Shes dead, Jim - swansong to my XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shes dead, Jim - swansong to my XJ1100

Never talk about buying another car or motorcycle when your rig can hear you..

I had been plotting to buy another motorcycle this year, and have one picked out, I had been talking about it for the last few days..

Yesterday my bike started running weird.. like an ignition or spark issue.. this morning she wouldn't start at all until I compression started her down a steep hill
    ... on the way to work I have another issue, breaks locked up on the freeway, disks turning blue and smoking but I had to keep going, something wrong with the hydraulic bleeder valve...
    leave for work and she wont start again, had to push it quite a ways to find a hill, this is a heavy bike...

one the way home, first gear starts goin' out, stripping teeth, first gear is toast.

about half way across the bridge one of my header pipes "blows clean off.". now Im spitting big blue flames and sound like a heavy machine gun on the freeway..
    had the sense to pull over when i had the chance and pull the plug-wire from cylinder 2 so it wouldn't be so terrifying demongod of blue thunder rises from the pit of hell on the freeway
    epic journey - commuter traffic- thundering blue flames - only one front break.

I BARELY get her home, post her for parts on Craigslist for $250

these things usually last over 100k miles, she only made it to 49k

What is your location?
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Hey R.S.,

It's not dead, but in need of some major surgery that many folks have done, the Dremel transmission gear fix. The header pipe....probably lost the nut off the flange, or the stud came loose??? IF the Header pipe is gone, then yep, need new pipe, but if just came loose=fixable. Brakes...spooge hole may be clogged, but also calipers may just need broken down, cleaned and reassembled. My front calipers are sticking/freezing on my bike...~10 years after I did my rebuild in 2000, just been too laz..er busy to get around to tearing them down!

Sounds like you may be looking for a more turnkey type machine anyways, so a new(er) bike may be the right thing for you?? Someone will get a good FIXABLE XJ for fairly cheap!! Your choice.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

naw..

I restored her bottom to top 45k ago, she broke my heart. I'm in west Seattle

Comment

Header snapped off near the top and fell off on the freeway heat stress fracture from hot cold hot cold winter riding

Comment

Originally posted by R.S. View Post
            I restored her bottom to top 45k ago, she broke my heart. I'm in west Seattle
            Dang, little out of the way for me or I'd jump on it

Comment

We're all sick

Funny thing, I read this and the first thing I think is "parts" and "location" when I should feel bad for a fellow biker. I don't even have an xj.
              OK, so what was the new bike you were thinking of? This whole quest for parts thing is getting old.
              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
              79 DT 100

Comment

"Danmit Jim, I'm a doctor not a miracle worker."

Very sorry to hear it went bad for you. Best of luck with your new ride.
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

That is a great story. I am sorry to hear about your loss, but is did make for a great tale of cycle-revenge.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Your bike wasn't named "Christine" by any chance???
                    Current Rides:
                    02 GL1800 Wing
                    79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
                    81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Looking at getting a B-King

note: I dont mind wrenching, and I had a shop available a few years back and so restored her top to bottom, but I have no facility for that now.

Her name was Gadget

Comment

My Sickness...

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                        Funny thing, I read this and the first thing I think is "parts" and "location" when I should feel bad for a fellow biker. I don't even have an xj.
                        OK, so what was the new bike you were thinking of? This whole quest for parts thing is getting old.
                        is the "Obsession of the Eleven"

If I was able to take this XJ off his hands it would be restored/ stylishly modified as I've got my eye out for a good deal on a Maxim to add to the collection. Also I love a challenge

Comment

Was a nice looking rig

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2838493548.html

Comment

God knows I don't need another one, and I don't even particularly care for the XJ styling, but I hate to see another one parted out...

RS, I'm south of you, I'll buy this and repair it (I think I've got enough parts), sending you a PM...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

has the improved reg rec from oregon, new wheel bearings, tires are 3 months old, replaced the rotor and stator, has good intake manifold boots, have a few extra parts for it... original pipes.

needs lots of ods'n ends' shoptime work, its tired.

Comment

Working...
                              X