Shes dead, Jim - swansong to my XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAAAAAHHH

Yes, very nice I love the look and sound of the inline four engine and that powerhouse inserted into the Standards style, IMHO is a great foundation for a touring cruiser. The stock Specials looks don't really strike a chord with me although there are some nice ones on the site especially xslovers modified bikes. Now the XJ's tank flowing into the stepped saddle gives it that sex appeal and the upswept exhaust, swirlled wheels and slotted disc rotors are icing on the cake which is all ingeneously constructed around one of the most durable, easily maintained, time tested engines in motorcycling to date. I know the stance of my XJ 750 Mid Max makes it an absolute thrill at 7k rpm and someday I'll get that experience on its "Big Brother"

I'm glad to see it's not going under the knife. Way to go Steve!!!
    Last edited by Schming; 02-07-2012, 12:14 PM. Reason: Adding a comment
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

HAHA! Good luck Steve!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment....
          Well you do pretty good work so I am sure it will be worth it in the end!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

XJ's are the Cat's Meeeeooooowww!!!

In TOTAL agreement on the looks of the XJ vs the XS, I've owned 5 XS's and 2 XJ's and with being 6'2" the XJ is a tad too low, not much, but just enough to put my back into a bind whereas the XS being taller and appearing to be longer is just a more natural fit and feel for my ole worn-out body. We all get to a point where "comfort" wins over "looks" everytime. Heck, if I were self concious about looks, I'd never be able to leave the house during daylight (thank God for brown paper bags!!! )
            But as far as looks go the XJ is definetely the winner
            I sure wish'd I was only a few miles from the seller and not 2500, I'd be all over that in the time it takes a V-Max to cover the 1/4 mile...

Originally posted by Schming View Post
            WAAAAAHHH

Yes, very nice I love the look and sound of the inline four engine and that powerhouse inserted into the Standards style, IMHO is a great foundation for a touring cruiser. The stock Specials looks don't really strike a chord with me although there are some nice ones on the site especially xslovers modified bikes. Now the XJ's tank flowing into the stepped saddle gives it that sex appeal and the upswept exhaust, swirlled wheels and slotted disc rotors are icing on the cake which is all ingeneously constructed around one of the most durable, easily maintained, time tested engines in motorcycling to date. I know the stance of my XJ 750 Mid Max makes it an absolute thrill at 7k rpm and someday I'll get that experience on its "Big Brother"

I'm glad to see it's not going under the knife. Way to go Steve!!!
            Current Rides:
            02 GL1800 Wing
            79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
            81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

It's Home!

Went and picked the bike up today; as per usual with a project bike, it's 'good news, bad news'. But not too much bad news, at least as far as the cosmetics are concerned. A few pics...

[IMG][/IMG]

I was hoping to save the paint and not do a total cosmetic overhaul, but there's about a silver-dollar-sized spot where the top coat is missing... so it looks like new paint is on the menu. I'll need a couple of turn signals too as two are pretty skinned up from a few 'oops'. There's a few other damaged bits, but I think I can pull those out of 'stock'...

[IMG][/IMG]

Needs a new seat cover, but the exhaust system is pretty nice; a few scrapes on the mufflers, but otherwise it looks real solid (except for a broken pipe...more later). I am going to need a couple of maybe-hard-to-find parts; the top half of the sissy bar is missing (the PO said it broke off ), one of the rear shock boots is ripped, the ignition tumbler is MIA, and the right front caliper bracket has a chunk missing (). The last I can probably have fixed with some TIG weld, the others I'll have to come up with or substitute something.

[IMG][/IMG]

The PO wasn't kidding when he said the #2 pipe broke off.... The collector is OK, so I just need another pipe... Hopefully this exhaust valve didn't get burned.

Of course, there's some mechanical issues (brakes, possible 2nd gear fix, the usual carbs/electrical; I'll be downloading the XJ manual from C'bug shortly ) but the basic bike looks pretty decent. The next decision I have to make is do I do this one first (getting it done in time for the spring selling season), or keep going on my modded '78 which I finally got to....

But it ain't going to end up as parts....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...