0-60/100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0-60/100

I recall back in '79 that I was able to do 0-60mph/100kph in first gear. I am unable to do that with my current bike.

Any thoughts on the following??

I'm recalling incorrectly. (Am I that old)
    My current bike is 32 years older than my original.
    I still need to do a carb sync.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob
    1979 XS1100F

Originally posted by forexbob View Post
    I recall back in '79 that I was able to do 0-60mph/100kph in first gear. I am unable to do that with my current bike.

Any thoughts on the following??

I'm recalling incorrectly. (Am I that old)
    My current bike is 32 years older than my original.
    I still need to do a carb sync.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob
    Hi Bob,
    yes you are, (yes you are), yes it is and yes you do.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

What Fred said!!
      I think I was able to get 50 to 55mph on my '78, in '77!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

18 years ago my bike could do 100 while pulling a tree stump with a keg of beer on the back, in 1st, at least that's how I remember it.
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

keep trying!!

you might reach 60mph in first but only once and thats if your lucky
          buy a few more xs11s and keep trying you might get there eventually !
          and just think of all the spare parts!(not to mention the sudden spike in value to all our bikes!)
          79 xs eleven special
          pods
          jetted
          cammed
          pitted chrome
          straight pipes
          16" apes
          +6 front
          -2.6 rigid rear (still regret this)
          blinkers are for slow ppl
          http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/100_3355.jpg http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...1st2011021.jpg
          "here for a good time NOT a long time"

Comment

Easy

The one I have now will do that and more, usually right around 3 seconds. 2nd means 85 mph, 3rd over 100 but at that point I quit looking at the speedo and look to see what's comming at me that fast. Of course I have the 750 final in it and it's seen over 10,000 on the tach many times...
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by debauchery View Post
              you might reach 60mph in first but only once and thats if your lucky
              Oh, I dunno....I kind of second planedick. 55-60 in 1st is easily obtainable in but a few short seconds, provided you have a good tune up and a good clutch with no slipping. My SF has done it before however I dont push it that hard in low gear very much. Not because of the bike slowing down but because of me slowing down. Besides, once you get it moving, the 'up to 60' part does not take all that much power. Its the 60-100 that takes double the effort and then the 100-top end that takes everything the motor has.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Bob,
                yes you are, (yes you are), yes it is and yes you do.
                Fred, very well put (But I don't want to be that old)

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                18 years ago my bike could do 100 while pulling a tree stump with a keg of beer on the back, in 1st, at least that's how I remember it.
                Lover, I don't believe you. How big was the keg?

Originally posted by debauchery View Post
                buy a few more xs11s and keep trying you might get there eventually !
                OK debauchery, you're on...as soon as I win a lottery

So, some think no and believe it to actually be silly to think that the bike could do 0-60 in first.
                And some think that's it's possible and say thay have even done it themselves.

I'm going with my memory and the fact that I can do 0-50 in first no problem, I rebuilt the carbs, carbs haven't been sync'd yet, it's a 32 year old bike.....and I just like the idea.

So....what top speed can you get in 1st?

Bob
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

I'd say whatever redline is in 1st, which for me is higher than someone with the stock FD since I have the 750 FD, so I may well be able to hit 60 in 1st while someone with a stock FD might not (not remembering what speed I was going at redline in 1st with the stock FD, I've done it, but I wasn't paying much attention to the speedometer, it was all on the road and getting the front wheel back down (whoa brutus!) ok, so the front wheel was back down well before then, but that WAS one of the times it came up ). Being that 1st is pretty close to being second now, that would certainly put 60 in 1st in the realm for brutus now, so I may have to do a redline run just to see what the speed is at that point (just to prove a point, I VERY SELDOM, ALMOST NEVER go to redline, but I do go up in that area often enough to hopefully avoid getting a ridge up there). Thing is, I guessing I would be exceeding the speed limit anywhere around here if I hit redline in 1st gear, and I KNOW I would in 2nd . By third I'd be at "go to jail" speeds if I got caught, and yes, I've been up there on a test run or two, but only a couple, and only for a VERY short time (only this was with the stock FD, so "go to jail" speeds might be hit in 2nd now ).
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ok, test run on the way home today. Have a clear straight run that's good for it. Redline in 1st gear reads about 55, allowing for error, it might possibly be 60, but last check with GPS showed my speedometer almost exact at just about everything up to 80 MPH, so I doubt there would be anything more than maybe a bit of lag there. If I can't get PAST 60 in first with the 750 FD on a standard with as close to the right size rear tire as I can find (it's still slightly shorter than the OEM tire, but AFAIK you can't get anything that quite that size anymore) even with the OEM rear tire I can't see a stock FD doing in back in the day, and for SURE not now, and forget doing so with a special, even with a 750 FD unless you swap in a 17" rear wheel with it. I'll have to say, this is the first time I've really gotten on it with the 750 FD, and it was still quite a thrill, just not quite as quickly a thrill off the line.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Empirical evidence

Well done Cy,
                      Can't argue with that. Thanks for the test

Bob
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Red line?

I've been WWAAAAAYYYY over redline many times. 10,000 is easy and it's still pullin' hard....
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                          I've been WWAAAAAYYYY over redline many times. 10,000 is easy and it's still pullin' hard....
                          ive done that a few times as well
                          tho its usually after hitting a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                            Maybe with a younger engine or one that I knew what the condition of all the internals was, but on a 30 year old engine that I don't know how it was treated before I got it 2 years ago? I'm not comfortable pushing it to redline regularly even, I don't have that level of confidence in the condition of the lower end of the engine, and I'm not sure that the later engines are capable stock of hitting those RPM's like the earlier engines are, they don't have the same compression or the same cam profile. But I'm not sure based on the results that you could hit 60 in 1st with the stock FD even by 10,000 RPM, although since I don't have the stock FD and won't push mine that hard even if I did, there's no way for me to test that. Anybody with a stock FD willing to push to 10k and see if the make 60 in 1st?
                            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            750 FD Mod
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                              Maybe with a younger engine or one that I knew what the condition of all the internals was, but on a 30 year old engine that I don't know how it was treated before I got it 2 years ago? I'm not comfortable pushing it to redline regularly even, I don't have that level of confidence in the condition of the lower end of the engine, and I'm not sure that the later engines are capable stock of hitting those RPM's like the earlier engines are, they don't have the same compression or the same cam profile. But I'm not sure based on the results that you could hit 60 in 1st with the stock FD even by 10,000 RPM, although since I don't have the stock FD and won't push mine that hard even if I did, there's no way for me to test that. Anybody with a stock FD willing to push to 10k and see if the make 60 in 1st?
                              When I get my painting done (gotta cut and buff and its done) and the engine broken in I will give it a try for you Cy!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X