3h4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3h4

Heres a new listing for the specifications/serial # page, I think....I jst bought this pitiful looking mutt of a '79 Special. The serial # is 3H4-000590 and I'm not sure but the 3H4 may mean its a Canadian model.
    Anyway the bike is stock with plenty of rust and corosion but I'm gonna try tpo bring the engine to life before winter; no keys came with the bike so that could be a problem though the ignition seems to take any key just like my 78. The bike has 2 new tires, supertrap exhaust, stainless headers, Koni "Super D" shocks, the rear fender needs replacing as well as the front, the chrome shock uppers are rusted, the chrome metal bar above the shocks needs replacing, seat pan needs work as its rusted bad but I can fix that, the seat cover is OK, the bike is carmine red and needs a repaint, both sidecovers are fine and the engine apart from rusty bolts is clean and undamaed with unscuffed engine cases.....I kicked the bike over using the kickstart after puting WD40 in the cylinders for 24 hrs. or so. Next step, pull and clean the carbs, check the electrics. The bike has been in the weather for 2 yrs. so who knows what damage i will find. I'm sure some of you Xsives have found and brought bikes back to life in worse shape.

Let you know how it goes and I will no doubt need parts if this bike is a keeper.

Bruce Doucette
    78 xs1100 Alpha
    79 Special
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

I know this must sound crazy, but.....
    I have a 79 XS100 SF that I bought late last summer and have been riding a little this summer and I didn't think it had a kick starter on it. Was that on option, could it have been removed, or am I just blind?

Comment

some had the emergency kick start option and some did not
      I know my 78e has it.. but i do not know which all models had it.. some of the other guys that have been with these bikes for years can answer that part of the question
      Shawn
      78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
      78 XS1100E Parts
      www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

I may be completely wrong, but I believe that the Specials never had the kick start - didn't special start in 79? I know 79's can have kick start, as mine does and I think they eliminated kick starts on XS11s completely for 80 and 81 in the states.
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Kick start

Its definitely a 79 and its definitely a special, the production date was 11th month of of 1978, there were no specials made for the 1st year of production in 1978.....the kickstart shaft sticks out the side of the clutch engine cover and the kick start is tucked away under the frame, theres a wingnut that holds the kickstart lever in place under the frame.
          My 1978 "E" bike production date is 1st month of 1978 and its a standard for sure, it has a kickstarter as well.

Technically speaking since the special was built in 1978 you could call it a 78 special but as production runs go traditionally the new models for the following year come out in the fall, or now.

So now I have a special and a standard, but I much prefer my 78 standards looks.....oh by the way my computer is srewing up again, I'm sending this from work and my computer is going in the shop AGAIN tomorrow, piece of crap it is...so if anyone is looking for me I will be offline again for awhile.
          Bruce
          '78 Alpha
          '79 Special
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to look at the bike closely in the morning and see if it does have a kick starter on there. There's some comfort in knowing that the bike can be started if the battery is too worn down to start it.

Comment

3H4

Hey Guys,
              The Special was produced for three years '79 / '80 / '81
              All Yamahas show a build date prior to the "Titled date" it takes time to get 'em accross the Ocean.
              The kick starter was eliminated from all XS 1100's in '80.

Here's what you should consider when using the "Kick Starter" The E-box won't "tickle" the ignition if the voltage drops below a certain point (ask the Pro's) so if the battery is unable to start the bike...chances are that YOUR LEG won't do it either

However...if you pull the fuse that powers the headlight...you might have a chance
              The trick is to try and turn an 1102cc engine over fast enough to "generate Power"
              GOOD LUCK!!!

I have a "Tried & True" method...it goes like this...I try the starter and when it cranks slowly...I save what juice is in the battery...
              switch the key on...give her a big push (about 10ft.) and then jump on...pull her up in second...pop the clutch...and VIOLA!

The only "problem" with this method is 556lbs (the weight of the bike) and one of mine ('80SG) has the full Touring Pack on her...
              So when you run along side her you must be mindful of the Bags...or risk trapping your foot under one...and dropping it
              It is an Art form...and with practice can be "mastered" with relative ease.

