No announcement yet.

3h4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, my thanks to all who replied to my last post. After reading them I have come to realize that I've been running my petcocks incorrectly, Ive been pointing the paddle away from the position I wanted. Also I guess I'm lucky since a neighbor asked me to move the bike because the fumes were entering through an open window, I just got on and started and moved it with a puddle of fuel on the ground beneath it. I think it's time to put the bike in storage since I ride because it feels good and is fun not because I have a death wish. I had'nt trusted the bike 100% so I never took long trips or used the highway and definitely no attempts to see if the bike would go 140 mph. I'm not even sure about putting it in the 10 x 20 storage garage we rent (that was my plan) since I'm worried about the fire risk to our belongings not to mention the belongings of others who are adjacent to our unit.

Michelle

Comment

Dont worry Be happy !

Your probs are minor just putting the petcocks in the right place will prob cure the gas prob. At the worst you can rebuid the octopuss, at a small price even getting a shop to do it , my xj leaked gas in my shed for a year, if i didnt turn the petcocks off rebuilt the octopuss no more leaks! You have a great bike but just like anything it needs a little TLC. Hope u can make my rally this summer your not that far away and there will be lots of great people here to help u work on your bike . Just drain the gas out before u put it away for the winter unhook the battery and take it inside . You will be fine HTH....MITCH
      Last edited by mitch; 10-14-2003, 10:25 AM.
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

leaky carbs

Of all the freaky things! Speakin of overflowing carbs. I went out for a ride last night and today after checking my bike out found gas leakin out of the airbox.....only the second time its happened in like 4 yrs....funny we should be talking about it on the forum.
        Bruce
        Bruce Doucette
        Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Draining the tank to store it is exactly what I'm going to do. Is there anything special I should do to prevent the inside of the tank from rusting? I would have stored it with the tank topped off and driven the bike inside the storage garage front end first so I could run the bike occasionally during the winter to charge the battery. There's so much the bike needs I'll have to begin a list and prioritize. Leaking fuel would obviously be #1. Sorry to hear your bike is leaking also Bruce I hope it's just something simple like leaving the gas on.

Michelle

Comment

Storage

Heres an address for winter storage tips.....http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc1.shtml

Some bikers store gastanks inside, empty of fuel, most store there bikes with a full tank and a product called stabil added to preserve or stabilise the fuel.....whatever you do, run the bike till the carb bowls are empty.

Check-out the xs11.com site for off-season storage tips, plenty of useful info there.

Bruce
            Bruce Doucette
            Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Thanks Bruce, I'll check out the link you provided.

Michelle

Comment

just checked(late info)but your bike is a xs1100sf,it was also done in black gold,it did go to canada but also went to alot of other places as well.hope you find this info of use.robbie.

Comment

on the cover

The special I have I noticed is the model used for the cover shot of either the haynes manual or the the other after market service manual for the XS11s. Losing my memory or something lately i should know the name of that manual but it slips my mind but thats my bike on the cover in Carmine red...to bad I had to sandblast a lot of the paint off the tank (surface rust) but there are no dents in the tank whatsoever.....even the sidecovers are intact just that the paint is lifting there as well.
                  Bruce
                  Bruce Doucette
                  Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

.. that would be Clymers, Bruce...
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

carb leaks

Another point to ponder is the o rings on the brass seat for the float needle, or a slightly distotred seat assembly. They are very soft and pulling them out with a pliers can get them out of round, and fuel will leak past the o rings. Happened to me.

John
                      80SG Twilite Special

Comment

All I can say is that I have used the kick starter a number of times, even when cold when it wouldn't start with the pos battery that was in the Mongrel when i got it..

I also found a few times what when the starter wasn't enough to get it to turn over alone, I "helped" it with the kick starter.. and
                        I have never had a time that it didn't work.
                        jeff "Wags"
                        Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                        79sf rusty
                        79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Working...
                        X