No announcement yet.

Rubber parts conditioner. HELP !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tip, Mack. I'll look it up.
    Hope your surgery was successful and corrects what ailed you
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

This is...

...what I use on everything from the sidewalls on tires to the plastic trim on our Jeep Liberty to the awning on our camper It may be more of a preventive product in leiu of a restorer. It actually helps to keep the plastisizers from evaporating which is where the pliability comes from so it would be good preventive maintainence after treating with the restorer.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...127/rubber.cfm
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Excellent product Schming! Can be had at Tru-Valu and several other retailers. Have not used it on anything bike related cept for the 25+yr.old Corbin seat. Used it on a red padded dash out of a junk-yard 79Bronco that had no cracking but was brittle and really dirty. Couple of applications leaving it on then last application rubbed it clean. Padded dash became pliable without cracking. My 79dailydriver is gone, but still have the dash sittin' in the closet as the red version is hard to come by. Figure someone may need one sometime. Product works fairly amazing, and contains NO silicones.
        Last edited by motoman; 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM. Reason: added info
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Back when I was runing a AB Dick 360 offset printing press,we has this stuff called rubber rejuvinator. We put it on all soft rollers to keep them pliable. Might be worth try.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I used to use that stuff to service printers when I worked in an apple service center back when they actually repaired things. Worked really well to both clean and soften rubber parts that had gotten dirty and hard over time.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Schming,
              I use the 303 product on my boat seats. It keeps the plastic nice and soft. I have some in the shed, btw. I'll try it tomorrow and let you guys know...
              Thanks.
              And Webbcraft, what brand/make was that rubber rejuvenator ??
              Thanks again all.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

In my quest to find the Rubber restorer from Napa I found this and took a shot.
                It works great at cleaning rubber and if you leave the rubber in the solution for a bit it softens the rubber. I didn't leave it in the solution for too long.
                The rubber will slowly stiffen back a bit but it doesn't seem to be a hard as it was at the start. It will certainly make the rubber easier to work with.

http://www.generalgraphic.com/cleansuper.htm
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                  Yikes, Marty. It could be worse you could be in Iraq or one of those godforsaken countries...

Called my local NAPA store, the guy looked it up and found it in the Canadian NAPA parts catalog and it's listed as "No longer available" Darn !!!
                  Any further ideas are more than welcome.
                  Thanks
                  The last I heard the product was still avalable but under a new part number and only in a larger size. Try this thread.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=bodypro

Rob
                  Last edited by 79XS11F; 01-29-2012, 08:23 AM.
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

79XS11F,

I remember wishing I'd waited after getting the rubber cleaner when I saw that the cleaner you used was still available.

The stuff I bought does a good job and as a bonus if you use it in a closed garage you get to see the dancing elephants!!
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I use the 3M Marine Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer with good results.
                      1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
                      Airbox w/K&N element
                      Jardine 4 into 1
                      145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                      1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                      1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Working...
                      X