Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hang on to that RC Engineering exhaust !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hang on to that RC Engineering exhaust !!!

Did a little research on these exhausts and here's the best and most consice article I found. Ross Collins turned the Honda racing team intoa winner in the '70's due to his exhaust desingns, among other innovations. Enjoy :

Motorcycle Drag Racing Hall of Fame Series
    RUSS COLLINS - THE SORCERER
    Russ Collins began drag racing motorcycles in the late 1950s. By the mid-60s, he was an authority on high performance motorcycle engines. In 1969, Russ began racing Honda 750s and designed the first, four-into-one motorcycle exhaust header. He started RC Engineering to manufacture that product.

Before the end of the year, he'd set the first ever National Hot Rod Association track record for a Japanese motorcycle and was winning races on RC Engineering-built Hondas at a time when Triumph and Harley-Davidson dominated the sport. Not only was Collins, himself, setting records and winning but so were his customers. Russ Collins became a drag racing legend and RC Engineering became the place to go for high performance parts for Japanese bikes. Its motto was and remains today: "We prove our products in the face of our competitors."

The Revolution in Motorcycle Drag Racing
    RC Engineering's reputation for pushing the limits of technology led to the first, successful, blown-injected-on-fuel drag bike. Built in 1971, "The Assassin" weighed a mere 360 pounds and was powered by a 400 horsepower Honda four-cylinder. On The Assassin, Collins set drag race records all over the country. Innovations abounded on that famous bike. It had the first dual- Weber carburetor set-up for a motorcycle and later it was the first motorcycle to use fuel injection and a supercharger together. It was the first Japanese motorcycle to use magneto ignition. It was the first Japanese bike to run on alcohol and nitromethane fuels. By 1973, to beat The Assassin, other racers were forced to use double-engine Nortons, Triumphs and Harley-Davidsons.

Responding to the double-engine "trend", RC Engineering raised the bar another notch. Russ Collins built the "Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe", a thundering, three-engine, nitromethane-burning, Honda. This frightening machine became the first, seven-second motorcycle in drag racing and the first Top Fuel bike with a Japanese engine to hold a NHRA National Record. The "AT&SF," also, became the first motorcycle to win NHRA's coveted "Best Engineered Car" award at the Springnationals in 1973.

Russ Collins' three-motor monster eventually ran a best of 7.80 sec./179.5 mph but, in the end, proved a death-defying ride. In 1976, it was destroyed in a horrendous crash at Akron, Ohio that nearly killed Russ, put him in the hospital for several weeks and kept him in a wheelchair for several more. You can't keep a wild man down, though.

While recuperating from the accident, Collins designed the "Sorcerer", his final Top Fuel bike creation. Built in early-1977 and later billed as the World's Greatest Drag Bike, Sorcerer was powered by a pair of 1000cc. Honda fours. This bike won a second NHRA Best Engineered Award for RC Engineering. Blown, injected and running on 90% nitro, this two-wheeled, twin-engined rocket set a world motorcycle acceleration record for the quarter- mile of 7.30 sec./199.55 mph. That mark stood for 12 years, a truly astonishing feat in a sport where records are broken monthly.

In 1980, Russ Collins passed the 200mph drag bike torch to younger competitors. Two were his own employees, Terry Vance and Byron Hines, who raced a RC Engineering-built ,Top Fuel Suzuki. In addition to several event wins, their bike won the company's third NHRA Best Engineered Award. Those two racers went on to success with their own motorcycle business, Vance&Hines.

Russ Collins' ultimate achievement in the motorcycle world came on July 9, 1999 when he was inducted into the American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation's Motorcycle Hall of Fame. Six committees of experts in all areas of motorcycling started with a list of 500 people. Three rounds of balloting reduced that to 72 inductees for 1999 and Collins was one of them. He joins Steve McQueen, J.C. Agajanian, Willie G. Davidson, Evel Knievel, Don Vesco, Malcom Forbes, Bob Hannah, Roger DeCoster and other motorcycling greats as a Motorcycle Hall of Famer.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

I just wish I could find a ring for the Big bore pistons I have from RC engineering. They are 74MM pistons if IIRC.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Hey there Ras/Doug,

I found this thread in a search:

http://www.dragbike.com/forum/showth...m-piston-rings

A few years old, they mention several companies to look for rings, ie. Hastings, Total Seal, pistonrings.net, etc.!

There are several pages, and they mention the specs of the dimensions of the ring grooves and such you may find helpful in your search!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Good Read

Hi Cobia, I read that history of R.C. Engineering about a year ago. I happened onto it as I was looking for more info on these

Got the '80G with a 4 into 1 Kerker and these were thrown in the deal

I need to get the head pipes rechromed or Jet Hot coated

Twisted Baffles are all that is inside

Coincedence or just good design ?

