Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm obviously new to the forum but I didn't see a new member area so I decided to sign in here. I've only owned two other Yamahas (still own an "08" FZ1) but happened to spot a really nice "80" SG and decided to pop for it. I should be picking it up on Wednesday or Thursday. It has 56k on it now. The owner has done some updates such as new rubber, battery, exhaust, fork job, etc. I've ben trying to find the valve adjustment intervals but I'm having a bit of a problem finding a good schedued maintenance log. I found a recommendation somewhere that suggested every 4000 MI but that sounds pretty frequent to me. I can't remember any bike I've ever had, including six Harley's that required valve clearance checks that frequent. MY FZ1 goes 26,000 MI between checks. Anyway, this bike is a beauty and the first thing I plan on doing is removing the Windjammer faring and bags. Nice to be on the forum, hope I can add some experience and a few stories.
    Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

welcome to the site
    ~Jay
    Guilty Ones M.C.
    Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
    2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
      ...I've been trying to find the valve adjustment intervals but I'm having a bit of a problem finding a good scheduled maintenance log. I found a recommendation somewhere that suggested every 4000 MI but that sounds pretty frequent to me. I can't remember any bike I've ever had, including six Harley's that required valve clearance checks that frequent..
      Welcome to the site!

The 'recommended' valve adjustment interval is every 6K miles. That can be a bit too often, but I personally wouldn't go more than 15K. It will also depend on how the valves were adjusted; if you go to the 'loose' side of the allowable clearance, you can go further between but at the cost of a bit noisier motor. Yamaha reduced the intake clearance in '80 to quiet the motor (from .006-008" down to .004-.006"), you can run the 'early' clearance to get more miles between. The valves on these get tighter as they wear by the way, not looser, so too-tight is bad....

It will depend on your riding habits too; extended high-speed runs and high ambient temps will both accelerate wear slightly. So if the motor starts getting quiet, it's time to check the valves...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Since you're up in the Great White North, you may want to hang onto that fairing/bags for a while before you decide to get rid of them. They will drastically extend your riding season. If you need a manual, you can download one from the link in my signature. It has all the maintenance recommendations in it.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks for the info on the valve check/adjustment. That's about the only thing I don't know about the bike as far as maintenace goes (whether it was done when it was supposed to be and I probably won't know till I get into it. I'm just hoping I don't find a fist full of burned valves. One nice thing about the old wing was it had the old screw and nut adjusters which although they may need checking more often, it's easy as you can get. Even these XS models seem to be pretty easy compared to my FZ, with five valves per hole and not much room to work with, it's easier to drop the motor. I know a lot of these older motors take the same shims as some of the newer bikes and from what I'm seeing, they aren't cheap. Does anyone know if any other models use the same shims?

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
            ...Does anyone know if any other models use the same shims?
            KZ1000 Kaws are the most common users of these shims, but they're used by a few newer bikes too. Ask for 29mm diameter, and if you check with the service dept at a dealer, most will have a shim assortment and will sell/trade shims. You can still get them new, there's some online vendors if you search. Expect to pay $6-8 each new...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If you post on here saying which shims you need, chances are, you'll get a few responses with people willing to trade as well. You'll just have to wait for the mail to get them to you.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Online source for new 29MM shims....

http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/mo...lve_shims.html
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Welcome aboard.I've been threatening to buy an FZ1 for some time.If you have ridden the injected and carbureted models is it worth the extra $ in your opinion? Thanks Terry
                  1980 special (Phyllis)
                  1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Thanks again for the great information. This forum reminds me of the Naked Wing forum I was on a few years ago.. Seems the "old Farts" like myslef who ride older bikes know how and where to get the stuff to keep em running forever. Looks like I'll be leaving for Minneapolis either later today or first thing in the morning. I pray the "crystal" stuff holds back a bit. Last time I did this type of thing it was Dec 28th and it was only 200 mles each way. Snowed like mad on my way back. I had a Dodge Ram 4WD this time I've got about 650 miles each way and a Focus ZX4 pulling a trailer. Many think I've teetered over the edge.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

and good call on removing the fairing... but then, I like to ride nekkid. The bike that is... too many bugs in bad places for the other to be an option.

I have a shim library if you need shims and can wait for snail mail to make the delivery. It's a shim exchange so you just send me the ones that you don't need and I send you the ones that you do need.
                      PM me if you're interested.
                      If not, that's cool too.

Welcome again!
                      81 SH Something Special
                      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

Welcome to the site. As some have said, having a fairing is a personal thing. Some love them (as I do) and some don't (as Kat does), and some take them off in the warm weather and put them back on when the weather turns cold to increase their riding time. Only you can decide what you want to do.

I personally like having my face in the wind (I run my windshield a bit shorter than some) but my body behind the shelter of the fairing, and I like the storage of the fairing and bags as well. I also like the look of a dresser. It's one of the nice things about these machines, because of their versatility, so many different looks are possible, all the way from a stripped down hardtail (of which there are some really good examples among the members here) to farkled out full dress touring machines (also represented on the forum), and of course pretty much anything and everything in between, including at least a couple trikes (I'm waiting to see the first guy do a foretrike out of an XS11), with one in the works right now. While we may razz the guys who strip them down and hardtail them some (ok, more than some and a lot of cases), it's because so many give up half way. The ones who actually finish the job (even if it takes several years) almost always get pats on the back and praise for the job and the effort into the job. I know we have one guy working on a chop right now that I hope we will see some photo's of by spring, and maybe will be on one of next years calendars as well.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Lonerider...Welcome to CH.11 As has been eloquently stated...The XS/XJ1100s' are quite as versatile as there are people to personalize them. This design has proven to be quite venerable as well...just like us old farts. Being the original owner of my '82 XJ its seen some changes...gone from stock naked to a full faired Windjammer w/ trunk and now returned to naked look.
                          As you can see from my sig. I have another bike that is excellent for being fully faired...thus the XJ can stay the way it is...and thats a nice change come summertime around these parts.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

[QUOTE=Wildkat;347292]Welcome aboard!

I like to ride nekkid. QUOTE]

You SOOOOOO nasty
                            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

[QUOTE=dpotter58;347397]
                              Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                              Welcome aboard!

I like to ride nekkid. QUOTE]

You SOOOOOO nasty

Yeah well... John doesn't seem to mind that too much

81 SH Something Special
                              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X