No announcement yet.

find more grunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I had 3 different 78e speedos and they ALL read LOW. I found out that 100 kph on the 78e speedo was 107 on the accurate digital. 160 on the 78e read 180 on the digital. Got a couple of tickets from radar cops at 120 kph when the goddammed speedo was reading only 105 or so. Told the cops their radars were way inaccurate, but got no joy. For some dumb reason I'd always thought the rev counter read slightly high, probably because every 'expert' tells you that speedos are always high and never low. No way! The 78e rev counter seems bang on for accuracy - at 8000 revs the digital reads 202 kph on my bike. Just under redline (8300 - 8400) read 213 kph once or twice. Have yet to crack redline in 5th.

Comment

grunt tweak

hi guys,
      I pick up my jets tommorrow and then install and ride, If the weather is good. was thanksgiving here in ontario yesterday, rain today ,wah,! Beautiful day and i was out and about. My plugs didnt even have a tan or carbon ring on them, As I said ill start at th 142.5 and see how that works. should i get a set of 145 s as well to play with. my bike doesnt like a lot of change. Carb sync is a battle with mine as it is.this motor has chnged since the beginning of the season.Probably didnt have enough K s afetr refinements to igniton and carbs. ive been driving lean all along.

PPg whats your elevation and set up on your bike.Im pretty well level. I opted out to drill my air box ,perhaps to much air will be the result. Anyway mine seems to breath pretty good. Im hoping for a bit more mid range and cruising horses in reserve and to bring the richness up so I dont burn out a valve. With this fall weather if I can gain a little more richness then in the summer months next year the richness should (hopefully ) be bang on. I envy you PPg youre just hitting your summer time. Im running out of nice days here.Dang!
      steve
      Steve

Comment

Yeah well, summer down here hasn't been co-operating much lately, new snow on the hills yesterday, a high of 8 deg and a cold southerly howling in from antarctica - 4 metre swells on the east coast. Been raining constant for weeks and blowing a gale on and off. Summer - yeah right! My test runs are low elevation mate - about 100 ft or so. Bike setup - 4-1, k&n, dynacoils, drilled box, 47.5 pilots, 145 mains, later model cams, 1196 kit, port job. The power increase is mostly low and midrange rather than top end. The extra 'kick' tails off at 8000.
        Last edited by pgg; 10-15-2003, 12:58 AM.

Comment

weather

PPg your bike sounds fun. Ive learned so much the last year on this site.Sorry about your weather.ours here flip flops all over . Im live just 30 minutes from one of the great lakes here. Lake huron on one side , georgian bay on the other,Beautiful country side to ride in and all paved. summer time here is party time. We like a small drop of brew. My bike is a 79 f. Its run well over the years .I up graded this year and thats the reason Ive ended up tweaking. of course I love this stuff finding a right combination. Im sticking with the stock pilots for now. got to get the mains in,. As i said I just need a bit more richness. I thought of a big bore .Didnt really like the results for some of the guys/. Thinking if i just got the valves done and determine if i need anything else while the tops off ill do that.Been doing some reading on porting.i cant do it but its nice to know what the hell people are talking about. Thats a plan down the road. anyway I do have lots of grunt with this bike and I think other than the lean problem thats all Im going to get for now,Hope fully the new mains help a bit.This bike still moves prttey good for 24 years old and 500lbs +.
          Did you see the 78 on ebay for sale? Yummy.
          Take care and i hope sunny skies come your way. Ill let you know how the bike runs after I finish.
          Steve

Comment

Working...
          X