Oil Filter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Question

I got myself a xs11 special (1980) not long ago and I was just changing the oil filter. When I finished I noticed I had fogotten a spring. I don't remember if the spring was above the filter or below so I put it above but on looking in the manual (after finishing) it appears it might have been below. My question is does it really matter if the spring is above or below? I just don't want to go buy more oil and take it back apart if I don't have to.

it goes below the filter.. it needs to be there.
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

K thanks Will go and move it now.

Comment

Don't forget the washer as identified in this tip
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Washer?? ooppsss.... I guess the PO decided it didnt need one.... I have not had one since i got the bike in 97
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Mine doesnt have a washer either. He might have added one himself.

Comment

actually i have seen the parts break down and there is suposed to be one there... i just have not broke down and tried to find one
              Shawn
              78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
              78 XS1100E Parts
              www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

The washer is very thin and it tends to get stuck to the rubber insert. If you're not looking for it, it is real easy to miss, especially if you're doing your first oil change on a motor that hasn't had regular oil changes.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

I got one at the dealer, in stock and only like $1.00 or something.
                  Gary Granger
                  Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                  2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Washer ?

Ken,s right, I lost my washer that way. Changed my oil didn't see the washer stuck to the bottom of the oil filter an threw it away. Now i got to buy a new one.
                    Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Comment

Does anyone have the specs on the following parts? I need to goto home depot or something and try to buy replacements. After the oil change there seems to be a slight oil seepage from both the bolt under the filter and the drain bolt.

1) Oil filter cover O ring
                      2) Washer for under the oil filter (btw does this go above or below the spring)
                      3) gaskets for the drain bolt.

I can't see the actual specs on these parts in my manual.

Comment

The o-ring comes with the NAPA or Fram filters, not sure what size, cant you take the cover with you to get one? Or buy a NAPA or Fram and use the 0-ring twice?

The oil filler bolt washer is actually a crush ring, you will need to go to a auto parts store with the bolt and get a 'crush washer' of the same size. These are the same washers you use inbetween the brake hose fittings only bigger. They are available in aluminum or in copper, either will work.

The washer for the filter is special (very thin and mut be the right diameter both in and out) and I would go to the dealer and pony up my dollar and get the right part. Mine was 85 cents at Zannotti's Yamaha.

So you need less than $3 in parts here.
                        Gary Granger
                        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                        X