. It was meant in jest, as nobody on here, not even on .org would point and laugh at someone getting hurt. Now someone setting their tank on fire out of stupidity and running across the yard with the tank in their hands to get it away from the other bikes and the garage/house and not getting hurt? Yes, they would point and laugh while they grabbed the fire extinguisher to put it out. Actually I think I recall there being an event that happened like that at some point in the past.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yep, I'm stupid. More lazy than stupid but stupid fits. I rarely disconect the battery. Might in the future though...
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Naaahh. that's ok, Duwayne, keep it up and the battery will die on it's own...no more worries.

Feelin the luv?

You can borrow my homo hammer anytime to hit yourself on the head with.

Inside joke fellas
            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Army truck

While servicing the batteries on my truck in the Army, wrench was in contact with my ring on my finger when ring contacted the battery box. Bang/flash and ring was gone leaving a nasty burn where the ring was. Captain decided I needed 2 weeks extra duty for being so stupid.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Now here's stupid. I'm putting the new fairing on, checking wires, headlights not lit so i start the bike and it's running rough as chit..... effin gas tanks off, i was running out of gas...

go ahead and laugh... It's Ok
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

I was working on a 36 volt floor scrubbed is time a few years back, I was finishing putting the third battery in and hit the wrench to the frame and grounded out the system and had all three batteries explode. Very loud boom. After cleaning battery acid off everything o them went and bought another new set of batteries.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                    Now here's stupid. I'm putting the new fairing on, checking wires, headlights not lit so i start the bike and it's running rough as chit..... effin gas tanks off, i was running out of gas...
                    Been there, done that...
                    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Glad your alright (reminder to self,never tell these guys when you do something stupid) Na,who am I kidding ,we all do dumb crap.
                      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                      1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Nothings safe

Unlucky things happen to the best os us and thank you for sharing. I know you are taking a real razzing about this but we all do things without thinking. Just keep in mind that by sharring this story you are probably saving someone here from their next mistake. In a moment it can go so bad.

As for disconecting a battery that is not always safe.

I was working on a shorted light in my wifes car one hot summer day. I went arround to the front and leaned over putting my forearm accross the battery caps while I took the cables off the back. On the first turn of the wrench on the hot side the side post broke loose inside the battery and arced. It exploded throwing me back in the driveway flinging battery parts up threw the hood.
                        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends
                        Rear trunk add-on
                        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Hey DuWayne,

Glad you and bike are OKAY! Thread hijack alert.

I was working on my car, had wrist watch on, can't recall exactly what I was working on, but was reaching in across the engine and ALT, somehow a hot wire was loose and exposed, hit it with my wrist watch and sweaty arm, arced and burned my wrist on the inside. The problem was the burn was so fast and strong and deep that it singed the skin nerves so that I didn't actually feel anything! Pulled my arm back, looked at it, didn't see anything abnormal....because the burn was UNDER the wristwatch band, so I reached in again, and again hit the wire and burned myself again! I got a stronger burn this time and felt it, and then FOUND the burn when I saw the arc burn on the watch band and then pulled the watch off!

I tried to treat it with just topical antibiotic and dressing/bandaid, but it was a deeper 3rd degree burn than I realized, and I started to get cellulitis a few days later as the little red streak started running up my arm from my wrist! Had to see the doctor, get some special BURN treatment antibiotic cream and proper dressings, took a few weeks for it to heal up! Have a nice PAIR of scars on my wrist just beyond the watch band area!

But I still work on my car at times without disconnecting the battery when I'm NOT working on anything electrical! I learned a little from my mistake!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                          X