Hornets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornets!

I was riding through CNY the other day and enjoying the fall foliage. I was flipping up my visor in the small villages along the way, and was lax in putting it back down coming out of Little Falls, NY. A hornet/yellowjacket/wasp variant chose to join me inside my Shoei, then decided he didn't like the accomodations. He demonstrated his displeasure by stinging me repeatedly on my left temple, and I reciprocated, albeit a little too slowly, by smearing his insectoid flesh against the side of my head. Hornet guts do not make an effective balm for hornet stings. Inspired by this unpleasantry, I will be amusing myself next summer by slaughtering all hornets on my property, including women and children. (No threat of any kind should be inferred regarding females and offspring of any other species, especially human!) Have a nice day.
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

A very amusing story. Got a kick out of it as I got stung by one of their relatives several weeks back. Got me on the arm tho...

I guess that comes with the territory....

Comment

No stinging bugs yet, but...

I haven't ran into any stinging bugs yet. I had several bugs fly into my helmet and I always hope they are not the biting kind. I figure my time will come.

I did have a bird ricochet off my helmet once. It scared the crap out of me. I guess the bird was alright. I looked back in my mirrors and did not see anything on the road.
      Jason K.
      '80 XS1100G
      '80 XS850LG
      '96 FZR600

Comment

I promise I'm not laughing at your misfortune, only the way you amusingly told the story!

I got off my bike and walked in to Autozone the other day and started talking to the cashiers about sand paper and felt some niceness on my back. I was getting stung by something that got down my shirt. A little embarrasing, but I smashed it and later looked in the mirror and had about a 1 inch welt.

I hate bees, ticks, and mosquitos.

Ben
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Here in NH we have June Bugs in late summer/early fall. I've been hit by one in the forehead at highway speeds and it felt like someone threw a rock at my head. Fortunately, it didn't hit anything vital.

Comment

Funny

Ha Ha, Michelle very funny i got hit by a june bug at 75 mph thought someone hit me with a ball pien hammer Know what your saying , Right between the eyes lol. A buddy of mine was biking in a tee shirt , a sparrow hit him in the shoulder and stuck right there beek embedded in him, he almost wiped out i was right behind him, now that was scary . Biking ya gotta love it !.......MITCH
            Doug Mitchell
            82 XJ1100 sold
            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Your friend should have had the bird stuffed and mounted, it would have made a great conversation piece. Hey, he could have attached it right to his handlebars like a hood ornament. Anyway, they should make those birds fly on the right side of the road with the traffic.

Comment

I always ride with my sunglasses or clear safety under my helmet, both pair fit perfect in the opening.. I have had a few bugs decide to commict suicide on the glasses while the face sheild was up. Dragon flies in the throat at 75mph do tend to smart, i caught something big in the shoulder I think it was a bumblebee, that flat out hurt... and ducked just in time to miss a bird at 70. atleast with the windshield on i dont get hit as much anymore..lol
                Shawn
                78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                78 XS1100E Parts
                www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

I think the craziest thing that happened to me,was rideing on a winding road near home one night.Saw a owl on the side of road.The owl must have been hitch hiking or something and tried to land on my handlebars.That was a very strange experence to say the least. Funny when I think back on it.
                  Bill Harvell

Comment

Buzzz...splat

Not only happening to me then!

A bee at highway (motorway) speeds on the knee is pretty painful for a few minutes. Managed to miss the stinging end tho' so far.

Back in '95 I was on holiday in Southern Ireland when I rode down to this small bay on the Atlantic cost in Kerry. Beautiful warm day, great view coming down the hill to a small secluded village, riding down a country lane with hedges blooming with flowers either side. Real good mellow feeling of a gentle tour around the countryside.

After a couple of minutes I realised that the little dots I could see were wasps & bees darting across the lane to visit all the flowers. I soon had the visor on my helmet down!!!
                    XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                    Guzzi 850
                    Z1000

Comment

OUCH

I know that feeling I got rocked over the weekend. Big Bumble Bee right in chest at 60 MPH. It felt like a boulder hit me in the chest.....
                      Madness comes from within.

78 XS 1100 E (at Birth) "Madness"
                      79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
                      83 Sportster "Lunacy"
                      72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

I have had yellow jackets get in my helment with the visor down and then try to fly through the face sheild to get out.Now that will get your attention.I was takeing a short ride near home one day and had my sheild up just a little to let some air in.Well something else got in,could feel it crawling around my left ear.Pulled off thinking it was a yellow jacket,turned out to be a very big bumble bee.Needless to say I pitched a large fit scared me so bad.Can`t afford to get stung, have to carry sting kit.Something to think about.Ride,ride and ride somemore.This is getting interesting I know others have had experences like these.Air it out.
                        Bill Harvell

Comment

Hornets? Did somebody say hornets!

Friggen things...see the link. Ugh!

http://cuagain.manilasites.com/stories/storyReader$283
                          CUAgain,
                          Daniel Meyer
                          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Crazy purists. Try a fairing?

No bugs in my teeth! Got tired of getting 'shot' at night...
                            Marty in NW PA
                            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                            This IS my happy face.

Comment

flying objects

Not to laugh at anyone, but Igot the old june bug right between the eyes at 50 mph. felt like someone had thrown a rock out of a wrist rocket at me.had wife on back. had to pull over cuz I was tearing so bad I couldn't see.when she asked what happened told her and she laughed till she saw the welt mark it left.hard to explain to people how it happened without them lol. now they all kiss their little oops on my windsheild
                              when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                              80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
                              X