Xs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xs1000

Does anyone remember the XS1000 at the Yamaha Las Vegas (I believe it was Las Vegas) dealer show in 1977? Probably was 1100 but it had XS1000 on the side covers. I have pics but they are on slides. Seems that other manufacturers came out with 1000cc motorcycles for 1978 but Yamaha trumped them with 1100cc.
    XJ1100
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/XE...=w1201-h677-no
    82 SR500
    74 Yam MX250
    80 XS750 Dirt Tracker
    72 XS650
    other to be posted later

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

send me your slides

I will scan them and send back. I got a slide scanner 4-5 years ago and have never used it. Please help me

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

If I remember correctly Yamaha scammed every one during testing and let them think it was a 1000.Then sprung the 1100 thing after the bike was in production.I'm not sure I have all the details but I sure someone will help me out. Terry
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Amazing things you can find on the internet.
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5hkNe5QUc%253D

* See full description and enlarge the photo of the cover

Then I found this oddity
          http://clymervalues.com/Navigation.d...5&model=XS1000

after this I am starting to believe they actually made one
          http://www.repairmanual.com/category...yamaha-xs1000/
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Further research tells me DiverRay has a personal story to tell about this .
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

Guess I didn't have anything better to do tonight so until DiverRay jumps in this article lays it out
              http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/articl...mber-1977.html
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

to SFerin

thank you for posting all that interesting stuff on the xs1000,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Very interesting!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I always thought it was called the XS11 because of engine displacement, however, the article linked by SFerin states it's because it ran an 11 second 1/4 mile. Learn something new every day!
                    Richard
                    '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                    '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

I was at the dealer show when the XS1000 (XS1100) was revealed. There was a movie screen setup and it showed the XS coming toward you down a winding road and it keep getting closer and closer until it burst through the screen and was setting on stage. a moment I will never forget. Bought one after totalling my XS750D. Rode with many triple owners and we would have a roll on drag race about 60mph. XS11 in 5th gear and the triples would have to shift to third to keep up. I put 33,000 miles on mine. Leaky head gasket pushed me to sell it. Regret the decision to sell. Now own a XJ1100 Maxim with about 17,000 miles.

Will need wifes help to locate the slides of the XS1000. Hmmmm, could be a while.
                      XJ1100
                      https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/XE...=w1201-h677-no
                      82 SR500
                      74 Yam MX250
                      80 XS750 Dirt Tracker
                      72 XS650
                      other to be posted later

Comment

Yeah, Yamaha fooled EVERYBODY back in '77. They talked up the XS1000, even showed cutaway engine to the press, but would NOT let anyone take measurements! I know I ordered the XS1000 in June of '77, and took delivery of my XS1100 in September! Wish I still had the paperwork from then....
                        The XS11 got it's name from the displacement, but Yamaha ALSO wanted the FASTEST production bike on the planet! The final drive ratio is 3.32, and NOT the 2.97 of the 750 to make sure they hit the 1/4 mile mark.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

This is an old thread I know, bit I found some Yamaha gold on fleabay tonight. I decided I would look up xs1000 on eBay to check for listings with typos. I found a folder from the 1978 Yamaha service seminar with all sorts of paperwork on the xs1000.

I bought it and I'm super excited to read it. I'll scan it when it comes in and post it here.
                          81 xs1100 SH
                          81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                          80 suzuki gs550et
                          07 suzuki S40

Comment

That was very cool, thanks for resuscitating this. I remember the first 1100s and had no idea.

Just to add, searching ebay for "xs1000" is also a way to find overlooked xs1100 items where the seller mistyped. Got a great deal on a tank that way.

Also I search on "eleven special" sometimes, those are folks who have no idea how to list and don't know anything about the bikes. got two side covers for $30 that way.
                            Steve R

'80 SG
                            "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                            1978 XS400E Red
                            1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...772598&alt=web
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X