Being a shaft drive I can push start mine before you can get the wingnut off yours...
              And besides you can keep the kick starter for other more usefull things...like Conking a Kawie rider on the head when he makes a wise-crack about XS 1100's

I think Yamaha put the kick starter on the bike so that when it broke down...and you spend hours trying to kick start it...you are to tired to walk to the Yamaha Dealer and give him a swift kick in the pants..for not telling you that 95% of the human population could not kick start an XS 1100...even if the bike ran "perfectly"

If you find yourself with nothing to do...go out and try to kick start yours...just for "fun"
              you'll get the idea...
              and you'll SOON discover...pushin' aint all that hard...
              Astalavista...BABY
              Steve

"experto crede" (L) "Believe one who speaks from experience"
              "expertus metuit" (L) "Having had experience, he fears"
              Funk & Wagnalls Standard Desk Dictionary-1936
              MO-N-STEVE
              '79 SF "MO's Missile"
              '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
              '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
              '80 SG "The BEAST"
              '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
              '81 SH "The NEW KID"
              '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

kickstart gear

I removed the gearing for the kickstart, including the shaft, out of my 78E, reason being, the metal (aluminum) part of the engine thats supposed to stop the kickstart at the end of its rotation was so badly damaged and deformed it would'nt stop the kicker anymore, looks like a previous owner got a" lot of kicks" out of his bike so to speak.Now the old 78' starts so well as it allways has for me using the electric starter, don't need a kicker.....when I get my special up-n-running gonna try the kickstart just for kicks to see if I can start it. I used the kickstart last week along with WD40 to free the pistons as the bike seized after sitting outside for 2 yrs.
                Bruce Doucette
                78 Alpha
                79 Special
                Bruce Doucette
                Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Pushin it

I have moved my 11 a few feet in the parking lot into a space but there's no way I can push it fast enough to get it to start, it's just too heavy. I live in NH so I guess i'd have to start it the easy way, always park at the top of a hill and let gravity work its magic or get some guy to push me while I hold the clutch in with the bike in 2nd . Anyway, thanks all for the info, niave me, I would have expected a kick starter to start the bike.

Comment

starter motor

If your in need of a starter motor they can be found on ebay or some on the list may have a spare for sale Michelle. I'm sure if your bike were warmed up and in good health even you could jump on the kickstart and fire it up!
                    Bruce Doucette
                    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

My starter works, I just think having a kick starter makes sense as a backup. I bought my bike from someone who parked it year round outside without a cover. It's not nice to look at and needs work but I have been able to use it. My latest problem seems to be fuel leaking. I think it's draining into the carbs and overflowing onto the engine. It's only done it twice since I bought it so I think it must be something I'm doing wrong with the petcocks.

Comment

If your carbs are overflowing, then there is prolly something not right with the floats/float valves. You can try adjusting the float height, but if that doesn't do the trick, you might need new float valves, which are pretty cheap.

Of course, if the carbs overflow just sitting there not running, then in addition to the floats needing looked into, there is something wrong with the petcocks - perhaps a petcock rebuild is in order?

I'd put the floats on higher priority if I had to choose between the two.
                        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

And don't forgett to check your oil after a gas overflow. Sometimes the gas ends up in the crankcase. Not good.
                          Marty in NW PA
                          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Kick Start

Hey youse guys...

Are you tryin' to confuse me...or what?

Desert1 said "if your bike were warmed up and in good health, even you could jump on the kick start and fire it up"

Now I know that I'm gettin a little old-n-all, but if your bike were warm and in good health...why would you need to kick start it?
                            Have you ever seen those guys that walk like one leg is six inches longer than the other?
                            it's because they went around trying to kick start XS 1100s (for no reason)

Possibly if you had starter failure...or the starter button broke...or you needed to put the motor on TDC, or something like that, one would consider "leggin it" but with low power or any other malady...if the starter wont do it...you can rest assured your leg probably won't either.

With an E-Box you need enough amps to power the coils...and in HEI ignitions...you need qiute a few...a "low battery" will NOT provide enough amps to power the Ignition system...and when you attempt to kick start it...you cannot spin the "generator" long & fast enough to power-up the ignition.
                            that's why pulling the fuse to the headlamp can help...remember when the bike thinks the motor is starting...the headlight comes on...
                            Your best and safest option is to get some quality 14g (or better)
                            copper wire and some good alligator clips (from radio shack) and cut two 6ft lengths of wire, one black, one red...then Solder the clips on each end of the wires...and you now have your very own MOTORCYCLE JUMPER CABLES
                            And while your buddy is struggling to get his wingnut off...you simply unroll your cables...remove the right side cover and locate both of the connectors on the starter solenoid (positive & negative) attach your cables to the connectors on the bike with the "dead battery" first...then attach the other ends to any 12volt power source (any other 12v battery, car, boat, MC etc...)
                            Make sure that the connections are the same to both batteries IE;
                            Positive to positive/ negative to negative...then wait a second...and VROOOM! Works EVERYTIME!
                            if you "jump start" from another motorcycle be sure to have the motor running on the bike that is giving the jump...or you may end up with two bikes that won't start
                            disregard for cars. trucks, motorhomes etc...as they have great big batteries!!!
                            Now I know that someone will come along and say "what if you have NO outside 12v power source, to get a jump from?"
                            Well remember on my other post...I said "I have a tried and true method" It still stands...if you got dash lights...YOU CAN PUSH START IT
                            Now Michelle I know what you're probably thinkin' that may work for a 6ft 2in 220lb brute... like me...but on cold winter mornings when she's being cranky(no pun) I would save the battery...pull the choke 1/2 way out and walk her out of the cul-de-sac where I live to a "very small slope" about a 1/2 block long THEN I give her the "big push" that "Macho" stuff only goes so far
                            I'll agree with the others about the gas leak...it is a MUCH more important problem...that should be "solved" imediately...to ward off catastrophic engine failure... But I'll post more about that on another thread
                            Good Luck
                            Steve

