New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

Been on here for awhile I've just been lurking and finding ideas for my project. Here she is all 300 dollars of her. The plan is a cafe racer. After I go through all the wiring and rip off what I don't want or need. Let me know what y'all think.

Comment

Hi John and welcome,
      there's those that started with worse, eh?
      And you are just what the list needs:- "Bro with machine shop."
      What price on brake caliper pistons, seeing as the barstock is already in the lathe?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sorry forgot to put what's going on in the pictures.
        The first one is what the rotors lookethd like right after I drilled them on the mill and dividing head.
        The second is what it looked like when I first bought it.
        The next one os me cutting new brake caliper pistons on the lathe.
        Then it's the rotors on the bike and last but not least what she looks like now.

Comment

Well the stock isn't on the lathe anymore I had to machine some velocity stacks. I haven't really thought about selling any I just needed a set and had the material and time. I can get back with you on that though.

Comment

Careful with the wiring. There really is not much that can be removed because of all the bramches and whatnot.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey

Welcome John, glad to see another xshead in Pa.
              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
              79 DT 100

Comment

I noticed

The new front tire is not mounted correctly. The little white dot on the sidewall is supposed to be mounted next to the valvestem. That makes it easier to balance as that is the lightest part of the tire so the valvestem can compensate for the lighter part of the tire.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                  The new front tire is not mounted correctly. The little white dot on the sidewall is supposed to be mounted next to the valvestem. That makes it easier to balance as that is the lightest part of the tire so the valvestem can compensate for the lighter part of the tire.
                  That in theory is true....but I have found that dot to be WAY off on several occasions.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    That in theory is true....but I have found that dot to be WAY off on several occasions.
                    Yes, putting the dot at the valve stem assumes that the wheel is balanced and the heavy spot will be at the valve stem, which ain't necessarily true. I've gotten into the habit of checking the wheel for balance minus the tire and marking the heavy spot; they're not always the same place....
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

How

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      How did you "find" that dot to be way off? Do you have a precision balancing machine? I have a friend that owns a industrial balance shop and I have done work there while he was in the hospital. His machines will balance parts from 1/2 lb to 6000 lb to less than one gram. I know for sure that the balance machines in the tire shops are not very reliable and they don't do true dynamic balancing either. There is no way to calibrate them either. Next time you have a tire mounted and balanced, after the balance have the guy take it off, rotate it 180 degrees and run it again and I bet it will show that it needs balancing again. That tells you the balance machine is wrong.

So tell me how you think you found that dot to be way off....
                      Last edited by planedick; 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM.
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                        How did you "find" that dot to be way off? Do you have a precision balancing machine? I have a friend that owns a industrial balance shop and I have done work there while he was in the hospital. His machines will balance parts from 1/2 lb to 6000 lb to less than one gram. I know for sure that the balance machines in the tire shops are not very reliable and they don't do true dynamic balancing either. There is no way to calibrate them either. Next time you have a tire mounted and balanced, after the balance have the guy take it off, rotate it 180 degrees and run it again and I bet it will show that it needs balancing again. That tells you the balance machine is wrong.

So tell me how you think you found that dot to be way off....
                        Well, as Steve more elaborated on, it is more in relation to the entire assembly. Just because you put the dot at the "supposed" heavy point does not mean that that is truly the heavy spot of the rim, especially on these rough cast XS rims.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

JohnRay, got change for the candy machine?
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ok kids

Play nice
                            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

I think it's only like an inch or two off the valve stem but I'll check tomorrow. But it'll probably be taken off a few more times when I powder coat the rims again the rear one is scuffed in a few spots. I just wanted to get it back on it's own tires again for mock up. But I did get some more work done on it today. I used the old highway bars to clean up. I know some of you night not approve of me cutting and welding a perfectly good set but it was cheap, they were banged up really bad and I didn't have to run to the metal shop. Anyways this is about what it's going to look like.

Oh and to answer your question about the vending machine I never have any change for that thing. Actually only the bottom row is candy the rest is cut off wheels flapper disc and the sort. Sorry not sure if I mentioned this but I go to school at the hot rod institute and am in motorcycle fabrication class right now. I decided I would use my g.i. bill there

Comment

Working...
                              X