Not having the internet in '92 when I bought the '80G I had no idea what these were I was forced to clean the yellow oversprayed paint off of them and fit them after the flanges of the Kerker head pipes fractured. It's a good thing 'cause noone would ride behind me if they wanted to hear for very long
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Schming,
          Those look really nice and I bet they sound even better. And the price was fantastic.
          I hope the flanges on my Kerker don't fracture...
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Russ Collins is a legend. Some say the first maker of a commercial 4 into 1 header for motorcycles. He also drove Bill Miller's Top Fuel car in the 90's, and now makes hi-po fuel injectors for cars. There would be no Vance and Hines without R.C.

1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
            Airbox w/K&N element
            Jardine 4 into 1
            145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
            1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
            1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

I used to be able to post pics. I lost the touch.

**Eric, I editted your posts...you're copying the PROPERTIES from the actual Image you're viewing, you need to look at the Post This Image box of text to the right of the photo....select the BOTTOM IMG code, copy and paste it in here, and then the photos will show! T.C. **
              Airbox w/K&N element
              Jardine 4 into 1
              145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
              1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
              1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

EricHa,

Yep, there would be no V&H without Ross Collins. The are videos on utube about his crash dirving a dragster.
                To post pics you put them up on Photobucket, then you copy the image link, last one down on the list, and then copy the url to the box that comes up when you click on 'insert image' up on this toolbar.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                  To post pics you put them up on Photobucket, then you copy the image link, last one down on the list, and then copy the url to the box that comes up when you click on 'insert image' up on this toolbar.
                  I did that, but it didn't work. I read in the FAQ that there is a Manage Attachments button that is involved but I never saw it. I'll try again....

Airbox w/K&N element
                  Jardine 4 into 1
                  145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                  1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                  1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Hmmph..... Anyway, I'm looking for a good RC pipe if anyone knows where to find one. The one I have is rough.
                    Airbox w/K&N element
                    Jardine 4 into 1
                    145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                    1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                    1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                      Schming,
                      Those look really nice and I bet they sound even better. And the price was fantastic.
                      I hope the flanges on my Kerker don't fracture...
                      Thanks, yes the have a very distinct tone, although in '92 when I got my bike I didn't know much about fuel and air in and out of an engine. I did however realize when I first put the RC's on, that the bike not only lost some low end torque, that was very evident with the Kerker 4 into1, it also suffered in the mid range alot. I then wrapped the baffles in regular fiberglass home insulation and experienced the "Freight Train Pull" these engines are noted for. When I set them up this time, I now have the knowledge attained from this "Amazing Forum" , it's menagerie of skilled people, carbtune vac gauge and a color tune plug kit to squeeze the XS power out of my '80G.

I believe the Kerker's flanges cracked because they were solidly mounted without a rubber isolater on the rear mount. The engine is mounted on rubber and so should the exhaust be.

Comment

Wow, a Russ Collins 4 into 2 ! I didn't know they did such a thing.

Schming, would it be OK if I used copies of your photo's to add this exhaust to the list of aftermarket exhausts for XS1100's ?
                        Brian
                        XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                        Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Lamric, good observation about the 4x2 RC considering that they became famous for inventing the 4x1 !!! I also noticed it doesn't have a crossover....
                          But the emblem is right on the mufflers.

Schming,
                          My Kerker only has a copper crush washer between the flange area and the head. I've seen other crush washers with asbestos type material encased in a white metal, but sometimes they're too thick for our exhausts.

After I get the J running and if it performs as before, I may sell the set of SS Jardine 4x2 turnouts that I've been keeping. I painted them because I couldn't get the stains out of the surface. They're like new otherwise. They should fetch a decent price since they'll last a lifetime considerng they're SS.
                          1980G Standard, Restored
                          Kerker 4 - 1
                          850 Rear End Mod
                          Automatic CCT
                          1980GH Special, Restored
                          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Thanks T.C.
                            Airbox w/K&N element
                            Jardine 4 into 1
                            145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                            1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                            1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Yes, but...

Originally posted by Lamric View Post
                              Wow, a Russ Collins 4 into 2 ! I didn't know they did such a thing.

Schming, would it be OK if I used copies of your photo's to add this exhaust to the list of aftermarket exhausts for XS1100's ?
                              ...I felt bad about all the clutter in the man cave so I took some pics today and You may use any You like.

I apologize for the "bright" pics and the blurred one of the rear veiw

Comment

Working...
                              X