the dreaded PO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the dreaded PO

You know, sometimes we go to do something with our bike and find something very wrong with a repair or modification and we disparage the P
    My turn to rant; I was changing out fairings on one of my "f"s today and when I was taking the wiring off the radio, I verified the 14 gauge red was always hot, not just when the ignition was on and tosses it over the handle bar so it was out of the way. It made contact with the engine case and immediately smoked. And it kept on smoking. I grabbed it burnt my fingers and then grabbed the handle of a screwdriver and got it off the case. It took maybe 5 seconds.
    The entire garage filled with smoke and I thought the place was going up. The PO had wired it directly to the stud the positive battery cable goes to. No effing fuse!!!!! The insulation burned of entire wire end to end before I could knock it off the engine case…. Do you know how far it is from that stud to the freaking auxiliary fuse??? It’s like 3 inches…. WTF????
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

First thing you ALWAYS do when repairing anything, especially ELECTRICAL STUFF is disconnect the battery Duwayne.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      First thing you ALWAYS do when repairing anything, especially ELECTRICAL STUFF is disconnect the battery Duwayne.
      Evidently not huh Greg?
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

LOL... Might be something to consider in the future When throwing "always hot" wires around.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          I verified the 14 gauge red was always hot, not just when the ignition was on and tosses it over the handle bar so it was out of the way.
          SO you knew it was hot??? Ummmm .
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Evidently not huh Greg?
            First lesson in auto shop in high school was to disconnect the battery first thing before working on anything electrical on the vehicle. I've always assumed that applied to motocycles as well, and then just like you just gone ahead and ignored it. However, I treat every wire as if it's HOT and hooked directly to the positive terminal of the battery, and if I actually DO need to work on things where I might actually short something I DO disconnect the battery, just not every time (yes, I know I'm bad, and I have the knowledge, training and experience to know better, so I have NO excuse when I fry something ).
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              just not every time (yes, I know I'm bad, and I have the knowledge, training and experience to know better, so I have NO excuse when I fry something ).
              Heh heh......yeah, but it's fun to give someone else a hard time about it aint it?
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Ouch! . . . how much is copper bringing a pound right now?
                1979 F
                Mac 4-2 Exhaust
                T-Kat Fork Brace
                Spade Fuse Box Mod
                Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                140.0 Main Jets
                45.0 Pilot Jets
                266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Yep, pretty much most of the factory smoke has been used up on that one...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You let the smoke out and it's all over.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I understand your frustration with the PO not fusing the power, I am still shocked and amazed at the fact the PO of Banshee had literally twisted the main fuse wires together without even a wire nut or electrical tape over them. Fusing that wire would have been so easy in so many ways.

You do have to admit, taking a wire you knew was hot and tossing it aside without covering the end or something, that was not the fault of the PO
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Hi Duwayne,
                        I am glad you did not get hurt and the bike did not burn to the ground.... as has happened to others.
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                          Hi Duwayne,
                          I am glad you did not get hurt and the bike did not burn to the ground.... as has happened to others.
                          Phil
                          Razzkill.....
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Duwayne.
                            80 SG
                            81 SH in parts
                            99 ST1100
                            91 ST1100

Comment

ahhhh yes! I learned this one the hard way too... I was tightening the alternator belt on my first hot rod as a teenager and didn't unplug the battery. no cover on the hot plug on the back of the alternator, 9/16 craftsman wrench on bolt attached to block, other end to 12v stud on 1 wire alternator, wire went straight to a 800u optima.... I'm sure you all can imagine what happened next! I still have the wrench as a reminder, its got a hell of an arch gouge in it
                              Don
                              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X