Group riding etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Actually, it's not that complicated unless the leader crashes halfway up the Pig Trail.
    no big deal unless the rest of the group follows suit.
    Nice video huh?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Thanks for great response

Great response from everyone. Jerry's was a good synopses.
      I go on group rides at least a couple of times a year. The “Vampires,” (the local nipple ring and tattoo, everything but Harley club,) has a “ride it like you stole it” hooligan pack style. The Ghost Mountain Riders, one of the local Harley clubs, has a more genteel, organized pack ride twice a year that attracts up to 700 bikes.
      I like to see a group of bikes riding in staggered formation. I try to keep the face of the rider in front of me in his side mirror: that way I know he can see me. Keep out of that “blind spot!” I get impatient when I see a rider lag behind several car lengths. Some riders, (like the gent I ticked off,) do this habitually. Like someone suggested, riders who do this shouldn't object if another rider passes him to fill the void. I think in the future if it is left to me to conduct a riders meeting and/ or lead a ride, I might ask which riders are comfortable riding in a tight group, and have them ride up front. The others, if they lag, at least won't spread the whole group out over a half mile.
      It is really cool to see a pack riding two up, side by side, with only a bike length between rows. Cops, Shriners, and Hells Angels do this, but it is only for very well trained riders, and those whose riding one is really familiar with. Ray, Scot and I trust each other to ride like this.
      A “Rally” is more than just the pack ride. Some riders may choose to go their own way, go swimming, wine tasting, etc. If they aren't into group riding they should be encouraged to do so.
      “...but it seems to me that you were sorely lacking in leadership. I'd hardly call what you guys did a 'rally'. The ones we do here in the east are organized to the nth degree.” LOL, yes, well, this is “Can'taffordya,” home of the “do yer own thing” anarchist. My better half remarked on the prolonged attempt to get everyone pointed in the same direction for a ride as “a bit like herding cats.”
      I'd love to attend an East Coast Rally to see how you Yanks do it... and to meet some new Xsives too!
      Special Ed
      Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
      I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
        no big deal unless the rest of the group follows suit.
        Nice video huh?
        Right up to the crash site.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Avoid the crowd

I am like Elevener, I like to ride alone. Much more relaxing with not having to worry about what others do or think. As far as the rallies go, I ride with the group for the planned rides and try not to get too frustrated. What I really like about the rallies is the campfire beer and gabfest.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

About "bailing out" of a group ride.

"I've got no problem bailing out and doing my own thing, I'll see you back at the camp ground!"

If you do this please let someone know: preferably the ride captain. As a teenager I left a "map run" without letting anyone know and the club members spent a couple of hours going over the course to see if I had broken down, They were really POed when they found me at home watching TV.
            Special Ed
            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

You've been a troublemaker for quite some time haven't you Ed?
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Some of my observations...never expect the leader of the group to be responsible for you...or your pace. You should always ride your own ride... you should have pre-ride meetings... riding in large or even small groups riders should always employ a 3 second rule when following the bike ahead of them. Riding in a staggered right /left positioning of bikes along straight roads and single file through the twisties...Never side by side except when pulling up to a stop. Changing position only at scheduled stops or by asking the person ahead of you when you pull up to any stop. Passing someone when they least expect it can scare the crap out of them thus i could understand the complaint.
                There are a number of ways a leader can lead without losing everyone,ut it takes coordination with others. One mthod not used with XS/XJ owners but has been used with ST-Owners is a method of leading a group of any size without anyone getting lost or having to rush to keep pace, or use a map or gps. its known as a drop and sweep method. only the lead rider and the sweep rider's positions are fixed. The leader,every time he comes to a turn will signal the rider immeditaely behind him to stop at the spot designated and wait until all the others following have passed. the sweep rider comes along and the dropped rider resumes the ride. The pakc of riders between the first and last is constantly cycling from front to back throughout the day. I have been on a couple rides with 30+ bikes in the group and this method worked liked a charm...just a littl more than .02 cnts..
                1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

That's a good method but it sounds a little too much like the goose step. But then, I've never ridden in a group that large.

Not sure I want to. But I would follow whatever rules put forward.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    That's a good method but it sounds a little too much like the goose step. But then, I've never ridden in a group that large.

Not sure I want to. But I would follow whatever rules put forward.
                    It really is a great method Greg. Not sure what you mean by goose step...its easy and safe. you can have the pack so stretched out...miles and miles and it feels like you're riding all by yourself until you catch up to the group at stops. no one ever has to use a map or gps or gets lost so long as there is a person marking the next turn. On the last XSEast rally at the morning pre ride meeting it was stated that if you lose sight of the rider behind you stop until they catch up...but this was not enforced and i know of at least one person who lost their way because someone didnt do their part.
                    1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                    2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

I guess it's because I prefer a more spirited ride, not a walk down the road. That's why I said I'm not sure I would want to ride in a large group.

Nothing against those that enjoy it. Harley riders come to mind.

The "Goose Step" was a reference to the stiff march of the Nazis.

Just sayin'
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

For what it's worth

Years ago (in my Virago days) I fell in with a group of riders on a ride in the foothills of Ca. I only knew one of the riders casually and he was a "safe and sane" rider.

We stopped and discussed where they were headed, the roads and what was expected as far as manners and safety. They were mostly older riders. I was only about 25 at the time. I didn't mind the slower pace as I liked to look around and watch something beside the tail light in front of me.

Their theory for group rides was like the saying "If your not the lead dog, the view never changes". About every ten minutes the lead rider would pull off and let the next man take the lead and so on. The rider that pulled over and went to the back would know who the previous rider was and would wait for him to pass before he fell into the back of the pack. If that previous rider was not there then there was a call out to stop the group and then look for the missing rider. There were more than a few who had CB's.

That never happened while I was riding with them so I never saw how it worked if a rider at the rear had trouble.

Everyone had a chance to head the pack a couple of times durring the ride and it was nice to get a different view and you were ocasionally the leader.

It was their ride program and they worked it to a "T".

Just something to think about.
                        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Wanted to chime in, just got back from the Colorado rally, and the riding went great. Had a short meeting before the ride, people were given good general instruction about the route, expectations, etc and we had a good time. Even when we did get separated for awhile by necessity or otherwise, the lead group found a conspicuous place to stop, waited until the back riders got there, and went on our way together.

People offered to change places in the riding order, pulling away from stops and breaks guys would pull out and end up where they ended up. Overall it doesn't matter, as it's a GROUP ride and no points or prizes for anything but a good time and riding together as well as riding back in together at the end of a long day.

But I will say, having a well tuned bike keeps guys behind from getting high sniffing the exhaust/unburned gas! Heck, maybe that's why some of the riders LIKED being toward the back...
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                          X