spare key needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare key needed

I am looking for a spare key to fit #3934.
    I have a set of locks, and an ignition switch on a partzer that I would offer for sale, but the bike came keyless.
    I know that for a price, I could get one made by a locksmith, but I imagine that it would probably cost more than the parts that I am selling.
    I have a string of keys myself, infact one is only a few numbers off.
    Anybody have 3934?
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

You might want to check your Yamaha dealer....I had only 1 key for the XJ when I bought it, dealer got another one for me at no charge.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Nice dealer! Mine won't even consider looking, just says I can't afford it!
      Highlander

Comment

Mike, I went to a locksmith for the very same reason. Took my ignition switch with me and got 2 keys made. Cost me less then $20Cdn.

Brian
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Nice dealer! Mine won't even consider looking, just says I can't afford it!
          Yamaha dealer was Rock River Powersports in Jefferson, WI. Web page is:

http://www.rockriverpowersports.com/

I did not buy the bike there, just stopped in from time to time for a few parts and look over the new machines. This goes back to 1999 - 2000, though, so I can't speak for recent policies.....

They did support older Yamahas. My key waqs ordered by key number and shipped from Yamaha. I had to wait for it, but for free I wasn't going to worry much. It is now my backup key.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Highlander
            I got one made for 10.00 a couple of years ago . If you need one I could check for you .
            Ralph Waltman
            80 Midnight Sp.
            Evil mistress

Comment

I had 2 new keys made from my gascap code and a copy of my ignition key for around $14 US.
              1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Thanks Ralph. I found a lock smith that made me copies from my original for $3 each. I was just surprised by my local Yamaha dealers refusal to order me one from the numbers.
                Highlander

Comment

Spare keys

When I got my special it had zero keys.....I took it to a locksmith....the woman locksmith had me remove the ignition switch....30 minutes and lots of questionable verbiage....she then made me 3 keys in 10 minutes from the switch....they worked in the ignition, gas tank filler cap and the left side panel lock...FYI the lock on the gas cap DOES NOT have all the tumblers in it that is in the ignition switch....I repeat does not...if they try to make a key off of the filler cap it will ONLY work on that lock NOT the ignition switch....don't ask me how I know this any way it cost $12 US....still need keys made for saddlebags and fairing....I had no luck thru local Yamaha dealer...they want to sell you a bike not parts....

It only took 10 minutes to re-install ignition switch with zero questionable verbiage required..

Terry O'Donnell
                  81SH "BullDozer"
                  Holy Riders Motorcycle Ministries
                  [URL]www.holyriders.com[/URL]
                  [URL]www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HRMC/[/URL]

Comment

My locksmith has the yamaha blanks right on the wall and they are in his computer system. All I need to do is tell him the 4 digit number and the computer spits out a new key $6.

For the side bag locks we had to look in a cabinet lock book he had. The exact latch was shown and he had those keys hanging on the wall as well.
                    Gary Granger
                    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks folks, for the replies.
                      I guess that the issue is, that the lock in question is on a parts bike. (no registration).
                      By CA state law, in order for the locksmith to make a NEW key, not just a duplicate, you are supposed to show that the bike is registered in your name. Otherwise anybody could take a peek at your ingition # and come back an hour later and ride away. (that would suck!!!)
                      I imagine that I could bring registration for another Yamaha, and they would have no way of telling it was wrong, but sinse I am only looking for the key, because someone here wants to buy the locks anyway, it kinda does not seem like it's worth the hassle.
                      Thanks for the input tho. )
                      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Oops, that was SUPPOSED to be a smiley face. LOL
                        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Where do you find this 4 digit number?
                          Marty in NW PA
                          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

The key # is stamped into the original keys, and each of the locks and ignition cyls. Right on the silver face.
                            Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

no serial number on locks

no numbers on locks on my saddlebags....but the fairing covers have numbers....wonder if it is keyed the same????
                              Terry O'Donnell
                              81SH "BullDozer"
                              Holy Riders Motorcycle Ministries
                              [URL]www.holyriders.com[/URL]
                              [URL]www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HRMC/[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X