"alia tentanda via est." (L) "Another way must be tried"

"possunt quia posse videntur" (L)
                            "they can, because they think they can"
                            MO-N-STEVE
                            '79 SF "MO's Missile"
                            '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
                            '80 SG "The BEAST"
                            '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
                            '81 SH "The NEW KID"

Comment

LEAKY CARBS

Hello Again!
                              Now about those pesky carbs... there are several very good tech articles about the xs1100 carbs and how to fix the "problems" with them.
                              Being a "newbie" you may not have had the time to find, or read them.
                              So let me try and offer you some practical advise on how to avoid "ruining" your motor.
                              The fuel system consists of the tank, the petcocks, the fuel vacum diaphram (octopus) and the carbs.
                              It seems like the most "common" problem is the "pointer" on the petcock (there are 2 on the tank) and the "confusion" begins with "which way do you turn it?" some people think it's the line...some think it's the "paddle"
                              the "correct" way is the little "arm" or "paddle" should "point" to the position you desire...IE: ON, PRI, RES or OFF
                              gasoline SHOULD flow only when the Motor is RUNNING (fuel vacum diaphram) or when you switch to PRI...(note I said SHOULD)
                              If you leave the petcocks ON and you have a "weak" or "bad" or "stuck" needle & seat then gas WILL continue to flow...after you shut it off.
                              If the fuel vacum diaphram (octopus) is bad or leaking...then gas WILL flow after you shut it off.
                              There are PLENTY of articles to show you how to fix those problems...but let me offer you some useful advise in the interim
                              you said "and on to the Motor" I take that to mean "it is dripping onto the motor" which can only mean it's dripping out of the airbox or air horns...
                              and that can only be bad..If you suspect that your bike has leaked fuel into the airbox...you shoud NOT start the bike!!!
                              ONE "sneeze" (backfire) could be curtains for your motor...at the VERY LEAST you will be drawing un-metered fuel into the intakes and that could cause overheating!(in minutes)
                              If you have had "leaking" problems before, you'll have them again
                              (guaranteed)
                              If you park the bike level (front tire is taller) then the fuel leaks "backwards" into the airbox...if you should happen to park "downhill" (or on the centerstand) with the front tire "lower" then fuel can leak into the MOTOR...and that could spell DOOM!!
                              Here's a "quick check method" if you even SUSPECT (or smell)a gas leak...remove the oil fill cap, and take a "clean" twig or stick (about 10 inches long) and insert it into the crankcase until it reaches the OIL...then remove it and with a lighter try to "light" the stick (away from the machine) if it's "pure oil" it will NOT burn, it will "bubble & smoke" if it's "polluted" with gas it will burn INSTANTLY...should this be the case...DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE...or START THE MOTOR...Bearing failure WILL result.(and it don't take long)
                              Now if all this "scares" you...don't let it...just do like me-n-the wife do with ALL THREE of our XS1100's
                              WE think fuel WILL leak everytime we stop...so prior to dismounting we turn the petcocks OFF and idle the bike for a minute or two to lower the fuel level in the carbs...leaving the "margin of error" in OUR favor.
                              If your octopus is leaky or bad...then fuel WILL flow without the motor running. and there's VERY little you can do X-cept repair it.
                              In either case leaking fuel is not only DANGEROUS...it's potentially a "motor killer"
                              I've rode one of my bikes ALL day and had NO leaks, and when I go out in the AM...the airbox has a 1/2 cup of gasoline in it!! and that's with the petcocks turned OFF!!
                              This "problem " can "come-n-go" WITHOUT warning, and it can be the result of several different factors...your best defense is to TURN OFF THE GAS...EVERYTIME you stop. (and pray for good needles)
                              One very small piece of anything can stick the needle...and your tank will empty in a BIG hurry...HUH...ROB
                              My best advise is to completely "check" your fuel system and still act like gas WILL leak EVERYTIME!!
                              Because you may only get one chance! and you don't want to try your luck...do you?
                              Good Luck with it...
                              Steve

"experientia docet stultos" (L) "Expierence teaches even fools"
                              MO-N-STEVE
                              '79 SF "MO's Missile"
                              '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
                              '80 SG "The BEAST"
                              '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
                              '81 SH "The NEW KID"

Comment

Working...
                              X